GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Adding Rear Seat Entertainment

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-04, 12:34 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Rear Seat Entertainment

I have a GX with Factory NAV and premium ML soundsystem with CD Changer. Wanted to know if i could add a Rear Seat DVD Entertainment with it now. I want some thing like factory... and a pure DVD player not something running through a FM Modulator.
Pls Advice if its possible. Thanks
Old 03-23-04, 01:06 PM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

Red face No deal!

Adil,

I asked my dealer, and he said is NOT possible!

I also regretted that I didn't spend 2 grands more on my GX!

So, no way!

David
Old 03-23-04, 07:47 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Default dvd player

HEY David

Today i went to a car audio shop here in toronto. (for the back Up camera initially)
And the guy told me that he can add the back up camera +DVD player+overhead Monitor+2 Headrest Monitors for C$4000.
There's an adapter which is C$1000 by itself which will hook up an aftermarket DVD player to the Factory ML unit. And he said Backup camera goes directly behind the NAV screen.The name of the shop is kennedy Hi-Fi.

David when i bought my GX from Prestige lexus, he dint have any other black model with NAV in it so i couldn't get the RearSeatEntertainment... (thats what they told me anyway).
Old 03-23-04, 08:34 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I struggled with this for months. You can get a DVD player installed into the GX, but supplying any video to to the NAV screen was not possible. It is not even a question of connecting video, because the shop I worked with found the video and audio leads, it was a question of triggering the computer to tell it that when you hit mode, after cycling through the CD player it should now turn to DVD.

Have that company tell you exactly what after market part they plan to use so you can research it and make sure it's what you want. Otherwise, you'll go through a lot of headaches. The other thing you can do is to see if they can let you call a referral that they did this for.
Old 03-23-04, 09:56 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by looknow12
[B]You can get a DVD player installed into the GX
Hi Looknow......

You might find this website interesting.

http://www.nav-tv.com/products-dealer-universal.htm

~ Cap
Old 03-24-04, 05:12 AM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

Well, Let's see!

How about OEM headrest.

http://www.editorpressroom.com/vizua...ew-models.html

DavidsGX
Old 03-24-04, 06:38 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

search for it.. someone here added more screens to their gx
Old 03-24-04, 08:03 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Capirato
[B]
Originally posted by looknow12
You can get a DVD player installed into the GX
Hi Looknow......

~ Cap
I know a lot of those kits are supported by the older model Nav systems but make sure you check on the new one. The GX employs one of the newest generation systems. Also, when you click on products/kits, it does not mention Lexus. It's not that I don't see the part, I do. But I just caution anyone to make sure they don't trust any "Universal" adapter for a Lexus. Lexus has different revision units in their vehicles that are controlled by the body control computer. Be careful!
Old 03-24-04, 08:36 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

I struggled with this for months. You can get a DVD player installed into the GX, but supplying any video to to the NAV screen was not possible. It is not even a question of connecting video, because the shop I worked with found the video and audio leads, it was a question of triggering the computer to tell it that when you hit mode, after cycling through the CD player it should now turn to DVD.

Have that company tell you exactly what after market part they plan to use so you can research it and make sure it's what you want. Otherwise, you'll go through a lot of headaches. The other thing you can do is to see if they can let you call a referral that they did this for.
hey Looknow12

Thanks for your advice... actually the guy (co-incidently) has a 03,LX 470 in the garage itself with all this done on it.... he even has a sooped up navigator too...
he showed me everything is gonna work the way on lx470... its just like a factory DVD player.infact better.
If you need any thing done .. u can contact this guy and he will explain it to ya. let me know if you need the #.
thanks.
(PS> the mode button does work ... it swicthes to DVD after CD player operation.
Old 03-24-04, 08:38 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Capirato
[B]
You can get a DVD player installed into the GX
Hi Looknow......

~ Cap
Thanks Capirato...

thats the adapter which the shop guy was talking about...NAV TV Adapter...
Old 03-24-04, 12:11 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For some reason, what works on an LX will not work on a GX.

I had an aftermarket DVD and Headrest Screens installed including a Game Port and a TV Receiver. Everything worked beautiful, except the controller that was to show the video on the NAV.

The shop that did the installation has installed the same system on LXs before and they work fine.

The TV NAV controller was returned to the manufacturer because it was defective, besides it not working properly.

Wish I could tell you the end of the story at this time. The controller has been fixed and returned and is ready to re-install, but I'm leaving town for two weeks and won't have it installed until after Easter.

At that time, I will give you a report.

~ Cap
Old 03-24-04, 08:49 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally posted by Capirato
For some reason, what works on an LX will not work on a GX.

I had an aftermarket DVD and Headrest Screens installed including a Game Port and a TV Receiver. Everything worked beautiful, except the controller that was to show the video on the NAV.

The shop that did the installation has installed the same system on LXs before and they work fine.

The TV NAV controller was returned to the manufacturer because it was defective, besides it not working properly.

Wish I could tell you the end of the story at this time. The controller has been fixed and returned and is ready to re-install, but I'm leaving town for two weeks and won't have it installed until after Easter.

At that time, I will give you a report.

~ Cap
Hey Cap

thanks for the input... pls keep us posted on that ... i'm gonna wait till i hear about ur story... since its alot of money to have a DVD playing, specially when u r always the driver.