GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Cheapest place to buy rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-04, 12:00 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Capirato
I installed my own after market spoiler.
Attached Thumbnails Cheapest place to buy rear spoiler-gx470a.jpg  
Old 03-07-04, 07:42 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cover

I installed my own after market spoiler. I disconnected the light on the door, so only the spoiler light lights up. I have not been able to get a cover for the door light. I may just paint it the same color as the door.

~ Cap
Cap,

the cover should've come with the spoiler.
Old 03-07-04, 08:01 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Re: Cover for Third Stop Light

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
Cap,

the cover should've come with the spoiler.
Johnny Mo:

The Covers are not supplied with the after market Spoilers, only with the ones from the Dealers. Lexus does not sell the Covers by themselves. They can't even order replacement Covers.

I'm not even sure that the Covers come with the Spoilers from the Dealer. I have just been told that they do.

~ Cap
Old 03-08-04, 04:23 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Cover for Third Stop Light

Johnny Mo:

The Covers are not supplied with the after market Spoilers, only with the ones from the Dealers. Lexus does not sell the Covers by themselves. They can't even order replacement Covers.

I'm not even sure that the Covers come with the Spoilers from the Dealer. I have just been told that they do.

~ Cap
Let me see what I can find out.
Old 03-24-04, 03:37 AM
Capirato
Racer

Default Re: Re: Re: Cover for Third Stop Light

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
Let me see what I can find out.
Johnny Mo.......

What did you find out about the Light Covers for the Third Stop Light ??

~ Cap
Old 03-24-04, 04:26 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cap

Cap is your spoiler mounted to the car or the rear door?
Old 03-24-04, 04:58 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Re: Cap

Originally posted by Tony
Cap is your spoiler mounted to the car or the rear door?
Tony.....

To the rear door......

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Cheapest place to buy rear spoiler-gx470a.jpg  
Old 03-30-04, 03:37 AM
delmo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Capirato re: spoiler installation

Capirato:

To install the spoiler did you have to drill through the two walls of your rear door? How many holes did you have to drill? Also, did you use the plastic strips as drilling guides. If so, was it difficult to use?

The reason for my asking is that my installation instructions for my after-market spoiler is VERY generic and any extra info would be appreciated.
Old 03-30-04, 06:50 AM
Capirato
Racer

Default Re: To Capirato re: spoiler installation

Originally posted by delmo

Capirato:

To install the spoiler did you have to drill through the two walls of your rear door? How many holes did you have to drill? Also, did you use the plastic strips as drilling guides. If so, was it difficult to use?

The reason for my asking is that my installation instructions for my after-market spoiler is VERY generic and any extra info would be appreciated.

Delmo.....

I drilled three holes. Two for the spoiler and one for the wires. Only went thru one wall. I used the plastic guides. I did it all by myself, but I recommend you having another person to help you.

When screwing the screws from the backside of the door, I recommend you scotch tape the screws to the socket, so you don't lose the screws.

~ Cap

Last edited by Capirato; 02-20-05 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-30-04, 04:19 PM
delmo
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: To Capirato re: spoiler installation

Delmo.....

I drilled three holes. Two for the spoler and one for the wires. Only went thru one wall. I used the plastic guides. I did it all by myself, but I recommend you having another person help you.

When screwing the screws from the backside of the door, I recommend you scotch tape the screws to the socket, so dont lose the screws.

~ Cap
Thanks for your response. One question, though: If you drilled through only one wall how were you able to screw it in from the backside of the double-walled door? Did you by any chance use the large existing holes located in the upper corners of the door?

The spoiler I purchased requires a total of 5 holes to be drilled (4 holes to mount the spoiler and 1 hole for the 3rd brake). I'm wondering if mines is overkill...
Old 03-30-04, 08:47 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Re: Re: Re: To Capirato re: spoiler installation

Originally posted by delmo
Thanks for your response. One question, though: If you drilled through only one wall how were you able to screw it in from the backside of the double-walled door? Did you by any chance use the large existing holes located in the upper corners of the door?

The spoiler I purchased requires a total of 5 holes to be drilled (4 holes to mount the spoiler and 1 hole for the 3rd brake). I'm wondering if mines is overkill...
Delmo......

It may very well have been five holes. I´m in Mexico right now, or I would check the GX now. The drilled holes line up with the big holes on the back of the door. Don´t forget to tape the bolts to the socket wrench to keep from loosing them.

~ Cap

Last edited by Capirato; 03-30-04 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-22-04, 06:06 PM
john5519
Driver School Candidate

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7941933657

or http://www.autoairplus.com/

I just bought this off of ebay for a 2005 GX 470. They actually have them in stock and already painted (at least in silver pine metallic anyway). It was $189.99, shipped the same day, and took a few days from Texas to Los Angeles.

It comes with a painted door light cover just like the dealer ones do. As a matter of fact I am not even sure if this is an aftermarket spoiler or not as the quality and paint is fantastic. The paint itself is flawless with a very smooth clear coat on it.

Installation was very easy. We (my girlfriend and I ) drilled 5 holes and only ended up using 3 of them. We just could reach 2 of them as they were too far away from the factory existing holes located in the upper corners on the inside door. The two screws are very secure though so I would recommend only using the two screws instead of four. Also saves you from going through two walls instead of the one.

The light or should I say lens, and bulbs inside the spoiler are clear (white-ish) when you look at it, but turns the usual bright red when the brakes are applied. Wiring was easy, we unclipped the factory wire and slid the two wires from the spoiler into the clip, then electrical taped them. By trial and error, green went to red and black to white. It didn't work the other way.

The supplied instructions were easy for the drilling and mounting of the spoiler but the wiring diagram was awful. I still don't understand what I was supposed to do but my way worked just fine and was much easier.