GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

NHTSA now says your xenon conversions are illegal

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-04, 10:50 PM
brent0226
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NHTSA now says your xenon conversions are illegal

Apparently came out within the past month or so?

"Under NHTSA's new policy, replacement headlamps must comply with all applicable photometry requirements using the same light source as the OEM equipment. For example, the rule would now prohibit replacing a halogen-based system with high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps that otherwise meet all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108."

http://www.mwerks.com/artman/publish...icle_653.shtml
Old 12-14-04, 01:29 PM
allisonb1013
Driver

technically speaking, any aftermarket (non-OEM) equipment installed on your vehicle is illegal.

as far as the lights go, that's why they all say "For offroad use Only". No one who produces high output bulbs claims to have approved replacements.
Old 12-14-04, 03:38 PM
brent0226
Driver

Originally posted by allisonb1013
technically speaking, any aftermarket (non-OEM) equipment installed on your vehicle is illegal.
I'm pretty sure you're incorrect on this. As long as a modification is DOT approved or doesn't violate any laws, it is legal. There are no laws saying you can't purchase aftermarket wheels, suspension, etc.

as far as the lights go, that's why they all say "For offroad use Only". No one who produces high output bulbs claims to have approved replacements.
It doesn't matter how they're labeled. It would still be illegal to have these lights on your vehicle. It may cause you to fail inspection. But then again, I don't think most shops would cast doubt on seeing HIDs installed in a Lexus, since many Lexus are available with HIDs from the factory.
Old 12-14-04, 04:02 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Old news... (about 3 months old)
Old 12-14-04, 09:11 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Big deal

Why make a big deal over that law. No one cares or enforces it. HID lights are about the lowest priority of any illegal problems on the road. Just get them and enjoy just don't blind others and you will be ok.
Old 12-14-04, 10:00 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally posted by brent0226
I'm pretty sure you're incorrect on this. As long as a modification is DOT approved or doesn't violate any laws, it is legal.
FYI, DOT aka Dept of Transportation, federal or local level DOES NOT approve anything. DOT simply states guidelines for manufacturers to adhere to. OEM HID's are DOT compliant which is registered. If any labeling from an aftermarket company claims "DOT Approved" it's bogus.
Old 12-15-04, 06:29 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

Originally posted by brent0226
I'm pretty sure you're incorrect on this. As long as a modification is DOT approved or doesn't violate any laws, it is legal. There are no laws saying you can't purchase aftermarket wheels, suspension, etc.

It doesn't matter how they're labeled. It would still be illegal to have these lights on your vehicle. It may cause you to fail inspection. But then again, I don't think most shops would cast doubt on seeing HIDs installed in a Lexus, since many Lexus are available with HIDs from the factory.
If you read your state motor vehicle laws, you will find that any modifications (non-OEM) made to a vehicle are illegal. Fortunately for us, no one enforces this. In fact, some states are so ridiculous (Massachusetts), it is even illegal to put a sticker on your vehicle that has the name of a ".com" website unless that vehicle is registered to that company. Trust me, the first thing you learn when you seriously mod cars is to check all applicable laws for the state you live in and any that you plan to travel in. I've been doing this stuff for many years.
Old 12-16-04, 09:09 AM
lexusnc
Driver

There is no question that the HID mod is illegal, I would like to know if anyone knows of anyone (in a GX or other Lexus for the matter of that) that has received a citation for this infraction. I can believe that if you are driving around in a kia and have HID's blazing in other driver's eyes you might get noticed, but how many Police Officers know which Lexus vehicles come with HIDs? Also how many even care? It is a risk I am willing to take on both the GX470 my wife drives and the RX300 I drive because the increased visibility at night and in bad weather overwhelmingly outweigh the miniscule risk of what in NC amounts to a $50.00 equipment violation ticket.
Old 12-16-04, 12:36 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by lexusnc
There is no question that the HID mod is illegal, I would like to know if anyone knows of anyone (in a GX or other Lexus for the matter of that) that has received a citation for this infraction. I can believe that if you are driving around in a kia and have HID's blazing in other driver's eyes you might get noticed, but how many Police Officers know which Lexus vehicles come with HIDs? Also how many even care? It is a risk I am willing to take on both the GX470 my wife drives and the RX300 I drive because the increased visibility at night and in bad weather overwhelmingly outweigh the miniscule risk of what in NC amounts to a $50.00 equipment violation ticket.
What you say does make sense. With California's fiscal problems, the CHP, sheriff and city law enforcement are just itching to stop you for any violation. I would guess that as long as a conversion kit's HID's don't blind an oncoming cop, the probability of being ticketed has to be pretty remote compared to illegal window tinting and no front license plate.