GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-17, 06:39 PM
DavE713
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I bought 2 kits from XD I picked a 2011 Prius H11 kit http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-HID-Ki...D-p/xt-h11.htm added 2 H11 kits into the cart thinking since its an H11 kit it'll work for my GX470 too. I installed the first kit on the Prius and the driver side was flickering and the passenger side did not work. I opened up the 2nd kit and used the ballast in that kit for the Prius (passenger side) and it fired right up....with the driver side still flickering. The same day I tired to install the 2nd kit on the GX and it did not work at all. Do you guys think it was because I picked the wrong car? I tried to mix and match both bulb and ballast on the passenger side with no luck. Do I need to use the relays to make it work?

Last edited by DavE713; 01-23-17 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-25-17, 07:58 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Nope, not at all. Should work no problem. Please send me a PM or email with your order info (info@xenondepot.com) and I will give you a call to get this resolved.

Steve
Old 02-07-17, 04:37 PM
mysh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just pulled the trigger and bought the H11 kit 5K bulb for my 2005 GX. Seemed like a nice price with the sale and coupon code. Brought it down to $140.

I really hope this is as easy as people say in here. I am not a car guy and I don't really like working on electrical. I am good with computers but I never got into working on cars.

From what I read in this thread I don't need the canbus and with the new kit I don't need to use the relay. One of my biggest worries is mounting the ballast. I read how others used 3M two sided tape and I would love to just do this but I do go offroading. I live in the Mountains and take the GX on bumpy roads quite often. Will the tape be enough?

I really hope this makes a big difference over the oem halogens. I feel my lights have gotten worse over the years and a couple weeks ago I had Lexus do the refurb on the light covers. It did help but they are still weak, and where i live it makes things very dangerous. The last thing I want is to hit a elk or moose due to poor lighting.
Old 02-07-17, 06:42 PM
drowssap
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know I keep reading posts from people with completely different experiences. My set up was plug and play. Someone that purchased the exact same equipment as I did then reported that there stuff was not working. It was due to polarity needing reversed which is very simple but I don't know why some need it and others do not. Then someone commented that they have lousy light dispersion or cutoff line. We both installed our kits into brand new DEPO headlights and mine had a beautiful cutoff line. The only difference was that I purchased the Phillips bulbs and he didn't. I don't know if that changes anything but that was the only difference between the two setups. I also installed my ballasts using the provided double side tape and had the same concerns you do. Instead of installing them in the desirable area of the apron side, I placed them on the flat section of the wheel well. This will prevent the sticky tape from performing double duty. I would have preferred the apron side but I was not motivated enough to drill holes, apply paint to prevent corrosion and then install! I am not a lazy person but I was ok with this compromise!
Old 03-03-17, 09:30 AM
NvrSumR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I've debated whether to write this post or not. I had the kit installed for a couple weeks (back in September I believe). Noticed that the passenger side light would not come on at times, and after disconnecting and reconnecting all of the connections and turning the lights on and off the light would come back on. I tightened the main wire going to the passenger side and that seemed to help.

I went 2-3 months without any issues and then the driver side light started doing the exact same thing. So I would have to turn the lights on and off over and over to get it to come on. Again I disconnected all of the connections and reconnected. Nothing I could do seemed to help so I finally took the entire unit out. I hate the stock bulbs but at least they work. I'd like to re-install with better results, any suggestions?

P.S. The lights are great and I love the color, just couldn't get them to work properly on my end.
Old 03-03-17, 10:36 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a 2004 GX470 installed the kit 3 years ago works flawless Never any issues Email steve and he may be able to help you. There system is great looks good and always performs

Originally Posted by NvrSumR
Ok so I've debated whether to write this post or not. I had the kit installed for a couple weeks (back in September I believe). Noticed that the passenger side light would not come on at times, and after disconnecting and reconnecting all of the connections and turning the lights on and off the light would come back on. I tightened the main wire going to the passenger side and that seemed to help.

I went 2-3 months without any issues and then the driver side light started doing the exact same thing. So I would have to turn the lights on and off over and over to get it to come on. Again I disconnected all of the connections and reconnected. Nothing I could do seemed to help so I finally took the entire unit out. I hate the stock bulbs but at least they work. I'd like to re-install with better results, any suggestions?

P.S. The lights are great and I love the color, just couldn't get them to work properly on my end.
Old 04-11-17, 01:52 PM
dkpnkc
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just ordered the 4300k kit w/ the Phillips bulb upgrade along w/ H3 4300k kit for the fogs. I'm also replacing the headlights so I figure w/ the bumper off it should be a fairly easy install. Fingers crossed...
Old 07-11-17, 08:37 AM
Rob6656
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a question about the longevity of the HID headlights. I was reading in the GX 460 forum that it is recommended to replace the bulbs every 5 years. Is this also the case with the Xenondepot ones? I ordered a kit for my GX (470) and I am super excited to get them. I am just wanting to make sure I know what I am getting into.
Old 07-11-17, 12:24 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rob6656
I have a question about the longevity of the HID headlights. I was reading in the GX 460 forum that it is recommended to replace the bulbs every 5 years. Is this also the case with the Xenondepot ones? I ordered a kit for my GX (470) and I am super excited to get them. I am just wanting to make sure I know what I am getting into.
HID bulbs are rated for 2500-3000 hours and over time they can dime and change color. You can always get replacement HID bulbs down the road when needed.

Danny
The following users liked this post:
Rob6656 (07-11-17)
Old 07-11-17, 02:36 PM
Rob6656
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the reply, Danny!
Old 09-11-17, 12:21 PM
hitsofmiss
Rookie

Default HID Kit & Housing

I'm a bit confused. If I want HID, do I have to get all the 3 Kits viz. H11, 9005 & H3 HID Xtreme or I can get say H11 HID Xtreme kit & just get bulbs for the 9005 & H3? If I have to get all 3 kit then it'll turn out to be very expensive.

I'm also thinking of replacing the hazy headlight housing. Any recommendations for '07 GX?
Old 09-12-17, 06:24 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Try cleaning the headlight lenses. But if they won't come clean or stay clean, replacement is the way to go. You can get Chinese-made copies on eBay and some members here have had good luck with them. But the reputation is they tend to leak. I bought new OEM ones from a dealer that sells parts online (Amazon is another option - just make sure you get what you pay for - Amazon mingles parts in their bins from different suppliers). They're much more expensive, but you get a guaranteed fit and they won't leak.

I have a PDF of the replacement process here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...eadlights.html

Chip H.
Old 09-12-17, 07:11 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hitsofmiss
I'm a bit confused. If I want HID, do I have to get all the 3 Kits viz. H11, 9005 & H3 HID Xtreme or I can get say H11 HID Xtreme kit & just get bulbs for the 9005 & H3? If I have to get all 3 kit then it'll turn out to be very expensive.

I'm also thinking of replacing the hazy headlight housing. Any recommendations for '07 GX?
If you want HID for all 3 lights then yes you would need to get 3 HID kits. Normally, we don't recommend HID for the high beams and fog lights so going with LED for those would be better.

As for the headlight it self, I would recommend cleaning it first with a headlight cleaning kit like the Philips Headlight Restoration Kit

Feel free to give us a call at 1-877-522-2701 for further assistance.

Danny
Old 01-31-18, 02:02 PM
GXONE
Driver School Candidate

I've had my 2006 GX now for all of 4 weeks, and I just ordered the 4300k HID H11 extreme kit for $139.49 last day of January deal. Should come in by Tuesday. I'll give an update on how the install went...
The following users liked this post:
XenonDepot (02-01-18)
Old 02-01-18, 06:31 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GXONE
I've had my 2006 GX now for all of 4 weeks, and I just ordered the 4300k HID H11 extreme kit for $139.49 last day of January deal. Should come in by Tuesday. I'll give an update on how the install went...
Congrats on the new vehicle and the lights! Let us know what you think once you get the chance to install them.

Danny

Quick Reply: GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide