GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Help!! (leaning)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-04, 06:49 PM
kph3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help!!

I have a 04 "C" with the KDSS and @6000 miles. In my first posts, I expressed that I didn't have any of the problems that others were experiencing. THAT DIDN'T LAST LONG. In a post about two months ago, I wrote about a creaking sound coming from the left rear. They finally figured out it was the KDSS control cylinder that was bad. Two months later that is fixed, but now I am having the "rear end thump" issue and they have ordered a new driveshaft.......I was told it would be a while as Lexus had 257 on backorder.

The problem I need help with, is that the left rear of the vehicle is leaning. It was doing this 2 months ago when I took it in for the creaking, but they thought it was the bad cylinder (and so did I). When I picked it up last week I asked about it and they kept it for a couple days extra and then called me to pick it up saying that it was within tolerances. I argued my point, and the service manager told me that it was probably an "optical illusion" like I was a freaking lunatic.

I had it moved to a flat surface we both agreed on and I measured it myself. It was off 3/4" on the left and he had to agree with me. It doesn't sound like much, but it is very noticeable. He said he had never heard of this before, but would check into it. I don't have much faith due to past service problems at the dealership and after his "optical illusion" comment.

Has anyone else experienced this? What was the cause and the fix?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-21-04, 07:22 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I've seen that on vehicles usually cause the left side has more weight on itm is the left higher or lower cause usually the owners say the left is higher
Old 04-21-04, 07:44 PM
kph3
Driver School Candidate

The left rear is 3/4" lower than the right. There is no extra weight in the vehicle....it is empty.
Old 04-21-04, 10:28 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Since the truck was level before the squeaking started and now that the squeaking is gone, the only change has been the replacement of the control cylinder. I would ask the service manager to have the replacement cylinder checked for proper installation. The other possibility is the Rear Adjustable Height Control being bad on one side.
Old 04-22-04, 10:28 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 04 GX doesn’t have KDSS but I think it has the leaning problem just like you described. It’s hardly noticeable from the front but you can clearly see it from the back. I actually closely followed a GX about 10 miles just to observe that GX was leaning to the left on both local and highway.

looknow12, Does you GX have leaning problem too?
Attached Thumbnails Help!!  (leaning)-gx_modified.jpg  
Old 04-22-04, 11:39 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, you guys had me a little worried so I just went out to check my truck. There is no leaning at all in the front or back. In the rear, it's exactly 26" from the garage floor to the top of the bumper just where it meets the bottom of the protective strip

Ahhhh, I hope the picture of that GX is not really what it seems to be .
Old 04-22-04, 01:51 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

ohh wow you guys are serious... i thought it was jsut me when i thought my gx leaned to the left also..
i'll measure it tommrow
Old 04-22-04, 02:01 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by super_cjc
My 04 GX doesn’t have KDSS but I think it has the leaning problem just like you described. It’s hardly noticeable from the front but you can clearly see it from the back. I actually closely followed a GX about 10 miles just to observe that GX was leaning to the left on both local and highway.

looknow12, Does you GX have leaning problem too?
That's my GX picture (posted from Ash Blue and just in time for snow! My Review ) and I can assure you it is leaning because the right front tire is set on top of a snow bank.

That was my older GX. My new 04 has KDSS and about 2500 miles. I don't hear any creaking and don't see any lean but I'll keep an eye out for it. They probably did not reinstall the control cylinder correctly. There is perhaps a specific procedure for resetting the KDSS cyclinders when installing them. It might be as simple as bleeding, or adding the correct amount of hydraulic fluid into the KDSS system.

Thanks,
Old 04-22-04, 02:24 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Holy Sh-t

Man from that picture it has a serious lean. You have got to be kidding if the dealership service writer cannot see that I would knock him upside his head. I dont have KDSS and do not have that problem. My truck is a 9700E build.

Last edited by Tony; 04-22-04 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-22-04, 03:38 PM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

Default Hi, did you...

did you shift your suspension to the left? comfort mode? I will create the leaning problem.
I usually put it in sport mode.

Last edited by DavidsGX; 04-22-04 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-22-04, 06:30 PM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Default Re: Hi, did you...

Originally posted by DavidsGX
did you shift your suspension to the left? comfort mode? I will create the leaning problem.
I usually put it in sport mode.
That might explain why my GX doesnt have the leaning problem all the time.
I will keep the suspension at sport mode for a week and see if the leaning problem will go away.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-22-04, 06:39 PM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

Lightbulb Yeah... That's what I thought!

I usually use very firm(Sport mode) when I drive on local.
On Highway, I use comfort!! Try it!!
Old 04-23-04, 02:09 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

It's gangsta maybe a spring is shot, do you fancy fried foods and lard are you parked on snow cause for the dealer to say it normal is
Old 04-23-04, 04:53 AM
kph3
Driver School Candidate

The leaning in my GX doesn't matter what suspension setting its in or at what the rear height is set at. It measures the same 3/4" at whatever position it is set at.

Looknow12, the service manager said that they had to order special tools to put in this new cylinder and the repair paperwork they give you states that they "bled the system once at 5MPA pressure and a second time at 7MPA pressure per repair manual instructions". They also "bled suspension fluid using SST#09760-60010 and set suspension fluid pressure to proper specifications."

Could there be a broken spring?

what do you think?
Old 04-23-04, 07:46 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Originally posted by EDGE2
It's gangsta maybe a spring is shot, do you fancy fried foods and lard are you parked on snow cause for the dealer to say it normal is
I attached looknow12s old GXs picture just wanted to ask looknow12 if his old GX had leaning problem.
And I havent talked to the dealer about leaning.

Hope this clears your misunderstanding.

Last edited by super_cjc; 04-23-04 at 07:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Help!! (leaning)