GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Neat little things you may not have known about your GX

Old 12-22-04, 10:56 AM
rjfiore1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neat little things you may not have known about your GX

All
I was wondering if maybe we could add some of the cool things that are in our GX that may not be that apparent to the general population, except of course to the car finatics! I have found...
That you can auto start your GX by turning and quickly releasing the key...
The sunroof air deflector automatically adjusts to cut down wind noise around 50 mph...
the truck beeps at you when you do something stupid and it tries to correct...
Old 12-22-04, 12:53 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The side view mirrors tilt downward in REVERSE so you can see the curb while backing into a parking space.

There's the double set of sun visors, so one can be used on the driver's/passenger's side window and the second one can be used for the windshield.

If you haven't already done so, check out the Lexus all weather mats. I keep mine in the truck all the time. They are really heavy duty and look great.
Old 12-22-04, 01:33 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Originally Posted by rjfiore1
All
I was wondering if maybe we could add some of the cool things that are in our GX that may not be that apparent to the general population, except of course to the car finatics! I have found...
That you can auto start your GX by turning and quickly releasing the key...
The sunroof air deflector automatically adjusts to cut down wind noise around 50 mph...
the truck beeps at you when you do something stupid and it tries to correct...

Hmmm, when you said "general population", I assumed non GX owners who participate in the this forum. The GX owners know EVERYTHING about their truck, well, almost everything
Old 12-22-04, 01:57 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gs400jon
Hmmm, when you said "general population", I assumed non GX owners who participate in the this forum. The GX owners know EVERYTHING about their truck, well, almost everything
yup, for me, this is old news that we figured out a long time ago. btw, who was the guy who told us these features? I don't think he's here anymore!
Old 12-23-04, 08:38 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Found out a new one today. I always knew the kids could watch and listen to a DVD with the headphones while I listed to the radio or CD player.

Today, my son figured out he could listen and control his CD through the rear screen using the and wireless headphones while I listened to FM. I thought he could only do movies. Too cool.
Old 12-24-04, 07:38 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by steevr
Found out a new one today. I always knew the kids could watch and listen to a DVD with the headphones while I listed to the radio or CD player.

Today, my son figured out he could listen and control his CD through the rear screen using the and wireless headphones while I listened to FM. I thought he could only do movies. Too cool.
yeah, that is possible. What would be cool is if the front has a different radio station than the rear, and the front can listen to a different cd than the rear, and so on. Maybe that's the next technology in the next GX.
Old 12-24-04, 10:45 AM
whazzup
Driver School Candidate

OK. This is weird. I got this from a guy who works for Lexus.

If you try to open the 2 (slow opening) containers on the center console at the exact same time, they take almost exactly the same time to open. The front windows and the rear windows are synchronized as well, within a few milliseconds. It's apparently a Lexus thing.
Old 01-03-05, 08:05 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rx900
yeah, that is possible. What would be cool is if the front has a different radio station than the rear, and the front can listen to a different cd than the rear, and so on. Maybe that's the next technology in the next GX.

radio station is not doable.. but cd is doable.. just drop an audio cd in the rear dvd player and then they can play that.. its not exactly what u wanted , but a work around..

another thing thats cool is setting the door locks..
i have my gx lock all doors when i move the gear shifter out of park.. and unlock all doors when the shifter is in park
works wonders
Old 01-10-05, 11:23 PM
et415
Rookie

The side view mirrors tilt downward in REVERSE so you can see the curb while backing into a parking space..
I just got a 2004 in Dec. My side mirrors don't tilt in reverse. Is this an option?
Old 01-10-05, 11:34 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Originally Posted by et415
I just got a 2004 in Dec. My side mirrors don't tilt in reverse. Is this an option?
Make sure the mirror switch is set to the left or right side. If it's in the middle, the mirrors won't tilt in reverse.
Old 01-11-05, 12:47 PM
et415
Rookie

Make sure the mirror switch is set to the left or right side. If it's in the middle, the mirrors won't tilt in reverse.
What do ya know...It worked! Thnx!

So this definitely qualified for this string....
Old 01-11-05, 07:29 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kash
radio station is not doable.. but cd is doable.. just drop an audio cd in the rear dvd player and then they can play that.. its not exactly what u wanted , but a work around..

another thing thats cool is setting the door locks..
i have my gx lock all doors when i move the gear shifter out of park.. and unlock all doors when the shifter is in park
works wonders
How the heck do you do that? Can somebody point me to the right page in the manual or perhaps just tell me how? That would be fantastic! I can't tell you how many times I've gone around to open the back door and forgotten it was automatically locked when I put the car in gear! It's driving us both nuts! Please do tell... How did yo do that?
Old 01-11-05, 07:37 PM
et415
Rookie

Originally Posted by bareyb
How the heck do you do that?
It's in the owners manual, but when I tried to program the locks, it didn't work. Next week I'm going to go into the dealer for my complimentary 30 day service. They're supposed to do all the customization at this service.

Doors locking when you shift out of park is the default, so your GX should already do this. I'm going to have them switch the default so that it locks when the car goes faster than 15 mph (instead of when shifting out of park) (so if I go get the car and drive slowly to the door, I don't have to unlock the doors again).

My dealer (Longo Lexus in El Monte, CA) has a sheet that has all the different customization options. You should ask your dealer.
Old 01-12-05, 01:58 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by et415
It's in the owners manual, but when I tried to program the locks, it didn't work. Next week I'm going to go into the dealer for my complimentary 30 day service. They're supposed to do all the customization at this service.

Doors locking when you shift out of park is the default, so your GX should already do this. I'm going to have them switch the default so that it locks when the car goes faster than 15 mph (instead of when shifting out of park) (so if I go get the car and drive slowly to the door, I don't have to unlock the doors again).

My dealer (Longo Lexus in El Monte, CA) has a sheet that has all the different customization options. You should ask your dealer.
To customize the door locking/unlocking, the procedure, from my memory, I think it around pg 60 in the manual (definitely within the first 100 pages).

These are some of the functions that you can have Lexus changes (formally C-BEST, now called LPS) for free (at least the first time).

However, these are also the only ones that a user can program themselves. It does work as I have done them all.

Check the manual, but basically it involves getting in, shutting the door, put hand brake on, then put the Shift lever in P or in N (depending on which function you are doing) and then turn key to ON (not Start) and then with 10seconds hold the lock side (or unlock side again depending on the function you are changing) of the driver side door lock switch for 5 seconds and releasing. The doors will then lock and unlock once by themselves to acknowledge the change after you release.

BTW, the functions are NOT mutually exclusive. That is you can have the doors lock when shifted out of Park AND lock when you go over 13mph. Similary you can have the doors unlock when you open the drivers door within 10 seconds of taking the key out AND when you shift to P.
Old 01-12-05, 05:03 PM
lyxxsx1
Driver

Found this via latest Lexus Newsletter email: http://www.lexus.com/home/faqs/lps.html

PDF format of the LPS options can be downloaded.

Enjoy,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Neat little things you may not have known about your GX