GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Whaddaya Think ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-04, 11:27 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wheels
Badging

If you have to keep the badging, the GX ones are OK but the L has got to go. If you want more chrome, I'd look into side mirror accents, bull bars, and sidesteps. These are the "traditional" accents I see on SUVs. As I do not have a GX or have immediate plans to get one, I have not looked into availability of these items. I do have an MDX and I know these items are available for it. Since my wife drives the MDX, I don't get to put these types of mods on it.

But as always, do what makes you happy. Good luck.

Last edited by Neo; 11-10-04 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-10-04, 11:28 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more I look at it... the "L" badge does kinda mess up the vehicle lines....but again I stress, this is only an experiment ..to quote myself "Something I'm toying with" (I LITERALLY have only had it on there for like 2 HOURS now...amazing to have such a response huh ! lol ) That is what this forum is FOR no? to throw ideas back and forth and get opinions... which I could not have done without putting the pics up in the first place.. I will probably stick with the GX470 lettering.. and chrome handles when I can get them.

In all seriousness... thanks for all the opinions
Old 11-10-04, 11:28 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally posted by GXLUV
Noted... However, I wonder... Do you think it looks silly on most every other SUV ? And car for that matter... Because 80% of all vehicles on the road have a nameplate in that exact location. Take a look when you get back out on the road. Thanks for your honest opinion though.. (I'm guessing you probably don't like the wheels either )
So your saying that your trying to make yours look more unique by making it "look like 80% of all vehicles..."? I guess anything can be justified. I personally think it looks OK but making a unique car look like all the other SUV's is going the wrong direction IMHO.
Old 11-10-04, 11:34 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After a quick 1 minute search:

Here is one from JAOS (available soon for the GX):

Not sure if you are into these, but these can definitely be chromed.
Old 11-10-04, 11:38 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Originally posted by bunka
So your saying that your trying to make yours look more unique by making it "look like 80% of all vehicles..."? I guess anything can be justified. I personally think it looks OK but making a unique car look like all the other SUV's is going the wrong direction IMHO.
Who said unique? Though it would be unique to the GX....which kinda looks like an Envoy from the side IMO. What I said was that I was looking for chrome accents... Im beginning to think a few of you have dyslexia... (jokes) so to be clear:

Goal: Chrome accents to accentuate the wheels
Final Decision: Most likely stick with the GX470 lettering, remove the "L", chrome the handles...
Old 11-10-04, 03:16 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

it would be great if you took out the "L: logo and left the GX470 emblem on.
Old 11-11-04, 10:06 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Appreciate the thoughts though... now.. roll deez
lol, you're a black guy aren't cha?

Sounds rude doesn't it? I don't know what was edited in bareyb's post, but there's no real excuse for racism, even if you're joking. These are vehicles we're talking about, whether they're ugly or beautiful, what color you are is irrelevant to me, and should be to anyone. If someone is ignorant to you, race baiting shouldn't come into play, especially here. Let's keep the focus on Lexus, people.
Old 11-11-04, 10:22 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally posted by LexusPride

Sounds rude doesn't it? I don't know what was edited in bareyb's post, but there's no real excuse for racism, even if you're joking. These are vehicles we're talking about, whether they're ugly or beautiful, what color you are is irrelevant to me, and should be to anyone. If someone is ignorant to you, race baiting shouldn't come into play, especially here. Let's keep the focus on Lexus, people.
Well said. Back on topic folks please
Old 11-11-04, 10:25 AM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

I like your rims

The placement of the badging is ok, but I'm not a big fan of badges.

Have you thought of putting on the chrome V8 badge instead?
Kinda like the AMG Benz that says V8Kompressor on the side.

IMHO, it looks more understated and you still get your chrome effect.

Maybe some chrome running boards?

Good luck!

Last edited by TRD-bB; 11-11-04 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-11-04, 10:44 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would go for the "GX470" badge but not the "L" logo. On the other hand it's at least not a repetition of badging on the same side of the vehicle like some folks seem to have. I'm talking about the non dealer, chromed license plate holders that say "Lexus" or "BMW", when it's a duplicate of what's on the trunk lid....as if to say, in case you missed what I'm driving, here it is again.
Old 11-11-04, 11:38 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Cool

Originally posted by LexusPride

oh my !!... ROFL.. racism ???... smh.. The irony in all of this would be evident were we not all hidden behind computer screens.. enough said. It is now apparant that most EVERYthing typed, implied, assummed or otherwise by forum members... is likely to be misconstrued, misplaced, or misunderstood.. by SOMEBODY (myself included). I suppose CONTEXT is not easily conveyed in such a medium. I admire your intention however.... to champion what's right. fyi.. I am not black..OR white for that matter.. BUT.... I AM from Detroit !! (JOKES....sheeesh, calm down - but i really AM from Detroit)

Look... thanks AGAIN to all for the opinions (positive & negative) and even more for the suggestions... Anyone offended, please accept my most sincere apologies.. I PROMISE I try to be cordial here...which should someone else choose to quote me, I wish they would include those segments...

Originally posted by GXLUV
"In all seriousness... thanks for all the opinions"
"Thanks to most everyone else who don't like the idea...but chose to keep it cordial lol"
" Thanks for your honest opinion though..."
"Thanks again for your thoughts..."
etc.. etc...

Last edited by GXLUV; 11-11-04 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-11-04, 12:07 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Just go for the Lettering. I like that. But the Symbol kinda throws it off just a bit.
Old 11-11-04, 05:34 PM
bscottj
Rookie

Thumbs down

I've got a Blue Meridian Pearl GX470 too, and my suggestion is to go with the stock look. I have the factory Chrome wheels, and it looks great. The factory chrome strip that runs under the windows is enough to go with the wheels. The extra badging just just screams "fake".

Last edited by bscottj; 11-11-04 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-12-04, 05:48 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Is a no on the Badging for me ,But you are the one that has the last decision ok. How about some tint you know the one thats silver and black(mix) not all silver .
Old 11-12-04, 08:13 AM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Default Less is More

I love the Meridian Blue & like the wheels.

I'm in the camp of stripping off the badging & making yourself mysterious. I've got everything except the Lexus "L" below the rear window off of mine. It's black, and I've added the big Toyota 4Runner exhaust pipe, the rear spoiler, tinted the front windows to match and bought the dealer grey burnished wheels.

I constantly have people asking me what the truck is. "I thought it was a Lexus, but haven't seen anything that clean & streamlined" type of stuff.

I think that the more decals/logo's/stuff you add, the more NASCAR'y ya look.

Peace!

Quick Reply: Whaddaya Think ?