GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Protecting your GX470's Paint and Front End

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-04, 03:22 PM
cyberflip9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protecting your GX470's Paint and Front End

I have a Black 2004 GX470 and it is really important for me to keep it looking shiny and new. Since I purchased the car outright and intend on keeping the car until it literally falls apart I have invested in a Xylon paint protectant treatment at the dealership. I had this done before to my black 1998 LS400 and it still looks like it arrived from the factory the day before. The cost for the GX470 was very expensive, around $900 dollars, but I said, "what the heck." The next thing I bought was a optically clear urethane headlamp and foglight protector ($75 dollars shipped) which installed with ease. I want to keep my new 6000K xenons from XenonDepot looking new and chip-free. I also want to invest in either a clear front end mask from 3M that is made of a very tough urethane. It is like an invisible shield that shows the beautiful paint underneath. But since I don't want to be spending another $1000 on the parts and labor, I will be installing the black front end mask from the dealership ($184). I considered getting the Sport Bumper Trim from the dealer ($500 for the part, $699 installed) but it will not fit with the front end mask. In the future I will be looking for a suitable rear bumper guard and clear urethane film for the door handle area so as to keep fingernails from scratching the beautiful paint.
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-04, 03:27 PM
cyberflip9
Driver School Candidate

Default Sport Bumper Trim

Here is the sport bumper trim available from your local dealership for $500, $699 installed .
cyberflip
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-04, 03:31 PM
brent0226
Driver

Here's my take on car bras.

I think it's ridiculous to use them. You put them on there to protect the paint. But who cares if it protects the paint if you'll never see what it protects anyway? There's no use in protecting it if you're never going to see it. It's like people who keep sheets over their couches to protect them.

A friend of mine has had a bra on her car for several years. She decided to take it off a couple months ago, but the thing left a stain. They even tried clay bars and such to clean it up, but it still didn't look right.

I think the only good use out of a car bra is buying one for vacations or long road trips. Use it for the week you'll be on the highway and then take it off when you get home. That's just my two cents.
Old 04-13-04, 03:31 PM
cyberflip9
Driver School Candidate

Default Invisiguard Headlamp Protector

Here is a pic showing where the InvisiGard headlight protectant goes ($75 shipped).

cyberflip
Attached Thumbnails Protecting your GX470's Paint and Front End-gx470_1.jpg  
Old 04-13-04, 03:38 PM
cyberflip9
Driver School Candidate

Well then, I guess I better invest in a clear front end mask if the old black front end mask will leave a mark.
Attached Thumbnails Protecting your GX470's Paint and Front End-03_gx41.jpg  
Old 04-13-04, 03:39 PM
cyberflip9
Driver School Candidate

Default Clear Front end mask application (bumper)

Here is the bumper kit for the clear front end mask.
Attached Thumbnails Protecting your GX470's Paint and Front End-03_gx42.jpg  
Old 04-13-04, 03:42 PM
cyberflip9
Driver School Candidate

Default Clear Front end mask application (mirrors, door edges, etc)

Here is a pic of the clear protectors for the mirros and door edges, etc. The three kits cost $500 plus installation which is usually equals the cost of the parts= $1000 total. This is the same stuff they use on F1 race cars and NASCARS to protect the paint.

cyberflip
Old 04-13-04, 03:43 PM
cyberflip9
Driver School Candidate

Pic of the mirror, door edge kit, etc
Attached Thumbnails Protecting your GX470's Paint and Front End-03_gx43.jpg  
Old 04-13-04, 03:52 PM
cyberflip9
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by brent0226
Here's my take on car bras.

I think it's ridiculous to use them. You put them on there to protect the paint. But who cares if it protects the paint if you'll never see what it protects anyway? There's no use in protecting it if you're never going to see it. It's like people who keep sheets over their couches to protect them.

A friend of mine has had a bra on her car for several years. She decided to take it off a couple months ago, but the thing left a stain. They even tried clay bars and such to clean it up, but it still didn't look right.

I think the only good use out of a car bra is buying one for vacations or long road trips. Use it for the week you'll be on the highway and then take it off when you get home. That's just my two cents.
-You're right about front end masks being the proverbial "plastic on the furnitiure" look for cars. I mean, I come from a Filipino/Mexican background and it is stereotypical for Filipinos and Mexicans to put plastic on everything. Heck, I still have the plastic on my Rear Seat Audio remote! Since my car is black and since I know how a front end mask should be maintained: with careful removal and washing of the front area at least once a month, then it shouldn't be too "ridiculous" to have a front end mask. Besides, the only other option is to install a clear urethane front end mask that will be too expensive and rely too much on the "human factor" of installation. I prefer accessories that don't require too much labor and possible mistakes. On your friend's part, she should have taken off the front end mask at least once a month and clean the area of residue, fall out, and dirt. In not doing so, she damaged her car. When it is installed, I will share pics of the black front end mask.

cyberflip9
Attached Thumbnails Protecting your GX470's Paint and Front End-dsc06494.jpg  
Old 04-13-04, 05:26 PM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

Well I'm thinking something will cost much less....

RESIN DOOR EDGE PROTECTOR & STAINLESS DOOR EDGE PROTECTOR

These I asked my dealer, they said it will be about $600 included installation.

But I found it DIY costs less than $200.

Check...... here also.... http://www.japanparts.com/shop/shop....ior+%2d+others
Attached Thumbnails Protecting your GX470's Paint and Front End-sill.jpg  
Old 04-13-04, 05:40 PM
cyberflip9
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by DavidsGX
Well I'm thinking something will cost much less....

RESIN DOOR EDGE PROTECTOR & STAINLESS DOOR EDGE PROTECTOR

These I asked my dealer, they said it will be about $600 included installation.

But I found it DIY costs less than $200.

Check...... here also.... http://www.japanparts.com/shop/shop....ior+%2d+others
What I was discussing was a total frontal protector that not only protects the door edges but the entire front-facing surfaces of the car and then some. The $200 door edge protector is too much especially for a DIY. The clear urethane protector that is easy to install costs about $12+ and is invisible and resists scratches and chips, but alas, doesn't protect the edge from dents.
Old 04-14-04, 06:27 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a clear bra installed on my 2004 GX 470 when it was less than a week old to prevent rock chips. The local shop that did the install also installed a lense protector for the headlamps and foglamps. They charged about $450 for everything, including installation. So far I like it, you cannot really see it if you are standing about 5 ft away, enless you know what you are looking for. The only problem is there are 2 small places where dirt has gotten behind the film along the edge, with the blizzard white paint you can see a dirty spot there. You probably would not notice it if the paint was a darker color. There is a lifetime warranty on the film and installation so if it gets worse I will have them redo it. The shop used the film from Stongard (http://www.stongard.com/sgcontent/default.asp). When I waxed the other week with Zaino's, I just waxed over it and it left a great shine just like on the paint.
If you are looking to have it done, make sure you go with a good installer, it makes all the difference in the world.
My dealer also installed the clear door protectors at no charge when I purchased it. When I asked about it, they said they install it on all their cars. It looks like the same film used on the front of the car. I have seen these advertised in car product magazines if you want to install yourself, I believe Griots has them.

Last edited by CdeFabio; 04-14-04 at 11:55 AM.