GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Trading in your GX for an 05?
Yes! From a 2003
11.32%
Yes! From a 2004
15.09%
No. My 2003 is Fine
24.53%
No. My 2004 is Fine
49.06%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Who's trading their GX for an 05?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-04, 04:39 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OK, so here's the scoop and changes

Vote if you haven't yet.

Lots of threads and posts have been all over the place with people talking about whether they will or won't upgrade to an 05. Let's look at the factual differences.
[list=1][*]VVTI - Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence[*]Compression Ration changed to 10.0:1[*]HP Increased 15% to 270hp @ 5400 RPM from 235hp @ 4800rpm.[*]Torque Increased to 330lbs @ 3400rpm from 320lbs @ same rpm.[*]Redline increased to 5700 rpm[*]Octane required increased to 91 from 89[*]Emissions ration increased to ULEV-II from LEV[*]0-60 acceleration reduced to 8.1 seconds from 8.5 seconds[*]1/4 Mile Acceleration reduced to 16.3 seconds[*]Optional Sport Package Available: KDSS, Blackeye Maple, Interior and Exterior changes with Dark Graphite and Smoke Gray accents, Chrome Exhaust Tip.[*]DVD Navigation System now includes over 5 million points of interest, graphics upgrades including building footprint display, and integrated bluetooth phone capabilities.[*]Automatic smog sensing auto-recirculation system[*]Voice Activated control improved to control Bluetooth phone and climate control[*]Automatic weight sensing and pressure classification passenger airbag[/list=1]

Last edited by looknow12; 11-22-04 at 04:42 AM.
Old 11-22-04, 01:45 PM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm with the majority on this one...

keeping my 2004...

I've not had any problems mechanically, acoustically or cosmetically. I've debadged, tinted, beefed up the exhaust pipe, added the spoiler & am getting the HID's next week. I don't need Bluetooth or the new dark birdseye maple trim, and actually do have the upgraded Lexus wheels.

It also helps that my 24 month financing was @ 1.9% through Capital One, and will be paid off in 17 months.

Nope, I'm happy with my 04, and think this'll be my primary ride for a number of years to come!

Hope all of the 05 owners become as attached to the new beasts as I am to my 04!
Old 11-22-04, 03:11 PM
Camden
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by bareyb
I'm going back and forth on what year model to buy myself. The one time I waited until the new year model to get "the new stuff" I was sorely dissappointed. I ended up paying about 7 grand more for something that I couldn't even feel and in the end never much thought about..

I'm thinking all the hype over 35 HP really is just that. I'd bet in a blind driving test nobody would be able to actually feel any difference at all.

Now if you really have to have bluetooth and are willing to pay thousands of dollars for it then I'd say go for it. The new 4th generation Nav (minus bluetooth) is already installed in the late model 04's. Adding voice commands doesn't mean much either since most folks don't use them much anyway. It's easier to just push the button than to yell at your dashboard. I'm betting you would be be feeling pretty dumb in a very short time if you actually did take a huge loss turning in a perfectly good 04 just to "upgrade" to the 05. I'd at least wait and seriously roadtest both vehicles before you do anything... There's alot of cool stuff that could be bought with the 5 to 10 grand it would cost you to update. Stuff that would bring you real joy and not just perceived joy. If the body style or the model number were changing I could see somebody doing it maybe... but not for 35 HP. That just really ain't that much... A new Air Filter and Chip will get you 15 on most cars...
I certainly wouldn't trade in to get those extras but if someone wanted to buy 'fresh' and wanted those things, I could understand. We got one of the last 04's at $44,600 in the Pearl/Ivory color my wife wanted and rear entertainment so I couldn't say no.

You know maybe if I were getting it for myself, I'd get the '05 for the HP.
Old 11-23-04, 06:48 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

As much as I tout the 2005 GX470 and the additional HP and new NAV software, it would still seem silly to trade in your 04 (maybe even an 03) for an 05.

Although I still want a 05 (trading up from an RX330 - different situation), the 04 test drive I took still made me feel the engine was peppy and the handling was fine.

This is not a major revamp of the GX too, so your 03 / 04 GX exterior wise will look the same as 05 GX, which is a good thing, since they will still look all the same. It would be a diferrent case if the exterior was changed even slightly.

We can never catch up to the latest and greatest always, since things always change and who knows what is store for the 2006 model (although probably no significant changes).
Old 11-23-04, 08:30 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

The bluetooth alone is important for me. In New York you cannot use a handheld cell phone. It's illegal. I heard this will be extended to Connecticut and who knows what other states in the near future.

Integrated Bluetooth gives hands free use of any existing bluetooth phone.
Old 11-23-04, 11:57 AM
Camden
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by looknow12
The bluetooth alone is important for me. In New York you cannot use a handheld cell phone. It's illegal. I heard this will be extended to Connecticut and who knows what other states in the near future.

Integrated Bluetooth gives hands free use of any existing bluetooth phone.
NY now too?! Dayum. NJ I believe has the same regulation. I've been using a hands free set for the past 6 months and will have to remember it for trips into NYC.
Old 11-23-04, 02:48 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Camden
NY now too?! Dayum. NJ I believe has the same regulation. I've been using a hands free set for the past 6 months and will have to remember it for trips into NYC.
Camden, you are also correct about NJ, we can't use our cell phones in the car without a headset. So this blue tooth option is a great option if you have a blue tooth compatible phone or plan to get one. It would be so easy to just dial up from the Navigation screen (maybe voice commands?) Or how about picking up a call with your steering wheel button! I need this technology!
Old 11-27-04, 08:32 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: I'm with the majority on this one...

Originally posted by Solomoan
keeping my 2004...

I've not had any problems mechanically, acoustically or cosmetically. I've debadged, tinted, beefed up the exhaust pipe, added the spoiler & am getting the HID's next week. I don't need Bluetooth or the new dark birdseye maple trim, and actually do have the upgraded Lexus wheels.

It also helps that my 24 month financing was @ 1.9% through Capital One, and will be paid off in 17 months.

Nope, I'm happy with my 04, and think this'll be my primary ride for a number of years to come!

Hope all of the 05 owners become as attached to the new beasts as I am to my 04!
Hey Solomoan,

When you have a chance, can you post a more clear photo of your Black GX in the gallery or here. I'd like to see those upgraded Lexus Rim Options better on your vehicle. They look great in the kind of blurry photo you posted of your entire GX. Thanks again!
Old 11-29-04, 05:00 AM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Default 3rd pic in my postings in the GX470 gallery

I took a closeup of the tire/rim in the 3rd pic that's posted. You saw the first pic...just move right 2 pics. It's actually pretty clear. Let me know if that one helps.
Old 11-29-04, 08:39 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: 3rd pic in my postings in the GX470 gallery

I took a closeup of the tire/rim in the 3rd pic that's posted. You saw the first pic...just move right 2 pics. It's actually pretty clear. Let me know if that one helps.
Yes I saw that one too, which pretty much confirms the same rim offerred on the Lexus website. I was wondering if you had any more photos of your entire truck (in addition to the one you posted in the gallery, so I can get an overall look of your rims on your truck.

Thanks again!
Old 11-29-04, 08:47 AM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Default Ah...

I'll do that later this week when we get better weather (I'll take em in the driveway with natural light), and have it cleaned up. We've got snow/rain/ice right now.
Old 12-02-04, 01:51 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Ah...

I'll do that later this week when we get better weather (I'll take em in the driveway with natural light), and have it cleaned up. We've got snow/rain/ice right now.
Solomoan,

Thanks agian for doing this and I think you maybe the only GX470 owner with those cool optional Lexus rims. Great choice!
Old 12-12-04, 06:07 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

I've yet to see the sport option available in the Build your GX.
Old 01-11-05, 02:09 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GX470 Sports Option

Originally Posted by looknow12

I've yet to see the sports option available in the Build your GX.
Looknow.....

Check this out.....

http://lexus.com/models/gx/price_options.html

~ Cap