GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

05 Sport Package Pictures!!!

Old 11-18-04, 09:21 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by davidc1
The anticipation is killing me. I'd like to see the black wood up close now. I hope I like it since that's what I ordered. Actually, I should start telling myself that I really like it.
Just go to your local Mercedes dealership and sit in one of their many AMG cars. I believe it's the same stuff....
Old 11-19-04, 12:22 AM
lexus hawaii
Driver School Candidate

Default 05 GX 470 Sport Package

CivicFerio, thanks for the info. I'm embarrased to have to ask you this question, only because I work for Lexus and info takes the slow boat to Hawaii. Any mention of HID lights?

Aloha,

Brian
Old 11-19-04, 01:19 AM
westwood
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by bunka
So essentially the Sport package is the old KDSS with the cosmetic changes? I guess the $50 difference makes more sense now. Having come from the AMG Benz which used nearly the identical cosmentic selections, I DO like the distinctive look though. After we got our RX, we noticed that there where already about 15 of them in the neighborhood (Silver/Grey). There's only two other GX's in the neighborhood now and neither is Blizzard. One is the 2003 Sand dollar but that's different enough that no one will get them confused.

Exactly. The "Sport Package" is simply the KDSS with cosmetic dark/smoked finish.
I like the KDSS in my new GX 470 (Oct. 2004), and it makes a difference
in suspension and cornering. It was hard to get one with KDSS though.

KDSS is a very worthwhile sport option in my opinion.
But I do not like the black bird-eye maple at all; it looks awful.....
The darker finish (rim) is OK but insignificant.

Although 2005 GX470 gains 35 HP, the acceleration appears basically the same (0 to 60 mph),
and it seems to require 91 octane premium gas but with same 15/19 mpg EPA rating as
my Oct. 2004 GX470. No apparent improvement in fuel efficiency.
Therefore, the difference seems insignificant as well.
But the price difference would be very significant between 2004 GX 9700G and 2005 GX
(more than $8K difference on the KDSS fully optioned).....
Old 11-19-04, 04:50 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally posted by westwood
Exactly. The "Sport Package" is simply the KDSS with cosmetic dark/smoked finish.
I like the KDSS in my new GX 470 (Oct. 2004), and it makes a difference
in suspension and cornering. It was hard to get one with KDSS though.

KDSS is a very worthwhile sport option in my opinion.
But I do not like the black bird-eye maple at all; it looks awful.....
The darker finish (rim) is OK but insignificant.

Although 2005 GX470 gains 35 HP, the acceleration appears basically the same (0 to 60 mph),
and it seems to require 91 octane premium gas but with same 15/19 mpg EPA rating as
my Oct. 2004 GX470. No apparent improvement in fuel efficiency.
Therefore, the difference seems insignificant as well.
But the price difference would be very significant between 2004 GX 9700G and 2005 GX
(more than $8K difference on the KDSS fully optioned).....
Well, resale value will be higher with the new, more powerful GX470. Merging or accelerating will undoubtedly improve. So, if it's truly only $50 more for the '05 Sport model, then it's probably a bargain considering the resale value (if you ever get rid of it down the road).
Old 11-19-04, 06:40 AM
jeremysm
Driver School Candidate

I have an AMG E55 with Silver exterior and Grey interior with the blackwood (or whatever the proper colors or phrases are to describe it). Here is my opinion: it's nice and a little different.

Now that I have the black wood in the AMG, I'd prefer my next car to have the regular maple wood. If you have maple wood, you tend to want something different...like the black wood.

The rims, seats and other options are what makes the AMG package nice (obviously for a much larger price). I like what Lexus is moving towards and the price is not too great. In my case, since the Lexus is for my wife and she already doesnt know one tenth of the current features, the sport package and changes (or KDSS) would go unnoticed.

If I get a chance, I'll grab my digital camera from the office and upload a few shots to this thread tonight.
Old 11-19-04, 07:28 AM
thurstonh3
Driver School Candidate

Default 35 hp increase is insignificant????

With all respect, a 15% increase in HP is important and will effectively change the 'quickness' of the 05 GX.
Old 11-19-04, 08:05 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by tigmd99
Well, resale value will be higher with the new, more powerful GX470. Merging or accelerating will undoubtedly improve. So, if it's truly only $50 more for the '05 Sport model, then it's probably a bargain considering the resale value (if you ever get rid of it down the road).
I too believe in the HP increase for 2005 and you don't even need the Sports Package, just a 2005 GX470 (since the engine is the same for both trims). I believe the increase in price for the 2005 model year is around $400 as someone posted earlier, but in the end it all comes down to RESALE, RESALE, RESALE.

Due to this engine upgrade, it further makes the 2005 GX470 a slightly different beast than the 2004 and not more distinctive as opposed to comparing a 2003 vs. 2004.

I remember when I got my 2001 GS430 and the HP was the same as a 2000 GS400, the cars just seemed totally different (even though not that much). I guess in this situation it was more of the actual model number change too (GS400 to GS430).

Last edited by lexguynj; 11-19-04 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-19-04, 12:37 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Default Re: 35 hp increase is insignificant????

Originally posted by thurstonh3
With all respect, a 15% increase in HP is important and will effectively change the 'quickness' of the 05 GX.
Unfortunately it doesn't. Take a look at the post on the zero to sixty and 1/4 mile times. Less than a tenth Zero to sixty and only a couple MPH faster through the quarter. The reason....Torque.. This puppy already had 320lbs of torque in '04. The weight requires torque to get moving. The HP increased 15% but the torque oonly increased 2%. Result, few differences.
Old 11-19-04, 04:32 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

And, the fuel requirement changes to 91 octane.
Old 11-19-04, 08:09 PM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

I think the engine changes were made to pass emission during towing that's why they couldn't offer a factory or dealer installed hitch on most MY03 and 04s. I also read somewhere that the EPA is lifting it's ban on 05 GX getting a dealer installed hitch (any confirmation on this?).

The LX470 didn't get the new VVT-i equip engine for the 05s, since they didn't have any issue with the emissions during towing or they didn't bother up grading it because it's an out going model. What do you guys think?

Charleston
Old 11-19-04, 10:19 PM
davidc1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

0-60 is improved by four tenths and yes, 91 octane is required but it's now ULEV. That's progress. Sure, it's only 10 lb.-ft. more but VVT improves torque across broad rpm range. This is not to say that pre '05 is suddenly obsolete, it's just nice see continuous improvement. This is what mankind is all about, "relentless pursuit".... I am sorry I am getting carried away.
Old 11-20-04, 08:06 AM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

Speaking of relentless pursuit they changed their slogan to "passionate pursuit" anybody noticed that?

Charleston
Old 11-20-04, 08:29 AM
thurstonh3
Driver School Candidate

Fortunately, it does. The torque is available at lower RPM's and consequently affects the quickness, which, BTW, is NOT solely defined by 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. I'm sure the Lexus engineers would agree with you though

Last edited by thurstonh3; 11-20-04 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-21-04, 05:38 AM
RajaReMax
Driver

I was hoping Lexus was going to jazz up the Sport Package with larger wheels & tires...similiar to the 18"wheel/tire package on the RX330...Instead Lexus made no distinctive change to the already existing wheel design, except making it darker....I remember when Nissan darkened the wheels on the old 300Turbo model and how the wheels just looked like they were covered in wheeldust...

Now I can feel good getting the '04 and saving $$$....The increased HP is not much interest to me since it already had spirited acceleration....Other than passing capability & highway onramp acceleration, I don't believe my wife & I will be down at the dragstrip...racing the GX with our 6 year old...

Disappointed- but at least the wait is finally over....Thank you for the pictures...
Old 11-21-04, 04:30 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by RajaReMax
I was hoping Lexus was going to jazz up the Sport Package with larger wheels & tires...similiar to the 18"wheel/tire package on the RX330...Instead Lexus made no distinctive change to the already existing wheel design, except making it darker....I remember when Nissan darkened the wheels on the old 300Turbo model and how the wheels just looked like they were covered in wheeldust...

Now I can feel good getting the '04 and saving $$$....The increased HP is not much interest to me since it already had spirited acceleration....Other than passing capability & highway onramp acceleration, I don't believe my wife & I will be down at the dragstrip...racing the GX with our 6 year old...

Disappointed- but at least the wait is finally over....Thank you for the pictures...
I agree with your comments. In the eight months of GX ownership, I have yet to do a full throttle pass from zero to sixty MPH. I did that more than a few times with the GS400, which was designed to do the acceleration thing. When first hearing about a possible Sport Package for 2005, bigger wheels, bigger brakes and an improved headlight setup came to mind first. Shows you how much I know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 Sport Package Pictures!!!