GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Whaddaya Think ?

Old 11-10-04, 09:44 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Whaddaya Think ?

Something im toying with..... opinions? (see nameplate on front door panels) I think there needs to be a few more chrome accents on my GX... so this is what Im considering.. Looks pretty good in person (IMO). By the way... i AM asking for opinions... so if ya don't like... say so. (not easily offended and I'll go with my on final decision anyway) Thanks Fam ! J

PS.. this is a camera phone pic... so the quality is rather... well, horrible .
Attached Thumbnails Whaddaya Think ?-gx470.jpg  

Last edited by GXLUV; 11-10-04 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-10-04, 09:45 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Question closer shot....

one moe pic
Attached Thumbnails Whaddaya Think ?-gx470_2.jpg  
Old 11-10-04, 09:46 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Question tha ova side

pic quality sucks.. i know..
Attached Thumbnails Whaddaya Think ?-gx470_3.jpg  
Old 11-10-04, 09:46 AM
cab2u
Driver School Candidate

Honestly, I think it looks silly.
Old 11-10-04, 09:53 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Talking

Originally posted by cab2u
Honestly, I think it looks silly.
Noted... However, I wonder... Do you think it looks silly on most every other SUV ? And car for that matter... Because 80% of all vehicles on the road have a nameplate in that exact location. Take a look when you get back out on the road. Thanks for your honest opinion though.. (I'm guessing you probably don't like the wheels either )

Last edited by GXLUV; 11-10-04 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-10-04, 10:08 AM
cab2u
Driver School Candidate

I just think it is cheesy to add things like that to the car. Wheels are one thing, but adding lettering, decals, it just takes away from the car. Looks like you are trying too hard.
Old 11-10-04, 10:12 AM
Randy20g
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same color. I am not a fan of more badging. I like less. But hey....it's all personal style.
Old 11-10-04, 10:19 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Originally posted by cab2u
I just think it is cheesy to add things like that to the car. Wheels are one thing, but adding lettering, decals, it just takes away from the car. Looks like you are trying too hard.
lol... again, noted..
Old 11-10-04, 10:33 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Originally posted by Randy20g
I have the same color. I am not a fan of more badging. I like less. But hey....it's all personal style.
I agree... there have been plenty of posted pics that I have looked at and thought to be garbage...but as long as the guy paying the note likes it... yanno. In fact, most people on this forum I have found don't even like the Blue Meridian color at all ... and I love it. So, it really IS all a matter of taste...and I would certainly bet on myself before anyone else. (It does look pretty decent to me, but this is just an experiment... I'll give it a few days to see if it grows on me or not)

My REAL issue is the chrome accents moreso than the badging... I think chrome wheels look better on a vehicle with a few chrome accents... My first choice is chrome door handles, but I haven't come up with a good solution to accomplish that yet.. (Looking into ES3 handles now...) Thus, I figured I'd give it a look.

Thanks again for your thoughts...
Old 11-10-04, 10:33 AM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it would look better if you could add one of those fake aluminum spoilers to the roof. Then you'd be pimpin!

Seriously though, I think it breaks up the lines of the car. That kind of extraneous crap is usually reserved for people who have a cheap ride they are trying to make look good on a budget. You have a Lexus and you have nothing to prove. I once saw a guy with a Pinto he had glued Mercedes emblems too. Now that was kind of funny. In this case I think it just cheapens the look of the car. No offense I hope...

Last edited by bareyb; 11-10-04 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-10-04, 10:55 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

i actually like part of it.

i definitely like where (and how) you did the gx470, but not liking the "L" badge. BUT i'm not a big fan of that badge to begin with. if it were me, i would stick with straight lettering. kudos for the idea though.

someone mentioned in one thread about trying to put chrome door handles. that would be a really nice touch to your truck!

.....the blue was my 2nd choice.......i just wish it was the same blue as the '01 gs.
Old 11-10-04, 10:57 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Originally posted by bareyb
I think it would look better if you could add one of those fake aluminum spoilers to the roof. Then you'd be pimpin!
lol.. your a white guy aren't cha? Anytime somebody says "you'd be pimpin"...... lol, nevermind.. If your trying to offend me.. it aint workin. Fact is... i CAN afford to do whatever I chose to do to my $50K+ vehicle, though I'm sure you simply hate to ponder that reality. In fact, I may go with the idea (operative and overlooked word here is IDEA) just to pizz people like you off. Appreciate the thoughts though... now.. roll deez

Thanks to most everyone else who don't like the idea...but chose to keep it cordial lol
Old 11-10-04, 11:09 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Originally posted by bareyb

Seriously though, I think it breaks up the lines of the car. That kind of extraneous crap is usually reserved for people who have a cheap ride they are trying to make look good on a budget. You have a Lexus and you have nothing to prove. I once saw a guy with a Pinto he had glued Mercedes emblems too. Now that was kind of funny. In this case I think it just cheapens the look of the car. No offense I hope...
LOL... You changed your post !! lol.. sooooo comical. certainly much less abrasive this time.. ROFL.. Bravo ! I'm not trying to prove anything... this is my 4th lexus... I'm just looking for chrome accents and this was an idea.. (did I say that already ??) yeah.. don't be offended by my post either..

Allison... I agree - will most likely go with just the lettering (IF I cannot get the door handles chromed or swapped with ES 3 handles) Good eye

Last edited by GXLUV; 11-10-04 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-10-04, 11:12 AM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by GXLUV
lol.. your a white guy aren't cha? Anytime somebody says "you'd be pimpin"...... lol, nevermind.. If your trying to offend me.. it aint workin. Fact is... i CAN afford to do whatever I chose to do to my $50K+ vehicle, though I'm sure you simply hate to ponder that reality. In fact, I may go with the idea (operative and overlooked word here is IDEA) just to pizz people like you off. Appreciate the thoughts though... now.. roll deez

Thanks to most everyone else who don't like the idea...but chose to keep it cordial lol
You mistook my tone. I was really just kidding and giving you a bad time. I mean come on... You aren't really seriously considering butchering a brand new Lexus like that are ya? If you are gonna post that stuff you have to be willing to hear what people REALLY think. I wasn't being hostile. I was just telling exactly what I think when I see cars that have been messed up by the owners in an attempt to make them look "faster" or "cool". I like subtlety I guess. That kind of stuff just jumps out at me as a weak attempt to fix up a car in a cheap and easy way. Why add to the clutter?
Old 11-10-04, 11:16 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts

I'm also in the camp of folks that don't like it and wouldn't do it personally, but if you like it yourself, go for it! I especially don't like the placement / look of the 'L'.

Honestly when I see something like that I wouldn't notice that the extra chrome on the side really makes the wheels stand out (which I do like BTW), but I'd immediately think that the person is trying to say "hey look at me, I'm driving a Lexus, not a Toyota". I know that isn't your reasoning here - just the first thing I'd think when I saw obvious added badging like that. To me it does not look OEM, especially the Lexus L.

Personally, I'd look for other options to pick up the chrome. How about a chrome or silver pinstipe? Think that'd set it off nicely. Maybe some chrome side step bars?

If you have to leave just one, leave the GX badge. It looks more stock than the other, but the big 'L' just looks stuck on and out of place IMO.

Bottom line though, do whatever makes YOU happy .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whaddaya Think ?