GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Why buy a GX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-04, 12:05 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Why buy a GX?

What made you pick the GX over all the other choices? If you own one, are you happy with your choice? Forums tend to focus on the negative, I've seen lots of reasons why NOT to buy one. If you are happy with your choice, now is your chance to say so! Why buy a GX?

Last edited by bareyb; 10-31-04 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-31-04, 01:47 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why buy a GX?

Originally posted by bareyb
What made you pick the GX over all the other choices? If you own one, are you happy with your choice? Forums tend to focus on the negative, I've seen lots of reasons why NOT to buy one. If you are happy with your choice, now is your chance to say so! Why buy a GX?
I do not agree with your generalization about forums tending to focus on the negative. Your question sounds like you are in the market for an SUV and are considering the GX. I think that the GX470 is without peer in its class and price range. With almost 800 miles on the odometer I am VERY pleased with my `04 GX470. This is my 5th Lexus automobile. I liked the look of the GX when it first came out, and it actually was this forum that convinced me to go with the GX as opposed to some other SUV. There are a lot of things I like about the GX. Things I am particularly pleased with are the all-wheel drive, the powerful V-8, the smoothness and sure-footedness of the ride, the back-up camera, and the fact that at almost $15K less than my `04 SC430, the GX has more features and more luxury than my coupe. The only (mild) complaint I have about the GX is that it burns a lot of fuel.
Old 10-31-04, 03:19 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Re: Why buy a GX?

Originally posted by LeslieRC
I do not agree with your generalization about forums tending to focus on the negative. Your question sounds like you are in the market for an SUV and are considering the GX. I think that the GX470 is without peer in its class and price range. With almost 800 miles on the odometer I am VERY pleased with my `04 GX470. This is my 5th Lexus automobile. I liked the look of the GX when it first came out, and it actually was this forum that convinced me to go with the GX as opposed to some other SUV. There are a lot of things I like about the GX. Things I am particularly pleased with are the all-wheel drive, the powerful V-8, the smoothness and sure-footedness of the ride, the back-up camera, and the fact that at almost $15K less than my `04 SC430, the GX has more features and more luxury than my coupe. The only (mild) complaint I have about the GX is that it burns a lot of fuel.
Double that. let me tell you I just pick up my GX 2 days ago and the GX is amazing ( I miss my GS400) I should have bought this truck 2 years ago when we were looking for a truck and my wife wanted that pi.... of s.......... of MB ML320 no power on the t.... truck and everything brake's on it never again.

Last edited by angelslex; 10-31-04 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-31-04, 03:57 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Extremely luxurious
Excellent handling (best compromise between X5 sporty and big boaty feel)
Perfect size for me (plenty of cargo room, but not gigantic like a Suburban)
Quiet
Strong, smooth engine
Great NAV system (if you don't agree, try an X5)
Striking styling (purely subjective, but I think they're the best looking SUV on the road)
Excellent off-road/winter performance
Lexus reliability
Old 10-31-04, 06:22 PM
steevr
Pole Position

My father-in-law bought his GX over the summer and we've borrowed it for a few road trip vacations. I already have an '02 RX and convinced him to get the the GX over an Escalade. Best choice he could have ever made. We are now selling my wife's '97 Expedition and getting her a great deal on an '04 GX of her own. It arrived at the dealership on Friday (Silver Pine, Dk. Gray Interior, M/L-Nav, RES, 3rd seat, Factory tow hitch, factory spoiler). I installed the Xenon Depot 6000K HID kit on his and will be ordering a kit for ours. We can't wait.
Old 10-31-04, 07:17 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The GX is a great truck and really fun to drive. I don't miss my GS400 at all. Gas mileage, well, there weren't any surprises there and an occasional 17 MPG feels good, considering the truck hasn't been on any trips yet. There are some things I would like to see on the GX but this one won't be my last either
Old 10-31-04, 09:15 PM
lsy
Driver School Candidate

Great LUV.
Smooth as silk.
Does great in the snow!!!
And is one darn good looking truck!
Old 10-31-04, 11:11 PM
bscottj
Rookie

I own a GX470 because of the following reasons:
1) Lexus Quality. I've owned 2 other Lexus cars (and countless other brands). I am convinced that Lexus quality is the best.
2) Lexus Service. Lexus Service is golden, the best, period.
3) Safety. The GX470 comes with an abundance of safety equipment.
4) Very Quiet. I love quiet cars, and this is a good one. My GS400 and RX300 were not this quiet.
5) Style. The styling of the interior and exterior is beautiful. The GX470 has the nicest interior of any vehicle in this price range, and better than some higher-priced vehicles. The exterior styling of the GX470 is bold and elegant - I love it!
6) Mid-size SUV - Not too big (Escalade, Sequoia, QX54), not too small (RX330, X5, ML500), just right!
7) High Seating Position - I really love the high seating position and visibility. This is made possible because the vehicle is very tall, which gives the GX470 a bold presence in traffic, without being too long or wide. The size is just right.
8) All wheel Drive
9) Third Row. X5 and ML do not offer a third row. Normally I keep my 2 baby seats in the second row, but on occasion, I've moved one of my two baby seats from the second row to the third row to make room in the second row for a full size adult.
10) Power - The V8 in the GX470 is very nice. (XC90 with third row does not have V8, and has cheap plastic bumpers and trim, yuck. XC90 interior is nice though)
11) Gadgets: Voice-Activated Navigation System, Mark Levinson Audio, DVD player for 2nd and 3rd row, tunable suspension (with a dial), outside mirrors tilt-down in reverse, backup camera is nice.
12) The overall package - it's amazing that all of this is available together in one vehicle. I love it!!!

Things I wish it had: Factory Xenon Headlights, Independent Rear Suspension, and Hybrid Drivetrain. That's it. The GX470 is perfect otherwise, and no other vehicle offers items 1-12 better than the GX470 for this price and class. The GX470 is my dream car, and I love owning my Blue GX470!!

Last edited by bscottj; 10-31-04 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-02-04, 09:16 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Default ULTRA Luxury

short and sweet.... This LUV is ridiculously awesome!!... Looks, ride, quality, everything.... There are a couple of small issues as with most new vehicle lines, but I'm sure within a few years it will be as close to perfect as your gonna get... Not TOO big... not too small. And if your into gadgetry.. this thing is like a 007-mobile with 4 seasons suite accomodations.. Would DEFINATELY recommend it. Escalade, Navi, yada yada yada.... no comparison.
Old 11-02-04, 11:34 AM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Re: Why buy a GX?

Originally posted by LeslieRC
I do not agree with your generalization about forums tending to focus on the negative. Your question sounds like you are in the market for an SUV and are considering the GX. I think that the GX470 is without peer in its class and price range.
I'm not in the market anymore! I bought an '04 GX in Dorado Gold (easiest color to keep clean) and the more I drive it the more I fall in love with it. There's a couple changes I'd make if I could, but overall it's the best SUV out there...

My perfect dream vehicle? Not quite...

If I had my dreams come true, Lexus would make a similar sized vehicle with unibody (independent rear suspension) and fold flat seats. A power lift tail gate would complete the picture. Then it would be perfect for my needs. Still, the idea of a fully capable 4x4 does have it's own appeal...

Things I love about the GX

1. The interior styling and ergonomics:

Compared to the mishmash of buttons and ***** in the XC90 and the cheap leather and plastic of the Acura MDX the GX truly shines. I conisder the smaller SUV's to be mostly "Soccer Mom Cars". This includes the RX300 I've been driving for about 4 years. I wanted something that a Man would feel okay driving. The only two that fit that bill for me were the Toyota Land Cruiser or the GX. We needed the 3rd row seat. Case closed...I heard a song on the radio where the guys are making fun of the BMW and Mercedes SUV's saying they "don't drive those baby cars, they buy em for their babies' Mamas!" Something along those lines...

2. Handling and Driveability:

Love the way this thing tracks. It has amazing road feel. The dual geared steering is just plain the best of any luxury SUV out there. It just goes where you point it. I drive with two fingers resting on my knee. Gotta love the memory seats and telescoping steering wheel! I love how the steering wheel pops up when you shut off the motor. That's gotten alot of comments from my passengers. I also love how you only have to turn the key to the right once and then can let it go and the car starts up by itself! I love this! I can have my seat belt buckled and my NAV screen nag message cleared almost before the engine finishes roaring to life. So very cool... So very Lexus!

3. Exterior Styling

No way this gets confused for a Soccer Mom car. Especially not with it's awesome off road ability. I especially like the front end. Very aggressive and that Giant "L" just really makes it look classy. While I wasn't crazy at first about the side opening tail gate, it does set this baby apart from the crowd. I get way more looks from drivers than I do in my Sisters LX. After talking to folks who have owned one for awhile, it seems the side opening tail gate hasn't turned out to be much of an issue for most folks. I personally kind of like it now, and my Wife likes it better than the lift up type. In a nutshell this SUV has CLASS. It's not a little toy like alot of them are. I feel very confident taking this anywhere. Men and Women look equally good in this vehicle. Nobody is going to ask me if I'm "driving my Wife's car" (like they did in the RX) anymore!

4. Lexus service and realiability

Once you go Lexus, it's hard to go back... Their marketing strategy worked on me. Makes it very difficult to buy another brand when you have been treated so well by Lexus. In the end, it's a very big reason I bought another one. I had a number of American Cars and got tired of getting the constant run around and incompetence. Lexus has a way of inspiring loyalty in their customers. Smart company...

Last edited by bareyb; 11-02-04 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-02-04, 07:41 PM
rdollie
Rookie

No, actually the Volvo XC90 now has a V8 (and apparently a very nice one at that.) They also just debuted a 650 hp V8 XC90 variant at SEMA of all places. Volvo is calling it a PUV - Power Utility Vehicle. Doesn't make any sense if you ask me but then again it is less of an oxymoron than Sport Utility Vehicle I suppose.

[i]10) Power - The V8 in the GX470 is very nice. (XC90 with third row does not have V8, and has cheap plastic bumpers and trim, yuck. XC90 interior is nice though)
Old 11-03-04, 04:09 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

It's a Yamaha engine stuffed sideways into the XC90 front end, of course their marketing material says it's a very nice one. I'll stick with the Toyota/Lexus V8.
Old 11-03-04, 05:41 AM
rdollie
Rookie

No, no, no. It's a lot more than just marketing material. They had the V8 out last weekend at the Ride and Drive side of the California International Auto Show with pro drivers taking it out on an autocross course. The engine is VERY impressive with a high end deep throaty roar that you just don't expect from Volvo. Combined with the new 'Instant Traction' AWD setup the XC90 performed VERY with respect to handling.

The Toyota/Lexus V8 is a very nice and proven unit in and of itself.

Given that the XC90 already had the highest residual values of all SUVs (and tied with some sports car for overall residual value) before the V8 it should be interesting to see how a V8 benefits Volvo in the long run. I figure as long as the engine doesn't blow up it's going to do very well for Volvo.

Originally posted by jacksonian
It's a Yamaha engine stuffed sideways into the XC90 front end, of course their marketing material says it's a very nice one. I'll stick with the Toyota/Lexus V8.
Old 11-03-04, 06:40 AM
jeremysm
Driver School Candidate

In my opinion the Volvo XC90 is a nice looking vehicle and many of my friends own it. However, having asked almost all of them about their vehicle they all say the same thing: 10-12mpg and relatively slow.

A new engine in the Volvo lineup is exciting and the research that I have read says that the new engine will get much better gas mileage and be much more powerful. My primary concern would then focus on the price tag.

The T8 or whatever they will call it will certainly be over $50,000, probably closer to $60,000---I just cannot see spending over $45,000 on that vehicle as it stands now or even with a bigger engine. I guess the question is would you rather spend, lets say, $55,000 on a T8 Volvo loaded or get an '05 GX for $52k with everything?

Just my opinion and my .02 cents.
Old 11-03-04, 08:01 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Thumbs up

That's why I love this forum !!

Quick Reply: Why buy a GX?