GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Love my GX470!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-04, 07:59 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Love my GX470!

I came to this forum as well as several others when researching my vehicle purchase. I always see lots of complaints (no matter which truck I was looking at or which board). So I just wanted to give my experiences after having the GX470 for 2 months now. I bought an '04 GX, black with dark gray interior, the 9700B model with the GVWR 6150, built in October.

For reference, I currently have an '02 BMW X5 and have owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee as far as SUVs and just turned in a BMW 525i. And I live in NC, so we just got about 5 inches of snow this weekend.

The GX has been wonderful so far. Lots of room, especially given its small footprint. The footprint isn't much bigger than my X5 in the garage, but has tons of room. The ride is smooth and comfortable, but the handling is spot on. It doesn't have that boat-like quality that I experienced with the Volvo. It's also much more lush than the MDX. The MDX was fine, but it was that typical boring Honda drive, steady and good, but nothing to write home about. The fit and finish of the interior is excellent, very classy, makes my BMW look very spartan and cheap.

Pros/Favorite features:
1) The adjustable suspension settings. I can do Sport mode for a little more fun or I can go Comfort for a nice plush ride. Really does make a noticeable difference.
2) Real 4wd ability. Has been a real champ in the snow and ice.
3) Nav system. Very easy to use and intuitive. The BMW Nav is a nightmare, prohibitively complex.
4) Overall ride/handling/noise. Very quiet (only high speed/high wind noise at extremes of either), ride is smooth and confident, a great balance between the sportier X5 and the boat like Volvo.
5) ML audio system is booming! Great sound, best stock bass I've heard. Note: You gotta crank it up to really hear this system at its best (it does not sound as good at very low levels, but turn it up and she really blossoms).
6) "Barn door". Contrary to popular opinion, I like it. It's easier to close without reaching over head.
7) Styling. Always a personal taste, but to me this is the best looking SUV I've ever seen. Of course, I like the tall muscular stance, some people hate it. I thought about the Touareg, but my neighbor bought one, and I watched him pull out this morning and it just looked a little station wagon-esque (not that there's anthing wrong with that )
8) Third row A/C. It really helps cool the truck down and I like having it back there for my dogs, especially on long trips to the beach. My wife was always worrying about them getting too hot back there. With the Huper Optik window tint and the rear A/C, they're living large.

Cons/Improvements:
1) Wish the bottom seat cushions were an inch or two longer under my thigh.
2) Wish the cargo window powered down to hang long items out the back (for the once a year I want to carry a long ladder or buy a piece of wood at Home Depot).
3) Wish the rear/3rd row A/C did heat as well.
4) Wish they'd gone ahead and added XM satellite into the audio system
5) Wish they'd let the adjustable height control lower more than just an inch (to make it easier for the dogs to climb in and out).
6) Arm rests could be a hair bigger.
7) Gas mileage is to be expected with this silky smooth V8, I'd LOVE to see a hybrid GX470. I'd be first in line to buy that one!

Suggestions for new buyers:
The Huper Optik ceramic window tint turned out to be awesome. Had them do it all around including the driver and passenger windows. Really gives it a super sleek look and keeps it so much cooler, esp. if you get the dark leather like I did.
Mine came with the Bridgestone Duelers. Others have said Michelin Cross Terrains are much better if you can negotiate with your dealer for them. I haven't had any problems with the Bridgestones and don't know if I could tell the difference in a blind test, but may be worth something to negotiate if you get stonewalled on price.
I like the rear A/C, no one is ever going to ride in the 3rd row so I removed the seats and they're in a closet. But it's nice to have them just in case and to me the rear A/C and the resale value was worth it. Plus you need the rear seats if you want the GVWR tax break.
Old 02-16-04, 03:01 PM
powersofal
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Glad you do - I do too!!!

Glad you enjoy your GX also...

How many miles do you have on yours so far?

Mine has been driven only weekends - will be driving it more in April when I give my older car to my daughter.

This is the 3rd Lexus - 2 of them great - one of them terrible.

I hope this second great one of mine (GX 470) stays that way.

Good luck withy ours!!!
Old 02-17-04, 05:40 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Thanks! I'm hitting 5k miles this weekend, time for the service visit. My wife just said this morning how much she loves this truck. The lease will be up on our BMW X5 at the end of the year. It's going to be tough to pick something to go with the GX. We may just look real goofy with two of them. Maybe one black and one gold, since I went to Wake Forest, school spirit.
Old 02-17-04, 01:38 PM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, I am glad to hear someone likes their GX. I have gotten the impression that these are very unreliable from this board. If their are issues I would like to hear them, are they major or just minor like squeeks etc.. I am again considering the GX as the used LX's did not satisify me.
Old 02-17-04, 06:38 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Yep, I love my GX. This board can become a real whining festival. Some of the things are legitimate, some I believe are nitpicks that people have made into something. I think the clunk is legitimate, we've felt it twice in 5k miles, but I can understand if it was an everytime thing. I think the vibration is blown way out of proportion. But none of the problems to me make the GX unreliable. To me, unreliable means a car that I'm always worried about breaking down. I have never heard of any GX problems that caused it to be a safety problem or to leave anyone stranded. But other people have different definitions. Also, if you'll read boards for just about any other luxury car or SUV, you'll hear lots of complaining too. Luckily, I had a friend with a GX and was able to ask him about all of this stuff. He is totally happy with his also.

My advice is to read up on all of the complaints, and then ask some owners who don't come to this forum. I think internet forums select out the people who are having problems and looking for help. Other people are out driving. Just my opinion.
Old 02-18-04, 06:04 AM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like my GX also. There are minor nitpicks about the vehicle I have, but nothing that prevented me from buying it. Over 9000 miles on it at this point, with a couple 8 hour drives done in it, and am happy with the truck. Only time will tell about the reliability. I tend to drive my cars until only a junk dealer will take them. The last 2 vehicles I got rid of went to the scrap heap with over 130,000 miles on them and no major investments except for tires, breaks, and regular maintenance. My Mits 3000 has over 75K on it without any major bills.

Remember most people post to message boards for the following (in no particular order):

- Complain
- Find out if anyone else is seeing their problem and has a solution
- Trade information (example: exhaust tips, DVD override)

I read through a lot of message boards about different items I am interested in for the above. Rarely is it to rave about a product, there is only so much you can do about that and no product I have ever found is perfect. This is just human nature.
Old 02-18-04, 01:34 PM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is Huper Optik ceramic window tint vs. regular window tint? Any pictures that demonstrate the difference?

Last edited by kutscher; 02-18-04 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-18-04, 01:45 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Default dunno

I'm definitely no window tint expert. I was told it's ceramic instead of metallic, which I suppose is better for some reason, but I don't know what. Huper Optik is the brand, German I guess. I like it, that's for sure, keeps it very cool, cuts down on a lot of glare, and looks sweet to boot.
Old 02-18-04, 02:40 PM
LEXUS4NZ
Driver School Candidate

Got my 04 GX for almost a month. Just pass the 1000mile. A couple of minor issues.

1) The robber ring of the headlight did not install correctly. An easy fix, and
2) The break paddle (not the break pad) sometimes feel a little loose (dealer was not able to FEEL it when were doing the 1000mile service).

We Love our GX! Handling is great when you set the suspension to sport II

Yes, the vibration is there when the speed needle point to between 1700 ~ 2000. But you don't feel it unless you pay attention to it.

And it's running 19+ mpg so far. About the same my friend's RX300