GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Neat little things you may not have known about your GX

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-05, 02:33 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by itsZep
Like if I get out of my car in my garage at home and return to my car in an hour....... all the doors will be locked.

It must be on some timer as a safety measure?
I'm going to check this out tonight. Thanks Mark, I didn't know that it does this.
Old 02-23-05, 03:08 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

re: Auto locking once you leave vehicle

it can be scary.....because one time I was over at a friends house and we were in his driveway talking......so i left my keys in my car ignition.......and the doors suddenly locked........i was like "oh my i forgot"......luckily i lived close and my buddy ran me home to get my other key......but what if you were like out at the lake somewhere.......?
Old 02-23-05, 03:46 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the auot locking feature only occurred when you unlocked the doors using the key fob but didn't open any door for 30 seconds. At which point the doors would relock. My Acura does this as well.

It's supposed to be a safety feature incase you accidently hit the unlock button.

Additionally, I know Toyota's and Hondas have a lockout prevention feature in their systems. If you leave the keys in the ignition, and hit the power door lock button on the driver's side, it will lock, then immediately unlock the driver's door to prevent you from locking your keys in the car.

Now if you happen to leave them on the seat, you'll be out of luck.
Old 02-23-05, 03:58 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go Hawk.......ya know I think thats what I did......i left them on the seat or console......
Old 02-23-05, 07:50 PM
luckylex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be scary if it just locked on its own. My car is often parked by valet guys who keep the keys in the cup holder. They would always be getting locked out!

Mark (Zep), you can get the info on the Lexus Personalized Settings available from the web sites. Usually the dealer web sites are easier to locate that information, but I think it is also at the FAQ at lexus.com.
Old 05-08-05, 09:54 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

FYI - Personalize features list pamphlet

When I picked up my new 05' GX, I got a "ton" of paperwork and freebies from dealer, one of them was a one page, tri-fold, color brochure listing ALL of the personal functions, available for the GX (...not much...), but it let's you CHOOSE the settings you want "aka chinese take out menu" and at the bottom it asks for the VIN#, Customer Signature and date, baskcally to acknowledge that these are the setting you want changed....

Available settings:

Door Lock Systesms:
5 settings alread mentioned throughout this thread (found on PAGE 2 of this thread)

Power Window and Moon Roof
Holding down the UNLOCK button on the Keyfob 2.5 secons will OPEN all windows and moonroof (ON/OFF) - Default on

Lighting Systesm
Illumination of Cabin light, after closing the door, the interior lights can be adjust to stay on for the following:

7.5 seconds
15 seconds (standard)
30 seconds

Illumination of the Interior lights When the ignition switch is turned from acc to lock the interior cabin light can be programmed for the following:

Not Illuminated
To Illuminate (standard)

Delaying headlight to turn off. After turning off the ignition and all the doors are closed, if the headlights are ON or in the AUTO position, the lights can be programmed for the following:

Turn off immediately, when the vehicle is turned oof and the drivers door is opened.
Turn off in 30 seconds (standard)
Turn off in 60 seconds
Turn off in 90 seconds

Sensitivity of the automatic headlights

1 Very Light
3 Normal (standard)
5 Very Dark

Tilt Steering Wheel - Auto tilt away of steering wheel

Automatically move up and away from the drivers position setting (standard)
Remain in the current position, as set by the driver.

Did anyone else get this brochure?

Last edited by lonewolf69; 05-08-05 at 10:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gixie (08-19-21)
Old 05-08-05, 07:28 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
FYI - Personalize features list pamphlet

When I picked up my new 05' GX, I got a "ton" of paperwork and freebies from dealer, one of them was a one page, tri-fold, color brochure listing ALL of the personal functions, available for the GX (...not much...), but it let's you CHOOSE the settings you want "aka chinese take out menu" and at the bottom it asks for the VIN#, Customer Signature and date, baskcally to acknowledge that these are the setting you want changed....

Available settings:

Door Lock Systesms:
5 settings alread mentioned throughout this thread (found on PAGE 2 of this thread)

Power Window and Moon Roof
Holding down the UNLOCK button on the Keyfob 2.5 secons will OPEN all windows and moonroof (ON/OFF) - Default on

Lighting Systesm
Illumination of Cabin light, after closing the door, the interior lights can be adjust to stay on for the following:

7.5 seconds
15 seconds (standard)
30 seconds

Illumination of the Interior lights When the ignition switch is turned from acc to lock the interior cabin light can be programmed for the following:

Not Illuminated
To Illuminate (standard)

Delaying headlight to turn off. After turning off the ignition and all the doors are closed, if the headlights are ON or in the AUTO position, the lights can be programmed for the following:

Turn off immediately, when the vehicle is turned oof and the drivers door is opened.
Turn off in 30 seconds (standard)
Turn off in 60 seconds
Turn off in 90 seconds

Sensitivity of the automatic headlights

1 Very Light
3 Normal (standard)
5 Very Dark

Tilt Steering Wheel - Auto tilt away of steering wheel

Automatically move up and away from the drivers position setting (standard)
Remain in the current position, as set by the driver.

Did anyone else get this brochure?
no way! I barely got a brochure of the car when i picked up my GX!!!
Old 08-08-05, 03:20 PM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Default Waterproof key cover

I accidentally left my key in swimming shorts and when I found out I was already in the swimming pool for at least an hour. The good news is the key still works
Old 08-09-05, 06:50 AM
Ntwrks1
Driver School Candidate

Default Options Guide Pamphlet

http://lexus2.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/l...ted=1099421762
Old 08-09-05, 08:18 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Cool Did anyone mention that you get only ONE chance ....

I thought I would throw out a reminder here. We do have these options to chose from. But, in the words of some old philosopher, "Chose wisely, my son". You get one options change for free with your purchase. After that, you have to pay (I think it is about $75) for every time something is changed. So, think what you want, and chose all that you want to customize with. Personally, I got rid of the double unlock for the opening all the doors. But, I wish I had included the increased headlight "auto on" sensitivity. Oh well, I guess I will just have arrange for a second visit.
Old 08-09-05, 09:48 AM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ADVocate
I thought I would throw out a reminder here. We do have these options to chose from. But, in the words of some old philosopher, "Chose wisely, my son". You get one options change for free with your purchase. After that, you have to pay (I think it is about $75) for every time something is changed. So, think what you want, and chose all that you want to customize with. Personally, I got rid of the double unlock for the opening all the doors. But, I wish I had included the increased headlight "auto on" sensitivity. Oh well, I guess I will just have arrange for a second visit.
Couple of additional thoughts...

Some (not many) of the settings CAN be changed by you (without Lexus service), see the Owners Manual.

Also the fee (if any) is up to your Service guy. I have a good relationship and I have a great dealership. If the car is in for something else, they will make a change, no charge. Now they probably would not want me to abuse this and requests changes continuously, but in reality once I had them set, I see no reason to make further changes.