GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Why buy a GX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-05, 12:12 AM
bliksem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, since offroad capability doesn't matter to you I will not go into specs of the GX and XC apart from saying the GX can do it if needs be the XC just can't. Look underneath both and you will see what I mean.

The funny part is that the XC was significantly smaller inside than the GX when I test drove both. The only advantage the XC had was the 3rd row seat, which rarely gets used in mid size SUVs anyway.

AS to reliability, go read up on the XC. It is listed as 120% BELOW average on reliability vs. the GX as 15% ABOVE average by COsumer reports for MIdsize SUVs. The RX is listed as 25% abive average. Find the lexus listed below average on any reliability survey, I can show you plenty of Volvos. We used to have a XC70 (2000), which was pretty good, but since those times Volvo has taken a turn for the worse. Go read the reports on the XC on edmunds by actual owners, electrical, brakes, transmissions, etc. On the GX the driveline has a thump, big deal, it doesn't leave you starnded or going back to the dealer all the time.

As to sales figures, remember the XC is offered in different trim levels. The GX is only top of the line, with the lower end price wise cannibilized by the RX and the 4Runner Ltd. Even with that there was 2847 GXs sold in July, while the whole XC line sold 3619 in June. Not bad considering Lexus sold 9065 RXs in July. There are about 10000 4RUnners also sold every month.

I looked at the XC for quite some time before I bought the GX, and to be honest in the end it didn't make the cut for me (or my girlfriend for that matter) by a long shot. The GX simply outclassed it. Dont stare blindy at spec sheets, drive them and read up about reliability of these models. The problems GX owners list are trivial compared to what the XC owners are experiencing.

If you like the XC more, go for it. But go into it with your eyes open. The fact of the matter is that the benchmark to which Lexus owners look at their vehicles are way higher than the one Volvo owners look at their vechiles today. Volvo used to have one of the most solid reputations in the business, but sadly that has disappeared in the last 4-5 years. Sort of the way MB went.
Old 08-14-05, 08:23 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rdollie
as the GX - I contend the XC90 V8 and the GX470 are indeed competitors. The XC has the advantage of having a wide price range (the base 5-cylinder turbo is relatively affordable) that allows it to compete price-wise with the RX as well.
[/QUOTE]

If you want to widen the GX price range just add the V8 Toyota 4runner, its the same vehicle, with different sheet metal. Now you can get a V8 AWD 4runner for $29K. You can get a Sport Edition V8 that lists for $35K for $31K and add after market leather for $1500 and you now have a vehicle for $32,500 that can stand-up to both vehicles, has all of the latest features any driver would need and will out run both the XC and GX and provide all of the Toyota quality for what $20K less then both the GX and the V8 XC. Plus its better looking I guess I just don't get why people think they need to spend an extra $20K for what???

PS- the residual on the 4runner is one of the best, but the best part is that if you had that extra $20K invested for 36 months instead of depreciating it would make more sense.
Old 08-14-05, 04:06 PM
GXPrado
Driver

rdollie,
after posting 3-4 in a row and quoting bliksem, the key theme of his post you failed to grasp is this;

I think people get obsessed with specs, but you dont drive and own specs.
If, for whatever logic you are working from, you feel one vehicle is better than the GX; then buy it.
There is more than enough research on the internet to do this without continuing with this thread since the questions and topics you are referencing are all very general and personal choice-based.
Old 08-14-05, 04:18 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugh.. This is another off-topic, Lexus vs. the World thread!

Funny though, IMO, Lexus can take the world w/o breaking a sweat!

But that is just my super-biased opinion.

Lexus Owns!
Old 08-14-05, 09:20 PM
rdollie
Rookie

Well and fine but I think the key thing you failed to grasp in my post is that I actually own one of these vehicles and am speaking as an owner.

Originally Posted by GXPrado
rdollie,
after posting 3-4 in a row and quoting bliksem, the key theme of his post you failed to grasp is this;

If, for whatever logic you are working from, you feel one vehicle is better than the GX; then buy it.
There is more than enough research on the internet to do this without continuing with this thread since the questions and topics you are referencing are all very general and personal choice-based.
Old 08-14-05, 10:28 PM
bliksem
Driver School Candidate

Well and fine but I think the key thing you failed to grasp in my post is that I actually own one of these vehicles and am speaking as an owner.
Well then enjoy your ride. You dont need to come justify your decision here. I made my choice and is enjoying it everytime I drive it.

My GF is actually enjoying it more, the strange thing is her friend up in Seattle got the XC with which she is extremely unhappy with. Even more so after riding in the GX.

I always find it interesting that people defend whatever they bought tooth and nail for some reason. We had a Land Rover Freelander (she thought is was cute and wanted one) and i t will take a miricale before another LR rproduct gets into our garage. LR service sucks, and everytime we were at the dealer there were people coming in with pages of rpoblems to be fixed on brand new RR, DIscoverys, etc. All I can say is stay away, far away. The dealers are also a bunch of sharks and try to screw you at every turn. LR = BIG mistake in my book. Never again.
Old 08-15-05, 03:33 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

I own 2 GX's, and I've NEVER gone to a Volvo forum to tell those folks how much better my GX is.
Old 08-15-05, 10:24 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe people will greet me at Ruth’s Chris and tell me that Outback’s steak is better
Old 08-16-05, 10:02 AM
rdollie
Rookie

That's your choice. I'm an auto enthusiast who drives and owns whatever vehicle tickles my fancy (hence the reason I'm on so many different boards.) I'm not the person who brought up Volvo in this thread so don't try to claim I came here to promote Volvo. I gave my opinion in light of my experience since SOMEONE ELSE mentioned Volvo.

Originally Posted by jacksonian
I own 2 GX's, and I've NEVER gone to a Volvo forum to tell those folks how much better my GX is.
Old 08-16-05, 10:03 AM
rdollie
Rookie

I prefer Ruths Chris to Mortons for example but if you don't think there are better steak houses out there you are simply deluding yourself (and none of the better ones are chain restaurants.)

Originally Posted by super_cjc
Maybe people will greet me at Ruth’s Chris and tell me that Outback’s steak is better
Old 08-16-05, 12:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

well, to each to its own... However, XC90 started by undercutting RX by few grand, and now, few months into the V8 option, it is somehow an V8 GX competitor with more affordable options :-).

I dont know what we are arguing anymore, but once again, no matter what you do with your car, GX is not same class as XC... RX=XC90. Fact that you might not drive an Porsche 911 120mph daily, does not make it an 350z competitor....
Old 08-16-05, 01:39 PM
Flufferiou
Lead Lap

Hmm, actually Peter Luger's is better than RC in my book.

And how can anyone compare a XC to a GX?
Compare the XC to the RX, the GX is a totally different beast!
Old 08-16-05, 02:47 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

That's your choice. I'm an auto enthusiast who drives and owns whatever vehicle tickles my fancy (hence the reason I'm on so many different boards.) I'm not the person who brought up Volvo in this thread so don't try to claim I came here to promote Volvo. I gave my opinion in light of my experience since SOMEONE ELSE mentioned Volvo.
You do seem to be the resident XC expert. I never considered a Volvo XC, but after reading about them they look like great vehicles. Personally I would consider a XC (V8) if I was looking at a RX. Not if I wanted a truck (frame based0 SUV. I've always thought of Volvos as box's that were safe and had the latest safety features. Thanks for the info on them, kind of opened my eyes. By the way does GM now own Volvo?
Old 08-16-05, 04:14 PM
lexusdr
Rookie

Actually Ford owns Volvo now. It's no wonder Volvo's reliability has sunk the way Jaguars did. Same thing with Benz when Chrysler took helm.

My Webpage
Old 08-16-05, 04:24 PM
rdollie
Rookie

Sorry but that's just incorrect. Volvo's reliability issues have nothing to do with Ford and started before Ford took over.

Volvo's reliability varies by model and generally starts off less-than-average for a new model which moves to average only after a couple of years and then above average in the last few years of model life.

Further, Jag's reliability was truly in the crapper compared to Volvo's and it took a dramatic turn for the better under the first several years of Ford's ownership (Ford became very hands-on with Jag given their issues and finances but has been mostly hands-off with Volvo because Volvo has been profitable for many years - the only exception is some floorpan sharing in the new entry level Volvos and these are much better cars than the Volvo/Mitsu model it replaces.)

Originally Posted by lexusdr
Actually Ford owns Volvo now. It's no wonder Volvo's reliability has sunk the way Jaguars did. Same thing with Benz when Chrysler took helm.

My Webpage

Quick Reply: Why buy a GX?