GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2005 GX470 - Why I am waiting.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-04, 09:00 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 GX470 - Why I am waiting.

I test drove a 2004 GX470 this past week and found it to be everything I expected and more. It's a great vehicle!

1. The V8 Power and acceleration are great! 235HP seems good enough!
2. The handling even without KDSS is fine and the ride was smooth
2. The Cargo Space and Interior Room was what I was looking for.
3. The price my dealer was offerring me on these last 2004s seemed like a great deal (thousands off MSRP, etc..)
4. The Swing out door in the rear will get some getting used to, since it just seems dangerous to swing out a door into a parking lot where cars are passing you left and right.
5. The tallness accentuated especially in the rear look of this vehicle will also get some getting used to.

Now here is why I will NOT buy a 2004 until I get all the info in December when Lexus will announces the 2005 updates. These 2 reasons are holding me back:

1. Increased Horsepower (Standard or Option)
2. Sports Package with KDSS Option (other Clublexus Thread went into detail about this option from one of the dealer postings). Besides my Lexus dealer doesn't have any GXs on the lot or coming in with KDSS.

Due to these 2 proported changes, I am with the crowd that although impractical will not settle for a 2004 without knowing EXACTLY what is going to change in 2005.

It seems the dealers say that KDSS is nice but they deter you from that option (telling you the difference is minimal, the option is expensive, a small percentage of GXs come with this option, might as well buy a standard GX). Maybe they just want to sell you what they have and what's coming in. I believe in the KDSS, even if it's not a neccesity.

We do seem to know that the 2005 GX is NOT a total revamp of the 2004. We do know that something is up with Lexus holding out on us this long by now telling us anything about the 2005, until December (per their press release).

I do KNOW I will pay more for a 2005 no matter what happens, but if you are in no rush, and it's not a money issue and you still have some patience, I would suggest you do wait until the last minute, because even if Lexus doesn't really change anything (which is doubtful), you can still try to find a 2004 model, however it will be slim pickings at that point.

Last edited by lexguynj; 11-06-04 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-07-04, 07:08 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Default reply

NJLexusGuy - You might want to do a little more research on KDSS before you decide that you want that option. I too thought I wanted KDSS (likened it to the X5 suspension initially) but later learned that there may very well be some SIGNIFICANT bug-a-boos related to it. #1. There was an initial issue with using ANY towing package with the KDSS (They say it's resolved but won't give any specifics), #2. There is in open issue regarding the fact that some of the KDSS-equiped trucks appear to "lean" a significant amount for no specific reason (Leads many of us to determine that the reason dealers aren't getting, r recommending KDSS, may well be due to not wanting to sell a customer a vehicle they KNOW they may have to repair after selling it to them. #3. The KDSS units are available around here (east coast).

I think the towing issue "may" have gone away but nobody at Lexus can really tell me EXACTLY "why" it went away so I don't know if that was an issue with earlier trucks and now the newer ones coming in have no issue.

The "tilting" issue with KDSS may also be limited to only a few units but it's the same with this. So far, i don't think any of the "leaning" trucks have any resolution. Becarefull when reading the threads as it appears that at least one of the pictures of a "supposed" leaning truck is NOT correct (The owner even acknowledges in the thread that the truck which has one wheel up on a snowbank but it seems that other posters in that thread apparently can't read because they keep referring to it further in the text incorrectly). But there are others who are still experiencing from 1/2 an inch to 2 inches of elevation differences between their left and right sides of the truck when sitting on a flat surface (Not good IMHO).

The Sport package is an interesting thought and one that I would like to see (Sounds like the interior surfaces will be VERY similar to my old AMG Benz). I also REALLY like performance vehicles but C'mon, this is a TRUCK, not a performance vehicle.

Cost - I think you may not realize that a Sport-equiped 05 may cost you more than you think. KDSS-equipment 04's (The $53,195 MSRP can be had today for $46,800 + tag, taxes, etc). These INCLUDE the rear seat std TODAY but won't in the future (Carries the MSRP and Invoice up another $1,500 or so). The new truck is suppose to also increase in price about $1,500 (due no doubt to it's popularity). The price for the Sport option is thought to be $1921 (only $210 more than for non-sport KDSS?) and KDSS is INCLUDED at that price (i.e. you are Forced to buy the KDSS option in order to get the sport package). Discounts on the 05's won't be ANYTHING like they are with the 04's (more likely $1K off MSRP whereas the 04 in my initial example is ~$6,500 off MSRP). Taking these details into account, the expected price you will be able to buy a KDSS-equiped Sport 05 (with everything) will likely be $55,405 (That's the MSRP of $56,405 less $1,000) vs. today's truck @ $46,800. That's a street price difference of nearly $10K for the comparibly equiped 05 with sport.

In the end and due to the "tilt" issues with KDSS I decided I did not want KDSS on my truck. This also ended up eliminating the furture sport model (as it REQUIRES KDSS). Like many of us on this board, money is not an issue but a $10K difference IS an issue for nearly the same vehicle. That's why I am picking up a non-KDSS the week of the 15th. Hope this post helps!

Last edited by bunka; 11-07-04 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-07-04, 12:29 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My uneducated guess is that the tilting is related to a RAHC problem. Every once in a great while after turning the engine off, the RAHC makes air noise like it's going to a high or low setting but the back end of the truck isn't moving. The switch is always set at OFF. I just checked the front and rear again for tilt and it's absolutely level, well, at least to within a sixteenth of an inch.
Old 11-07-04, 02:37 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Bunka,

That's why we took delivery of our GX this past week instead of waiting. I can't believe how lively the current 235hp engine is, especially compared to the 230hp 5.4L engine in our '97 Expedition it's replacing. I can't tell you how many people have asked me why I got an '04 when the '05's are just around the corner. I tell them, "Cough up 9 grand for me and I'll be happy to get an '05.

Best of luck with it when it comes in. You'll love it. I can't get enough of driving it (wife's working all weekend and made her take my RX). Kid's are getting hungry....jeez I think I'll have to run out in the GX and pick them something up.
Old 11-07-04, 04:27 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Laughing at your comment about having to go out and get something for the kids. Very good!
Old 11-07-04, 04:27 PM
Camden
Driver School Candidate

Tough choice, but you should have 100% peace of mind when spending $50,000 on a vehicle. If that means waiting until the 05's debut then do that.
Old 11-07-04, 06:22 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

The 2005 changes are right around the corner (updated link below)! You either wait now or get your best deal now on a leftover 2004 at this time. To each his own and either way you can't lose by getting this great SUV.

I am a believer of the new tweaked enging with more HP, but I really want to see what this Sports Package is all about!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=4
Old 11-07-04, 08:07 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Default Although I made a choice I would...

Love to hear more on the sport package as well. Sounds like it will be nice. let us know if you order one and when it might get here. And of course, the pics! Good luck!
Old 11-08-04, 12:51 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Although I made a choice I would...

Originally posted by bunka
Love to hear more on the sport package as well. Sounds like it will be nice. let us know if you order one and when it might get here. And of course, the pics! Good luck!
Hey bunka, as much as I am a proponent to wait for the 2005 (as I have titled this thread), I also do have to agree that it would seem smarter to get a great deal now on a remaining 2004 for cost saving purposes. The physical look overall remains the same and who knows maybe I won't like the sports package enhancements (unlikely) or it may not be worth the extra money.

Even if money is not an issue to some, it should be always be, since there are more priorities in life than wanting the latest a greatest in a car.

That said congrats on your new 2004 purchase that I see in your signature and post photos when ready. Your new baby (GX) is on it's way and that is very exciting!
Old 11-08-04, 03:41 PM
Gromulus
Driver School Candidate

Default Why GX470

Hey lexguynj,

We were talking about 4Runners vs. GX models as well as the 3-series BMW on another thread. I wanted to ask you: why are you looking at the GX? Are you going to trade in your RX (and if so, why?) or is this an additonal vehicle. BTW, have you driven a V8 4Runner Limited (w/X-REAS)? Just curious.
Old 11-08-04, 05:33 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Why GX470

Originally posted by Gromulus
Hey lexguynj,

We were talking about 4Runners vs. GX models as well as the 3-series BMW on another thread. I wanted to ask you: why are you looking at the GX? Are you going to trade in your RX (and if so, why?) or is this an additonal vehicle. BTW, have you driven a V8 4Runner Limited (w/X-REAS)? Just curious.
The GX is a replacement vehicle for my wife and 10 month year old daughter. We will trade in our 2004 RX330 for the GX simply because my wife wants more room and I want more power and a more manly / rugged vehicle to drive around in on the weekends.

I did test drive the Fully Loaded 4Runner as indicated in the following link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=139766

My BMW 330's lease is not up into Next October, but maybe my dealer will be nice to me and let me get out of it sooner so I can upgrade to a 5 series.
Old 11-08-04, 08:17 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the leaning issue was fixed
Old 11-09-04, 09:26 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Kash
the leaning issue was fixed
How? Info please.
Old 11-11-04, 02:57 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

This wait for the 2005 info stinks! I just need to know a couple more things to make this decision for a 2004 vs. 2005! Someone must have some spy shots or something? Lexus is very good at keeping secrets and not letting anything leak!
Old 11-11-04, 03:13 PM
thurstonh3
Driver School Candidate

here is written confirmation of what we aleady knew
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2005 gx 470 info.pdf (48.3 KB, 323 views)

Quick Reply: 2005 GX470 - Why I am waiting.