GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear Seat Entertainment features

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-04, 11:22 AM
brent0226
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Seat Entertainment features

I sat in the back of the GX and played around with the rear seat entertainment screen and found some very cool things:
  • The front seat occupants can listen to the radio through the main speakers and the rear seat people can listen to the CD-changer through the headphones at the same time (or CD front, radio rear). Just press the "source" button on the remote. If you choose to listen to the same audio in the headphones that the front seat occupants are listening to (both listening to CD, both listening to radio), you can change the front seat's station with the remote.
  • You can control the navigation screen from the rear seat. Press the "cursor" button on the remote and it allows you to navigate the pointer to click.
  • You can input destinations from the rear even when the car is in motion. Press "rear" on the remote and it turns off the front display to say something like "You are now in rear screen operation." The rear seat occupants can now input the destination with the remote.
  • Also by pressing "rear" you can use the calendar and maintenance screens uninhibited.

I wonder how many kids actually figure these features out! This car would seriously be a dream to take on vacation. With that rear plug kids can play video games through the rear seat. too cool!
Old 02-15-04, 02:49 PM
Kbach
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My teenagers figures all the features out pretty quick. They hate what I listen to, so it really works good. Also, the playstation goes on all long trips. Would like to know if the front nav screen can control the DVD movies, as it's a little bit of a hastle when the granddaughter is alone in the back.
Old 02-15-04, 04:21 PM
brent0226
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that you can control the DVD from the front only when the parking brake is on. You can't do it while moving unless you do that hack that people have done.
Old 02-16-04, 10:12 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rear Seat Entertainment features

Originally posted by brent0226
I sat in the back of the GX and played around with the rear seat entertainment screen and found some very cool things:
  • The front seat occupants can listen to the radio through the main speakers and the rear seat people can listen to the CD-changer through the headphones at the same time (or CD front, radio rear). Just press the "source" button on the remote. If you choose to listen to the same audio in the headphones that the front seat occupants are listening to (both listening to CD, both listening to radio), you can change the front seat's station with the remote.
  • You can control the navigation screen from the rear seat. Press the "cursor" button on the remote and it allows you to navigate the pointer to click.
  • You can input destinations from the rear even when the car is in motion. Press "rear" on the remote and it turns off the front display to say something like "You are now in rear screen operation." The rear seat occupants can now input the destination with the remote.
  • Also by pressing "rear" you can use the calendar and maintenance screens uninhibited.

I wonder how many kids actually figure these features out! This car would seriously be a dream to take on vacation. With that rear plug kids can play video games through the rear seat. too cool!
Drove the vehicle from Virginia to Vermont and back this weekend. Used a lot of these features. PS2 only had the S-Video cable so couldn't use that as the rear system will only take RCA video input.

Wasn't aware of the 'rear' button functionality. I did press it once, but got sidetracked and didn't continue. I always wondered why the rear seat couldn't control it, I guess that's because the two systems normally just work in like a mirror mode and when you press rear, it locks down the view and control of the front system. Makes sense, that is if you believe any of these features should be locked down to the driver. Make cell phones illegal first then call me about using the NAV system while driving.

I don't like the voice recognition system. I find it useless. It never understands me, and I don't have a non-american accent.

But all the features you mentioned work very nice. This system is a technological marvel. Very well coordinated from front to back.

Last edited by looknow12; 02-16-04 at 10:13 AM.