GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Vibration / Drone Fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-04, 02:30 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Vibration / Drone Fix

Has anyone had the Vibration / Drone fix done to their vehicle to eliminate the steering wheel vibration at different RPM's? If so, can you tell me if it resolved the problem?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 05-07-04, 08:59 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out the past thread about the vibration issue. i think the title is "Vibration". It has all our comments and solutions for it.
Old 05-07-04, 09:06 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

JimsGx , does ur gx have a vibration problem??? mine definitely doesn't have the vibration cuz i already had mine in for the 'clunk", which i call thump, problem fixed and they found no other problem.
Old 05-08-04, 05:50 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Rx900
check out the past thread about the vibration issue. i think the title is "Vibration". It has all our comments and solutions for it.
I have looked at the past thread but it doesn't answer my question...

For those that have had the recently released vibration / drone fix installed, how successful was the fix? Here's the service bulletin details:

A STEERING VIBRATION & DRIVELINE VIBRATION/DRONE
CAUSE: INSTALL UPDATED PARTS FOR VIBRATION
ST3010 STEERING VIBRATION & DRIVELINE
VIBRATION/DRONE

1 41196-60010 DAMPER, DIFFERENTIAL
2 90080-10167 BOLT, WASHER BASED H
1 52380-60061 SUPPORT ASSY, DIFFER
1 51405-35101 COVER S/A, ENGINE UN
1 45219-60090 YOKE, STEERING SLIDI
1 45203-60120 SHAFT SUB-ASSY, STRG
FC: 44,99
PART#: 41196-60010
COUNT: 1
2727 DRONE NOISE, SERVICE BULLETIN ST3010

I had this installed a few weeks ago but it didn't fix the problem. I'm still getting vibration between 1200-1500 rpm and 1700-2000 rpm...

I think this fix, successful or not, doesn't address the root cause of the vibration, it only attempts to mask a symptom. Lexus has yet to address the root cause.

Jim
Old 05-10-04, 03:23 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

yup, looks like no luck, checked out the past posts bout vibration, check this out. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=Vibration
Old 05-10-04, 03:38 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default What build is your truck?

Mine is a 04 with the build 9700E I don't have that problem, I think only some of the 9700C trucks did.
Old 05-10-04, 04:17 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: What build is your truck?

Originally posted by Tony
Mine is a 04 with the build 9700E I don't have that problem, I think only some of the 9700C trucks did.
Mine is a 9700E with a build date of February 2004... The mechanic drove another one on the lot a week ago to compare it to mine and it had the same vibration.

What irks me is that in the repair order the resolution states that the "vehicle is operating as designed". This is the response when bringing it back after the service bulletin fixed was applied at the previous visit.

Jim
Old 05-10-04, 11:41 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My truck is a 9700E build with Michelin tires. There is no vibration whatsoever, at any speed. After hearing about the widespread vibration problem around 1800 RPM, I held my breath most of the way home from the dealership. I was pleasantly surprised at the extremely smooth ride. It's hard to imagine any kind of variation in the assembly of the truck since it only comes from one factory. The only obvious variation is the tire manufacturer.
Old 05-11-04, 07:46 AM
lexite
Driver

Search for item number 10006194 at NHTSA shows a Service Bulletin number 00404 for vibration. Still when I went for 10K service last weekend the service consultant said that lexus is still working on the vibration and cluncking issue, and was not aware of any fix yet. I am confused how other people are getting their's fixed.
Old 05-11-04, 12:45 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

There is a fix for the clunking problem. It's a redesigned rear drive shaft with spline changes.
Old 05-11-04, 02:57 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lexite
Search for item number 10006194 at NHTSA shows a Service Bulletin number 00404 for vibration. Still when I went for 10K service last weekend the service consultant said that lexus is still working on the vibration and cluncking issue, and was not aware of any fix yet. I am confused how other people are getting their's fixed.
This is the fix I had installed a couple weeks back that didn't fix the vibration problem...

Jim
Old 05-11-04, 09:08 PM
advphoto
Driver School Candidate

Hi Jim;

I found out about this problem the first time I drove the car at 70 mph. That was right before christmas when I got the very first 04' trucks that had the backup camera and KDSS system. I reported the problem to my dealer Lindsay of Alexandria, and was surprised to know that they were aware of it but did not have a fix.

I had the general manager involved in this and fnally a month or so ago I had a call from him informing me that they have a fix for the problem from Lexus. After they installed the exact same list of items on the above post, I experinced a lot less of that droning noise at 70 mph. It seems that it is almost gone, you can barely hear it at all. I would say that If I never knew about this issue I wouldn't have heard it at all after the modification parts were put in.

Anyway I don't think that the Mod realy fixed it 100%. Also it took a second effort by the shop foreman to get mine this good, because I took it back and he apparently made a few more adjustments the second time.

I don't know how to tell my trucks built? 9700? However I think that all GX trucks have this problem and a lot of people either don't do 70mph or just don't hear it. After all it is not that loud and if you have the radio on or the window open you don't hear it at all, even without the fix. At the end I should say that I am very disappointed that they didn't fix it 100%.

Can some one please tell me how you find out about your version built? Thanks Bob
Old 05-11-04, 09:19 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Look at your window sticker that has the standard and optional equipment listed. In the upper right corner, you will see............

GX470 5-DR SUV

2004 / 9700 E

BLACK

SERIAL NUMBER JTJBTxxxxxxxxx PORT LA

(So my truck is an E build, Black Onyx and Los Angeles was the port of entry)
Old 05-12-04, 09:15 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just want to say that it's amazing how much information and expertise this website has to offer. I learn new things from CL everyday.
Old 05-12-04, 02:08 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by advphoto
Hi Jim;

I found out about this problem the first time I drove the car at 70 mph. That was right before christmas when I got the very first 04' trucks that had the backup camera and KDSS system. I reported the problem to my dealer Lindsay of Alexandria, and was surprised to know that they were aware of it but did not have a fix.

I had the general manager involved in this and fnally a month or so ago I had a call from him informing me that they have a fix for the problem from Lexus. After they installed the exact same list of items on the above post, I experinced a lot less of that droning noise at 70 mph. It seems that it is almost gone, you can barely hear it at all. I would say that If I never knew about this issue I wouldn't have heard it at all after the modification parts were put in.

Anyway I don't think that the Mod realy fixed it 100%. Also it took a second effort by the shop foreman to get mine this good, because I took it back and he apparently made a few more adjustments the second time.

I don't know how to tell my trucks built? 9700? However I think that all GX trucks have this problem and a lot of people either don't do 70mph or just don't hear it. After all it is not that loud and if you have the radio on or the window open you don't hear it at all, even without the fix. At the end I should say that I am very disappointed that they didn't fix it 100%.

Can some one please tell me how you find out about your version built? Thanks Bob
Hi Advphoto,

I'm starting to wonder if my problem is unrelated to the drone since the symptom the vehicle is exhibiting is somwhat different than most of the posts I've seen here stating that the 1800rpm range is where they are hearing / feeling the vibration...

I can actually feel the vibration through the steering wheel simply buy putting the vehicle in drive, firmly holding my foot on the brake at a standstill, and raising the rpm's up into either the 1200 to 1500rpm range or into the 1700 to 2000 rpm range. I get a distinct vibration that can be felt through the steering wheel in both these rpm ranges.

When I'm moving I do get the same vibration within these rpm ranges as well... Can anyone replicate the steering wheel vibration at a standstill other than me? I may actually have a motor mount / transfer case mount or alignment problem...

I can also get the vehicle to vibrate in reverse or forward while turning from a stop (both left or right). Under these conditions, the whole vehicle seems to vibrate more so than the steering wheel.

Jim

Quick Reply: Vibration / Drone Fix