GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

creaking rear suspension with KDSS

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-04, 06:11 AM
kph3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation creaking rear suspension with KDSS

I have a loaded 04 with KDSS. At 3200 miles, I have not experienced the problems others have expressed on this forum in regards to the vibration and the feeling of being hit in the rear. However, over the last few weeks, I have been experiencing a creaking and popping coming from the rear of the SUV. And I know this sounds strange....but only when I go over this one road that has been tore up and repatched badly. At the end of this one way street it ends and I have to make a 90 degree turn to the left without coming to a stop. At this point when I am turning is where I hear the creaking, popping and almost banging from under the left rear of the truck. I took it in for service Thursday morning. I explained to the service tech. He thought I was nuts I think. I told him I think we should take it on a drive with someone as I didn't want a call at the end of the day stating that they couldn't duplicate the problem. Well, on the relatively smooth roads near the dealership, we couldn't reproduce it. Luckily, the service manager agreed to go to the road that gives me the problem. This was an 45 minute round trip excursion and I was impressed that he went. I think he was skeptical, but when we went around that turn...it did it.

They have had it for two days and are still trying to figure it out. My question for this forum is...has anyone here experienced this problem and what was the fix?

Thank you...any comments will be appreciated.
Old 02-21-04, 11:59 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember my old 86 4runner used to do that. With hard turns the truck would creak. As I recall it had to do with the rubber bushings that were used for the torsion suspension. They would dry out and creak.

Can't image that is the same thing, but just fyi.
Old 02-25-04, 02:47 PM
kph3
Driver School Candidate

Default Got a call from service today

The service manager told me today that they put sensors on my truck and determined that the noise was coming from my left kinetic dynamic sway bar control cylinder. He said that they opened a case with Lexus and that I was the first on this issue. They are going to have to order in the part and the special tools from Japan to fix the problem. In the meantime, he said it was driveable with no safety issues, so I am picking it up today.
Old 03-01-04, 10:08 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

By the way.

How does the KDSS perform on the road? Is it a noticeable difference? Have you drive both vehicles, with and without?

I'm interested to know whether there is a markable ON-ROAD difference.

Ride
Handling
Cornerning
Ride on uneven road surfaces (like back roads)

Last edited by looknow12; 03-01-04 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-03-04, 09:39 AM
kph3
Driver School Candidate

IMO I think the KDSS is worth the extra $. I test drove the GX without the KDSS on numerous occassions before ordering. I didn't know what to expect when I got mine in, but was pleased. The only way I can descibe it is that is has a tighter feel to the suspension...it feels more buttoned down if that makes sense. The ride is still good and it takes bumps, potholes, ruts, etc. in the road really well. The biggest difference is in the cornering. It definately takes some of the sway out of the vehicle. My prior vehicle was a LX470. I think the GX is actually a little taller than the LX, but with the KDSS, it takes the corners much better. I drive a lot of winding country roads every day, and I prefer the ride in the GX over my LX.

Hope that helps.

By the way...still waiting on that part!
Old 03-03-04, 01:50 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by kph3
IMO I think the KDSS is worth the extra $. I test drove the GX without the KDSS on numerous occassions before ordering. I didn't know what to expect when I got mine in, but was pleased. The only way I can descibe it is that is has a tighter feel to the suspension...it feels more buttoned down if that makes sense. The ride is still good and it takes bumps, potholes, ruts, etc. in the road really well. The biggest difference is in the cornering. It definately takes some of the sway out of the vehicle. My prior vehicle was a LX470. I think the GX is actually a little taller than the LX, but with the KDSS, it takes the corners much better. I drive a lot of winding country roads every day, and I prefer the ride in the GX over my LX.

Hope that helps.

By the way...still waiting on that part!
Does it help reduce dive and squat when braking an accelerating. I understand it seems to help the vehicle from swaying left to right, but what about front to back and vice versa?
Old 03-03-04, 07:20 PM
kph3
Driver School Candidate

When test driving a GX without the KDSS I did not do any hard braking, so I can't comment on a comparison of the two suspensions when braking. I do not recall a difference when accelerating. I guess my main focus was the handling in the corners as that is what corresponds to the type of driving I do on a daily basis.

Anyone else out there notice these differences?