GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Just got my Xenondepot H11 kit!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-12, 02:52 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chrisvr6, how are you coming. Are they working now???
Old 02-16-12, 04:13 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisvr6
why is my drivers side not firing off on startup when lights are set to auto??? driving me crazy! i have to turn lights off then back to auto to work. i got the 4300k volt kit. help!
It's not recommended to use the AUTO light setting, I think I read somewhere that it causes premature wear on the bulbs.
Old 02-16-12, 04:40 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

I don't believe that is right redrocks. Turning them on and off frequently, will prematurely wear out the bulb. Example, having hid low beams in a car that has automatic switching from high to low beams. Auto, just turns on the lights when it is dark enough. Which brings up a dissapointment. You have automatic turning on of the lights, but no automatic diming. Another dissapointment is there is no battery run down protection, at least not on mine. In some cars, everything gets turned off in 15 minutes, even if you leave a door open. Waiting for chrisvr6 to get back to us on whether he did a little fiddling with his lights.

Last edited by Ancient; 02-16-12 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-16-12, 05:45 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ancient is right. Auto function will not shorten the life of the HID units in any way, shape or form. Flicking it on and off for poops and giggles for hours on end will do it, but even then, they'll last a long time.

Durable stuff, but again, get them factory quality units and none of that gray market junk.
Old 02-16-12, 05:56 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ancient
I don't believe that is right redrocks. Turning then on and off frequently, will prematurely wear out the bulb. Example, having hid low beams in a car that has automatic switching from high to low beams. Auto, just turns on the lights when it is dark enough. Which brings up a dissapointment. You have automatic turning on of the lights, but no automatic diming. Another dissapointment is there is no battery run down protection, at least not on mine. In some cars, everything gets turned off in 15 minutes, even if you leave a door open. Waiting for chrisvr6 to get back to us on whether he did a little fiddling with his lights.
I agree that turning light on/off frequently will cause bulb to wear prematurely, but on the Volt kit, when starting the vehicle (at night), your HID light will not be receiving a constant power at vehicle startup (when in auto, lights come on before engine actually starts). This is not a problem when using the Extreme kit because it uses relay harness to draw power directly from the battery. I;m sure I read this on a HID FAQ?
Old 02-16-12, 06:59 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

why is my drivers side not firing off on startup when lights are set to auto??? driving me crazy! i have to turn lights off then back to auto to work. i got the 4300k volt kit. help!
Chrisvr6,

Try starting the engine with lights set to "off". There may be a power surge on start up that causing the ballast to "stop" the surge to bulb. When you turn to "Off" position and then turn "on", ballast resets and allows power to bulb. Not sure if this is what's happening, but try this.
Old 02-16-12, 07:05 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocks
It's not recommended to use the AUTO light setting, I think I read somewhere that it causes premature wear on the bulbs.
I remember reading that too. I think it was actually Steve that pointed that out.
Old 02-16-12, 08:02 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

You may be right. When I leave my car at night, I automatically turn my headlights to off. I don't want to come back in my car and try and start it with the lights on. Every car I have ever owned, other than the GX, had a relay, so if the lights were in the "on" position, the lights would not come on, until after the car started. I am so used to this now, turning the lights to off, when I turn my engine off.
Old 02-16-12, 08:13 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have any data to back that premise, but it doesn't sound that far fetched. Since reading that it could shorten the life span, I have begun turning the lights off when I turn the car off. If it isn't accurate, it's no big deal to me.
Old 02-16-12, 09:02 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Too much of a hassle for me. On both my cars, I always have the low beams on when the car's in operation. On my weekend driver, I have to manually do it. On the GX, the lights are always set to on. When the car is turned off, the headlights do not turn off until I open the door. In other words, I never touch my headlight ****.

If I didn't have HIDs on my GX, I'd just set it to auto to take advantage of the amber DRL. The halogen bulbs are ugly. I never turn on my fogs either as I like a clean two light source look at all times. Picky, eh? Yes, very vain as well.

HIDs blazing day and night. Safety thing, too, and mandated in some countries.

Last edited by ROK; 02-16-12 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-17-12, 03:51 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ROK
How many more times do the informed users have to chime in for you to get clued in that your barney 6K bulbs throw out less light than 4300K? And then 6K is better than 4300K in bad weather? Did you get this off of a facebook post?

Toyota, BMW, Audi, Hyundai, Honda source their HID bulbs from all but a handful of vendors. This includes Philips which is resold by a CL vendor as a plug-and-play kit. Manufacturer to manufacturer? I challenge you to do something actually substantive. List out these manufacturers that you reference.
thanx troll, if you read the post above of mine i was referring to higher voltage and the 6K has minimal blue in it, but still white... if you just starting out then you wouldn't know about varying 6K bulbs having different quality... they do have different color varying from kit to kit... bulb to bulb... anyway you play good games of trolling when someone is off guard i give ya that...
Old 02-17-12, 06:58 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by clubsport
thanx troll, if you read the post above of mine i was referring to higher voltage and the 6K has minimal blue in it, but still white... if you just starting out then you wouldn't know about varying 6K bulbs having different quality... they do have different color varying from kit to kit... bulb to bulb... anyway you play good games of trolling when someone is off guard i give ya that...
hey weirdo, it sounds like you got bulb fetish. why don't you takes some pics of your collection and show us what you got. thx.
Old 02-18-12, 05:46 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just switched sides with bulbs. nothing. still problem on drivers side.
Old 02-18-12, 07:15 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Are you still using "Auto" light setting?
Old 02-18-12, 10:39 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If your kit is same as mine then you have a fuse for each light---open up that fuse holder and look at it, mine got all corroded and I had to pull the fuse out and clean it up in there and replaced with new fuse--mine woulnt fire up either on one side and thats what I found to be the problem

Quick Reply: Just got my Xenondepot H11 kit!!