GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Just got my Xenondepot H11 kit!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-11, 12:20 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
To clarify:

1) We stopped using Philips ballasts in our HID kits several years ago. Philips ballasts are great ballasts however they are made for OEM HID applications. In OEM HID applications the ballasts are often mounted in areas that are better protected against the elements. Philips ballasts do have a water seal however they are not completely water tight.

Our Xtreme HID Kit ballasts are epoxy sealed and water tight as they are designed specifically for aftermarket HID applications such as this one.

2) Our Xtreme HID kit w/ Philips bulbs use true German made Philips bulbs (not asian bulbs made in "Philips Authorized" factories).

Steve
Steve,

Appreciate the response and I really liked the fact that I could talk to someone knowledgeable when I called your 877 number. Thanks.

So my question remains that I presented to the forum. How's the quality and color and brightness of the non-Philips Taiwan/China made supplied bulbs that came with the kit I ordered from you?

If I had time and patience, I'd simply return the ones I have and get the Philips bulbs. But my conundrum is that I have my install scheduled for tomorrow and I've already waited quite a while as the ballasts you guys sell were out of stock.

It's either I just go for it with these non-Philips bulbs or I wait some more by exchanging what I have now with the ones with the OEM Philips bulbs. The ballasts don't matter any longer since I can't even get the Philips ballasts per your post.
Old 12-08-11, 12:27 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

ROK: Xtreme bulbs are made in Taiwan. You cannot go wrong with the standard Xtreme bulbs. They utilize German made Philips UV-quartz glass and are manufactured to very high standards. Philips bulb are rated to be slightly brighter on paper however whether or not this is going to translate into something you would actually be able to see is questionable. Philips bulbs do have the ability to color shift once they burn in after 100 hours. This means that the bulbs will reach color temperatures of approximately 4700k.

If you are not happy with the standard Xtreme bulbs or simply prefer the Philips just let me know and I will do my best to help you out.

Steve
Old 12-08-11, 01:16 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

I want that color shift as it'll look bluer.
Old 12-12-11, 01:24 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

So I've been running the XenonDepot kit for a few days now which you can read are not the Philips bulbs (my mistake ordering the wrong set). Here are my observations compared to the OEM setup on my Porsche 911.

-They don't fire up to full brightness nearly as quickly as the Porsche lighting system which act the same as the E46 M3, 2011 Range Rover, and Honda S2000 from personal experience. It takes maybe 10-15 seconds for the light to settle to full brightness on a cold start whereas in the 911, they're at full brightness almost immediately. Not sure whether this is the result of the non-Philips bulbs or ballast sold by Xenon Depot. Maybe the Philips bulbs act the same way as the P-car unit? Maybe it's dependent on the ballast used? Don't know.

-The color of the XenonDepot supplied bulbs aren't as blue as my color-shifted 911 bulbs (I went with 4300K)

-Install was fine and the shop that I used didn't say there were any issues. They did charge me for 3 hours of labor. They're known to be expensive, but I use them on all my cars for peace of mind. If they had to splice and dice, they would've let me know. Good.

-The packaging was really well done. They even included the gloves to handle the HID bulbs. Steve and the XD team have been readily available over the phone, email and here which is really great.

I'll likely end up buying the Philips bulbs just for peace of mind. For now, these work all right. They throw out a brighter than stock, OEM looking white light closest to daylight which was what I wanted. Not into the 6K bulbs.

Now only time will tell how reliable the kit proves to be. If something goes awry, you guys will be the first to know. Thanks.

Last edited by ROK; 12-12-11 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-12-11, 01:46 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

ROK,

Thank you for taking the time to posting up some feedback.

If you do decide to go with the Philips bulbs just let me know and I will do my best to help you out.

Steve
Old 12-13-11, 12:55 PM
bigbriman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
ROK,

Thank you for taking the time to posting up some feedback.

If you do decide to go with the Philips bulbs just let me know and I will do my best to help you out.

Steve

Looks like everyone on here is having a great experience with you guys. I wonder why I ordered my bulbs almost a month ago and I still have nothing.
Old 12-13-11, 01:31 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

bigbriman: What is your order number? All bulbs are in stock and there are no backorders so I am not sure what the issue with your order is.

Steve
Old 12-13-11, 01:47 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

yea what an odd post - there's no way steve and team would miss something as simple as order fulfillment.
Old 12-13-11, 02:06 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe someone stole them off the porch?
Old 12-13-11, 06:20 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

I just realized that I forgot to thank Steve for all his hard work. I only know of a handful of vendors that deliver good product, service, and take genuine interest in the actual cars that they supply with parts.

Thanks for doing the research to piece together a quality HID kit in a market full of wannabes. I appreciate you guys!

(in no way affiliated with xenondepot - just another customer)
Old 12-14-11, 08:34 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Thanks Rok! It's been a pleasure working with you =)

We do work hard to take care of forum members as it's what being a supporting vendor is (should be) all about.

Steve
Old 12-14-11, 02:50 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey ROK----

I started off with the same as you the Phillips 4300K kit! Loved it but wanted a little more bluer tint, so I contacted Steve and we went with the 5K bulbs--I went ahead and got a Fog HID kit 5K as well. Let me tell you its perfect I think, I didnt lose any light that I see but I got that slight Blue tint I wanted to see.

For the record as you see they dont fire up immediately as you realized. My BMW fires up within seconds---But really no big deal to me! I have been running Steves KIts for over 2 years--Simply perfect.

I have been wanting to try some 3K bulbs in my Fog lights--So I may contact him and get it done
Old 12-14-11, 03:15 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

I have been wanting to try some 3K bulbs in my Fog lights--So I may contact him and get it done
Whenever you're ready buddy!
Old 12-14-11, 04:32 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Booyah
Hey ROK----

I started off with the same as you the Phillips 4300K kit! Loved it but wanted a little more bluer tint, so I contacted Steve and we went with the 5K bulbs--I went ahead and got a Fog HID kit 5K as well. Let me tell you its perfect I think, I didnt lose any light that I see but I got that slight Blue tint I wanted to see.

For the record as you see they dont fire up immediately as you realized. My BMW fires up within seconds---But really no big deal to me! I have been running Steves KIts for over 2 years--Simply perfect.

I don't like anything but 4300K. Just not my style to veer off the OEM path in terms of the aesthetic (a bit too much trying too hard for me).

So I take it you went with the non-Philips 5K bulbs since Philips doesn't make a 5K?

I'm still debating whether I should go with the Philips 4300K bulb to replace my non-Philips 4300K bulb.
Old 12-15-11, 12:28 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well my 5K bulbs are ROK soilid--LOL! they have a tinge of blue like you are looking for I think? I love the 5K. NOT the ricer blue we are thinking of by far means--just a hint

Quick Reply: Just got my Xenondepot H11 kit!!