GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

FYI- Did you know you can auto-start your GX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-04, 06:17 AM
rjfiore1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking FYI- Did you know you can auto-start your GX?

I was reading thought the owners manual and discovered that you can start the GX w/ just a quick turn and release of the key- the starter will engage and release automatically when the truck runs. This feature was on my Mercedes E class... pretty neat!
Old 12-11-04, 09:02 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Where did you read that? it seen that the GX takes a full turn to start up .

Last edited by angelslex; 12-11-04 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-11-04, 09:23 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

I first saw this feature in a '99 Cadillac and thought it was awesome. When I picked up the GX back in June this was the first thing I tried, just for the heck of it, and boy was I happy! Give it a shot, angelslex, turn the key to the start position and let it go right away.

By the way, I've seen all the work you did on your GX - very impressive!
Old 12-11-04, 11:55 AM
steevr
Pole Position

The amount of distance that you have to turn the key is the same as any other ignition, but you don't have to hold the key in the "Start" position until it starts. Just hold it to the start position for a quik fraction of a second and release. The starter will continue to crank until it starts.

It is pretty cool. Only problem is after driving the wife's GX all weekend, I do the same with my RX on Monday morning and after it doesn't start, I then realize whose car I'm in.
Old 12-11-04, 12:01 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally posted by steevr

It is pretty cool. Only problem is after driving the wife's GX all weekend, I do the same with my RX on Monday morning and after it doesn't start, I then realize whose car I'm in.
Yup... I learned that with an RX loaner the other day...
Old 12-11-04, 03:16 PM
brent0226
Driver

Originally posted by caha14
Yup... I learned that with an RX loaner the other day...
So did I I bet the service techs were thinking "hmm idiot can't even start a car."
Old 12-11-04, 04:47 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: FYI- Did you know you can auto-start your GX?

Originally posted by rjfiore1
I was reading thought the owners manual and discovered that you can start the GX w/ just a quick turn and release of the key- the starter will engage and release automatically when the truck runs. This feature was on my Mercedes E class... pretty neat!
I knew that even before picking my truck up at the dealership. I thought everybody was aware of that feature since it's been there from day one. Once again I amaze myself at how little I know. BMW has had it for a while too.
Old 12-14-04, 01:42 PM
allisonb1013
Driver

it's an awesome feature, but remember, you can't put the truck in gear until it has finished starting. i learned that when i was in a rush one day.
Old 12-14-04, 06:48 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Talking Cant grind

It also eliminated the "grinding" when you try to "start" a car that is already running....not that I ever do that!
Old 12-14-04, 08:43 PM
luckylex
Rookie

Default Re: Cant grind

Originally posted by Knicksfan
It also eliminated the "grinding" when you try to "start" a car that is already running....not that I ever do that!
Great! Sometimes valet parkers try to start the running car!
Old 12-16-04, 02:36 PM
sickman
Driver School Candidate

This car has some great features but this auto-start has come to be my favorite during the 2 months I've owned it. Just like Steevr, the problem comes when I start my wife's RX or my pick-up trick and only turn the key halfway because I'm so used to the GX.. Its amazing such a small thing makes the car so enjoyable for me. However, the one thing I hate about my GX is that little piece that separates the 2 front cupholders. It is removeable and everytimeI lift my drink, that piece comes off. Does this happen to anyone else? I would hate to take the truck to the dealer to fix since it is such a silly thing - I can just see them roll their eyes when I bring it in.
Old 12-16-04, 02:46 PM
rjfiore1
Driver

I've only had the truck for about 2 months, but I have used the cupholder many times and have not had that happen! Maybe the type of mug? Is it rubber w/ say, ripples or something??
Old 12-16-04, 08:04 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Sickman,

I never realized that piece came off until you mentioned it. I just went out to the garage, and sure enough, ours popped off very easily. I could see how that could come off with a big cup or mug. We've only had cans of soda in it so far, so it's never had a chance to come off. I doubt getting a new piece would solve the problem, since ours is the same.

You could glue the piece in place, but then you couldn't remove it for cleaning, etc. What about putting some kind of a tacky product to help keep in place. Anyone else please chime in if you have any product solutions.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by steevr; 12-16-04 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-17-04, 06:20 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

Originally posted by sickman
This car has some great features but this auto-start has come to be my favorite during the 2 months I've owned it. Just like Steevr, the problem comes when I start my wife's RX or my pick-up trick and only turn the key halfway because I'm so used to the GX.. Its amazing such a small thing makes the car so enjoyable for me. However, the one thing I hate about my GX is that little piece that separates the 2 front cupholders. It is removeable and everytimeI lift my drink, that piece comes off. Does this happen to anyone else? I would hate to take the truck to the dealer to fix since it is such a silly thing - I can just see them roll their eyes when I bring it in.
that piece is both removable and adjustable!! you don't want to tack it down with anything. if you pull it out and look at the bottom, you will notice 3 grooves. they are there so that you can line it up with the ridge in the actual cup holder compartment. that way you can move it over for an oversized cup, or have it positioned so that 2 soda cans can fit. plus it has little wings to make sure the cup/can/bottle is snug (no tippage).
Old 12-17-04, 04:16 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed it in my Land Cruiser as well. It is true how such a small thing can be so enjoyable.

Quick Reply: FYI- Did you know you can auto-start your GX?