GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide

Old 05-02-14, 02:19 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
Got it installed last night, should have read the instructions that ship with the kit before I got started, took me a while to figure out the spacer had to be removed and the gasket set into the groove where it was before the bulbs will fit into the headlight, lol. That was literally the only info I was missing from the instructions in this thread, oh well.

The harnesses have obviously changed since these instructions were put together, as they were identical in length, and you plug into the factory harness on both sides now rather than a single input and tape up the other plug, each HID is essentially it's own circuit and the only common point is the + wire connection to the battery. Took about an hour, looks great, very happy with the results.

I took some before shots the other night, I'll try and get some afters in the same location for comparison and post them up. Now I need some yellow fog light bulbs, any suggestions?
Awesome thank you for the great feedback! Looking forward to seeing the before and after.

For the yellow fog lights, you can iether get yellow halogen bulbs or 3000K HID kit.

Danny
Old 05-06-14, 02:30 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Here's a few iPhone pics I took; before, after, and high beams. I did my best to ensure I was in the exact same position, but a better camera than my iPhone would have been nice.

You can see the light extends a bit further, definitely wider, and much brighter than stock bulbs. No adjustments to the headlight aiming was made.
Attached Thumbnails GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide-image-914756669.jpg   GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide-image-2948634273.jpg   GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide-image-3536470169.jpg  
Old 05-07-14, 07:41 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by IanB2
Here's a few iPhone pics I took; before, after, and high beams. I did my best to ensure I was in the exact same position, but a better camera than my iPhone would have been nice.

You can see the light extends a bit further, definitely wider, and much brighter than stock bulbs. No adjustments to the headlight aiming was made.
Thanks for posting the before and after pictures! Enjoy the improved lighting

Danny
Old 08-15-14, 08:14 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Taco_Kid
i installed a XD Extreme kit. went fairly smooth, but i extended passenger side +12v line and made a single connection to battery (not to the battery stud bolt). i also put some of my own braided tibing over some areas of the wires, it comes with nylon braid which is not heat resistent so be sure to keep the wires away from heat.

just a few pics showing how i mounted the items. the relay pill boxes i just did a zip tie to whatever i could, the other pill box lays flat in some area depending on how you route the wires, so to secure it i just used wad of black silicone under the pill box, etc. the screws for controllers are just 5/8" self tapping zinc screws (use sticky pad 1st, etc.). a #6 screw is best, a #8 means you have to open up the holes on the controller (which is what i did). and yes, take the battery out to install.

anyways,my only gripes are:
1) passenger side +12v wire needed to be about 24" longer.
2) the connections are just crimped (not soldered).
3) the brading is nylon, should be fiberglass for automotive application, etc.

the red lines in this pic are just showing how i joined the +12v together and the path they take, along with some of my own fiberglass brading.
This is great! Glad to hear your happy with your HID kit and appreciate the feedback.

Danny
Old 08-15-14, 01:48 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

so far so good, now its into the longevity stage.
Nice job! My kits have been going strong for 4 years now, if you start noticing anything weird like not firing up ect.... FIRST thing to check is your 2 fuses as they will get all nasty and get corrosion on them, pop those out and clean or replace them and 99% thats all it is. I even put dialectic grease and it helped some, so check fuses first
Old 09-13-14, 01:08 PM
snaprp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Xtreme HID kit with philips bulbs 4300K on 2009 GX470 . I installed the kit with the relays, getting power directly from the battery of the car. Everything works great but there is one issue that drives me nuts. When I'm driving over bumpy road the HIDs are flickering. I thought that the bulbs are not tightened enough. But that wasn't the problem, they fitted perfectly, the weren't loosened. I even changed the rubber band with my old bulbs. That wasn't the problem either, it's still flickering. After a customer service suggestion I removed the relays and connected the kit directly to the car harness. And it's still flickering. The balast are mounted properly, they're not shaking or anything. Even I zip tied the wires coming ot of the bulbs to prevent trembling from the weight of the wires. Everything is connected tide and secured. Any suggestions?

P.S. I am sorry for my English, as you probably guess I am a foreigner.
Old 09-15-14, 07:52 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

snaprp - are the lights physically turning on/off?

Steve
Old 09-17-14, 02:08 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

I just realized that this thread is OVER 10 years old.... Wow!
Old 09-18-14, 01:07 AM
snaprp
Driver School Candidate

"flickering"? i guess kinda what Steve is asking, flickering like you see a loose light on a motorcycle, or are they going off and then back on again?

do the relays have a good solid connection to ground? are all of the plugs snapped in fully?

although i had to modify the kit slightly (longer cable, single connection to battery), my kit works just fine.

did you remove the extra spacer from the bulb before inserting it into the socket?
Sorry for the late reply I haven't checked the thread for few days.

So the flickering is exactly like loose light on motorcycle. I removed the relays because I thought they may be causing the problem, but no, without them same thing.

Now what do you mean by removing the extra spacer from the bulb? I didn't touch anything.
Old 09-19-14, 09:44 AM
snaprp
Driver School Candidate

the bulbs come is a package and when you 1st take them out there is a extra foam washer on the bulb with the rubber one behind it. did you remove that extra foam washer? it should be removed.
Of course I removed the foam washer, that thing would have been melted in seconds. I put the halogen bulbs back and there is no flickering. So it's not the headlight projectors either.
Old 09-20-14, 11:52 AM
snaprp
Driver School Candidate

can you grab a little video at night with lights up against garage door or something? to me sounds like you have a wiring issue or something, maybe a connector not snapped in all the way, etc.
When the car stay stable it doesn't do anything only when I am driving over bumpy road you can see this loose bulb effect (trembling). I tried to make a video but you can't see it on the video. Probably because the phone is moving too over the bumps. I don't know but I am tired of this, it's been 2 weeks so far every other day under the car hood... I'll stick with the halogen bulbs, that's just ridiculous. Well spent $200 I learned my lesson. Thank you guys for trying to help me I appreciate it.
Old 09-20-14, 12:13 PM
snaprp
Driver School Candidate

Steve is saying that it's because the xenon bulbs are 3 times brighter than the halogen bulbs and that's why the cut off is noticeable. Practically every GX470 should see the same thing that I am seeing. Whatever I am tired of this. Thanks again.
Old 09-21-14, 06:38 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Booyah;8510628[B
]Trust me you be kicking yourself waiting so long to do it lol[/B]. Next is the foglights, double your viewing pleasure
Booyah,how are you?? You will not remember me,but,I bought the 4300 Extreme HID kit from Xenon Depot.I do not remember who got theirs first but I remember your name during that time. You guys are going to get a kick out of this including Steve.

reading from my receipt,I purchased the kit on.....are you ready for this?? December 3,2008.....

I installed the kit today. Pics of where I installed everything are below,I hope you can see them ok. The only parts that I thought were marginal were the harness connections which are not close to factory weather packs IMO. When I plugged mIne in,the pins were actually forced back which gave me concerns of them pulling out during daily use. The fix was to fill with silicone from the back,Electrical grease was used in the other end(where they actually plug together),all connections were also sprayed with Deoxit,and finally,electrical tape was used on plug in connectors to insure wires would not shake loose or back out.

Stainless steel #8 screws worked well to bolt relays and ballasts to parts of the car. Installation was straight forward and easy. The lights look great .
Attached Thumbnails GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide-passenger.jpg   GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide-driver.jpg   GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide-battery.jpg  

Last edited by Wronglane; 09-21-14 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-21-14, 10:37 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL--wow glad you finally got around to installing those! They are great huh? Enjoy them
Old 09-22-14, 05:34 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Booyah
LOL--wow glad you finally got around to installing those! They are great huh? Enjoy them
Thank you. Have you had any issues since putting them in?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide