GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Bluetooth GX Phones

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-04, 05:00 AM
Nas
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth GX Phones

Does anyone know what bluetooth phones the GX accepts from providers Verizon or Cingular, etc? Also, could someone please explain how Bluetooth exactly works, and what it does.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-04, 07:04 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Nas,

I'm not the one to answer your questions on this one, since I too am curious, but I have been told that with your bluetooth phone, you do NOT have to get a speaker kit installed in your car and you can pipe your phone calls through the GX's Audio System and use the steering wheel controls as well as the Navigation screen to operate. This would be awesome, but hopefully someone on here can tell us more about this!
Old 11-23-04, 08:09 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

I have Bluetooth and use it with my Acura TL 2004. From the appearances, it looks like the functionality is identical to the Lexus. My carrier is AT&T/Cingular (Same company now) and I use the Siemens S56 along with both my car as well as a separate Bluetooth headset by Jabra (BT200). I was one of the first adopters of BT nearly 3 years ago. Works as expected through speakers in the car (stereo/DVD mutes while your on the phone). Push a button on one of the stalks on the steering column say "Call Home". The phone dials and you carry on the call hands free. If you are stil on the phone when you turn the car off, the hands free function will continue to work. You can also transfer the call back to the phone itself and leave the car using it as a standard cell.
Old 11-23-04, 02:59 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bunka
I have Bluetooth and use it with my Acura TL 2004. From the appearances, it looks like the functionality is identical to the Lexus. My carrier is AT&T/Cingular (Same company now) and I use the Siemens S56 along with both my car as well as a separate Bluetooth headset by Jabra (BT200). I was one of the first adopters of BT nearly 3 years ago. Works as expected through speakers in the car (stereo/DVD mutes while your on the phone). Push a button on one of the stalks on the steering column say "Call Home". The phone dials and you carry on the call hands free. If you are stil on the phone when you turn the car off, the hands free function will continue to work. You can also transfer the call back to the phone itself and leave the car using it as a standard cell.
Bunka,

I heard that the 05 GXs have voice activation for the NAV. I am not sure if your Acura NAV has the same capabilities, but do you think the voice activation in the NAV for the GXcan be intergrated into using your blue tooth compatible phone? Such as just saying to CALL home, instead of pressing it? Either way, even if just pressing the button, that is cool.
Old 11-23-04, 10:33 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Voice activation on all these cars is pretty similar. You first have to "let the system know" that you want it to listen to you for a command. That's why you have to push a button, lever, etc. You push the "notification" button and the system "listens" to your "voice command". If it simply was listening all the time, it would be trying to do all kinds of things. Just think if you were having a conversation with a passanger and said..."I think I'll call home later" and the system was always on, it would try to call home right then (Bad Idea). This "notification" button is on ALL of these cars. Was on my analog cellular in my voice activate '97 BMW 740iL, in the digital cellular on my "voice activated" 2001 Mercedes CLK55 ///AMG and is also on my 04TL and works just like all the others did but since it's Bluetooth, I don't ever hve to plug it in the car to use it. I've left the phone in my golf bag in the trunk and been able to answer a hands free call as well as make voice activated calls without even being able to reach the phone. What can I say but... "IT'S SUPER COOL!"
Old 11-25-04, 09:50 PM
tcesario
Driver School Candidate

Voice activation on all these cars is pretty similar. You first have to "let the system know" that you want it to listen to you for a command. That's why you have to push a button, lever, etc. You push the "notification" button and the system "listens" to your "voice command". If it simply was listening all the time, it would be trying to do all kinds of things. Just think if you were having a conversation with a passanger and said..."I think I'll call home later" and the system was always on, it would try to call home right then (Bad Idea). "
Well, this is not entirely true. My aftermarket Parrot CK3000 and a compatible phone uses "magic word" or "wordspotting" such that you don't have to use a button/lever to wake the system. It is *entirely* voice activated. Say "telephone" or whatever key word you program, and the system starts listening for your command. I don't know if the new Lexus systems are like this or not, just pointing out that the technology is available.

-Tony
Old 11-26-04, 06:35 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

tcesario - I think the key comment was "after market". Yes, that technology is out there but to my knowledge it has not been implemented by any manufacturer (most likely for the reasons I stated above). I guess we will learn when someone get the new '05. One other thing that is VERY important is that the BT phone you get needs to have the "Headset" feature. A lot of people on the Acura site have BT phones without the proper features and now can't see things on their display (or even in some cases properly work the phones) without certain features. The things they don't have are (information on charge level of cell battery on car display, can't transfer a call off the car to the phone when leaving auto, etc). If your getting a BT phone for christmas, make CERTAIN it is one of the ones supported by Lexus.
Old 11-26-04, 02:47 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default BlueTooth

I guess we will learn when someone gets the new '05.
Lexus Offers Upgraded Navigation System on More Models for 2005: Bluetooth® Wireless Capability Added to GX 470

09/07/2004

Lexus, one of the first companies to offer DVD-based satellite navigation systems in all its models, employs a fourth-generation version of the system with enhanced screen graphics, more points-of-interest and increased voice-command capability for several of its 2005 vehicles.

The rollout of the upgraded navigation system began for model-year 2004 with the ES 330, LS 430 and the LX 470 luxury utility vehicle. The GX 470, RX 330 and new RX 400h get the system for 2005 (standard for RX 400h).

Also new for 2005, the navigation system for the GX 470 gains Bluetooth® wireless connectivity for 2005 (it was added to the LS 430 and LX 470 in 2004). Bluetooth® is among the new features that make this navigation system one of the most versatile in the industry.
Bluetooth® technology uses radio signals to allow compatible Bluetooth®-enabled cellular telephones to wirelessly connect with the navigation system. Doing so allows the customer to transfer personal phone books to the navigation system and make hands-free phone calls. Customers can place a hands-free call using one of four methods: (1) by using the keypad on the navigation system to dial a number, (2) by selecting their handset phonebook stored in one of two phonebook settings, (3) by selecting a POI (point of interest) or (4) by using the one-touch dial feature.

To help avoid driver distraction, the one-touch dial feature is the only dialing function that a customer can access when the vehicle is in operation. The system can store up to 18 one-touch dial numbers. Some of the Bluetooth® functions are disabled when the vehicle is in motion, and the driver can use steering wheel controls to answer and end calls as well as adjust call volume. Each of the two phone book settings can store 500 entries.

Enhanced Navigation Features

The upgraded Lexus Navigation System uses enhanced screen graphics to improve ease of use. Customers can select from four main screen colors (blue, green, beige and gray) for optimal visibility. New map modes show freeway exit information, an intersection guide, upcoming exits, POIs at the exits, and a compass.

Building "Footprints" for Four Major Cities

Each DVD contains mapping for most major roads in the continental United States and major cities in Canada. The DVD map database for four cities - Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles and Manhattan - features "building footprint" graphics. This feature can be useful for identifying buildings and their surroundings - helpful for example, when looking for nearby landmarks or parking facilities.

The database contains five million points of interest (POIs) in the "Name/Category" search mode and seven million in the "Phone Number" search mode. Customers can locate a POI by name and category, and even by phone number (Yellow Pages only). Voice control uses 190 unique commands and 325 alternate-pronunciation commands. Climate control is now one of the convenience features that can be directed by voice command.

Due to the new and enhanced functions in the fourth-generation system, DVDs for the previous navigation system cannot be used.

~ Cap
Old 11-27-04, 06:37 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there any way our 04 users can update navi systems.. will it require just replaceing the box under the seat.. or the whole video display? i wonder if it can be doen
Old 11-27-04, 07:53 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Default here;s a beneficial link...(From LS430 forum)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=141894
Old 12-01-04, 07:06 PM
Comical99
Driver School Candidate

I was wondering what would happen if two people in the same car had bluetooth phones. For example, if you used the NAV screen to dial a phone number then would the number be dialed on both phones?
Old 12-01-04, 07:58 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default BlueTooth

Originally posted by Comical99
I was wondering what would happen if two people in the same car had bluetooth phones. For example, if you used the NAV screen to dial a phone number then would the number be dialed on both phones?
I have a Motorola BlueTooth Kit installed in my car. Wife and I have Motorola phones, but only one phone will work on the BlueTooth at a time.

~ Cap