GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-16, 08:19 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Legends6spd
Can do this HID installation without disconnecting and taking out your battery?

Yep its a little tight but easy enough to do!! no issues
Old 11-19-16, 04:24 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Booyah for the quick reply! I have the VOLT kit and I don't see a connection to the battery. Is that because I don't have a relay and don't need to connect to the battery? The factory harness will power the kit on its own?

Saw it on another thread that I don't need to connect to the battery with the VOLT. I turned on the light and it didn't work. I see in the instructions about car's reverse polarity - what does that mean? Can I just flip the connector around and try again or will I need to "re-wire" ?

Last edited by Legends6spd; 11-19-16 at 04:58 AM.
Old 11-19-16, 05:41 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Nevermind, I swapped the lights from left to right and replugged in and now it is working <Shrug>
The space wasn't big enough for me because the VOLT bulb was longer than the stock. I didn't have to disconnect the battery but did have to loosen it and pushed it back temporarily as I fit the bulbs in. Now the question is where to store the ballast on the driver's side w/out taking out the battery
Old 11-19-16, 05:43 AM
01Snake
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tackling this task today.
Old 11-19-16, 07:21 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

put everything back and now can't start the car. i hear clicking sound. only possibility is if the battery is drained while i was doing all the testing of the bulbs?

sigh, nothing is quite as easy as it should b
Old 11-21-16, 03:49 PM
01Snake
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Got mine installed. Just used the directions that came with the lights and didn't really have any issues. I did end up extending the power wire leading to the battery so I could route it out of sight.

As far as the results... huge improvement over the stock lights. They are pretty bright but I haven't had anyone flash me in the limited night-driving thus far.
Old 01-11-17, 12:21 PM
drowssap
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I just ordered my kit. Went with the Phillips 4300k bulbs but I included the osram high beams and fog light bulbs which are supposed to come close to the color temp of the HID's. I also ordered a new set of the DEPO sport housings. Crossing my fingers that this all comes out great!
Old 01-20-17, 06:15 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can someone tell me if I need a CAN Bus add-on to install the H11 HID Kit Xtreme HID from Xenon Depot for my GX470?

http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-HID-Ki...D-p/xt-h11.htm

They have a sale ending today, and I want to pull the trigger, but not until I know whether or not I need CAN Bus to install these for my regular headlamps (not DRL's, or High Beams, or Fogs).

Also, how many CAN Bus will I need to do all 4 turn signals?

And do I need additional CAN Bus to do Brake Lights?

I realize that this just turned into three questions instead of one, but I repeatedly find myself going on the site to order bulbs but then getting discouraged and giving up because it's surprisingly confusing. Even with their buyer's guide/FAQ.

If anyone out there is in the mood to write up precisely everything needed to convert all lights to LED (interior and exterior) that would be splendid. Yes, I know they have a vehicle fit finder, but nothing on the site tells you exactly what you need, in what quantity, to do everything on the car. Shouldn't a fit finder tell you whether or not you need a CAN Bus for a specific product you've selected? Xenon Depot's does not.

Yes, I've emailed them, it wasn't much help, which is apparently not the norm as I've heard repeatedly that they have great service. But the question I did pose to them (verbatim: "If I do front and rear turning signals how many CAN Bus do I need to do that?") wasn't answered very clearly so now I'm here.

Hopefully it's not too much to ask, and thanks to any industrious soul who undertakes the challenge!

Last edited by mstrsltr; 01-20-17 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-20-17, 07:07 PM
Im1406
Driver School Candidate

No need for Canbus for the HID. I got the 4300 Phillips bulbs. Great clear light, no hint of blue. You will be amazed with how street signs jump out at you.
Turn signals will require an inline resistor to prevent hyper flash. Brake lights are plug and play. No canbus needed there either.
Old 01-20-17, 09:40 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Originally Posted by Im1406
No need for Canbus for the HID. I got the 4300 Phillips bulbs. Great clear light, no hint of blue. You will be amazed with how street signs jump out at you.
Turn signals will require an inline resistor to prevent hyper flash. Brake lights are plug and play. No canbus needed there either.
thanks for the clear and concise reply!

so I only need one CAN Bus module to do all four turn signals?

When I emailed and asked Xenon Depot how many CAN Bus I needed to do all four signals they said "CAN Bus modules are sold in pairs". Should I take that to mean each set of signals requires one CAN Bus module?

Last edited by mstrsltr; 01-20-17 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-20-17, 09:54 PM
drowssap
Driver School Candidate

WHUT??? Who told you this? You do not need can bus adapters for the exterior lights or any for that matter! If you replace all outside bulbs with LED's you will be fine BUT...if you replace the turn signal bulbs with LED's you will need to perform some additional work. The load from the led bulbs is not enough for the flasher relay to recognize so you will get a rapid flash. Same thing as the warning you get if one bulb is dead. If you are ok with this then yes it is all plug and play. If you want to do this the correct way you will have to add resistors in line at each bulb so that it sends the correct resistance to the flasher relay. Now in other cars you can just install the bulbs and replace the flasher relay with a special one designed to work with LED's but unfortunately they do not make one for our vehicles. Even though if you search for one you will find some relays that claim they will fit....they will not! Our relay has a 12 pin plug and all of these other relays are 8 pin. Your flasher relay is clipped onto the back of your fuse panel at your left knee inside the dash. If you hit the turn signals and reach under....once you locate it the relay you will be able to feel it click. There is someone that figured out how to hack up the relay and make it work but that isn't what I wanted for my install so to each their own.
Old 01-20-17, 10:22 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

So in order to do 4 turn signals (front and back) and avoid hyper flash, I would need an individual resistor in line for each of the 4 lights? Thus totaling four resistors?

Where "in line" does this install? Right between the bulb base and the oem socket?

Last edited by mstrsltr; 01-23-17 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-20-17, 10:27 PM
drowssap
Driver School Candidate

Ok...let me get more detailed.....never refer to the resistor as the can bus adapter because they are two different things it is not AKA anything. You will most definitely confuse anyone else when discussing this and you may end up receiving the wrong part. The resistor will have to be spliced into the wiring harness that plugs into the rear taillights and they will need to be spliced into the harness that plugs into the bulbs up front. Hope this helps and wish you luck. You may want to google this and watch as many videos as you can find. I applaud you for trying to figure it out.
Old 01-23-17, 09:41 AM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Originally Posted by drowssap
Ok...let me get more detailed.....never refer to the resistor as the can bus adapter because they are two different things it is not AKA anything. You will most definitely confuse anyone else when discussing this and you may end up receiving the wrong part. The resistor will have to be spliced into the wiring harness that plugs into the rear taillights and they will need to be spliced into the harness that plugs into the bulbs up front. Hope this helps and wish you luck. You may want to google this and watch as many videos as you can find. I applaud you for trying to figure it out.
Apologies! I will go back and edit the mistake... there's nothing worse than further muddying the waters, which is not my intent!
Old 01-23-17, 10:10 AM
drowssap
Driver School Candidate

No no!! No apologies needed! I was not trying to sound aggressive but after reading my post again I can see why you would feel that is what I was doing! I was just trying to make sure that you got the correct info to avoid making a mistake!. I just want you to be able to figure out what you need quickly. I apologize!

Quick Reply: GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide