GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Anyone have vibration problems with '04 with KDSS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-04, 09:45 AM
shenard
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have vibration problems with '04 with KDSS?

I have a fully loaded GX (minus KDSS) on order but after doing more research I am frightened to learn that so many people are having so many problems with them and Lexus cannot seem to solve the problem. I find this strange because my parents have been buying Lexus cars since 1990 and have never had any problems with any of the 5 cars they have purchased that Lexus was not able to fix right away.

Does anyone know if Lexus has found a solution yet to the vibration and if they have incorporated this into the assembly line for new models from today's date forward?

Last edited by shenard; 01-08-04 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-08-04, 11:55 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vibration

There are only a few '04s around the club so far, and if you read the posts in the "vibration" threads I think you will find that some of the vibration complaints may have been a little exaggerated. Based on some of the descriptions given I could argue that my GS is still experiencing vibration. I think, unfortunately the wood steering wheel tends to transmit more feel than say a leather wrapped wheel.

I am not disputing the claims that there is an issue, I just haven't gotten a really solid understanding of what other people's definition of vibration is. I think you will find, that disparity in definitions is what (not all) but most of the hype is about.
Old 01-08-04, 01:22 PM
johnvu
Driver School Candidate

I picked up a 2004 GX a couple of weeks ago and put almost 1K miles on it already. It doesn't have KDSS.

I was sweating for a little while because of all the vibration and clunking threads I read. I haven't experienced any of those issues.
Old 01-09-04, 09:46 AM
177mph
Pole Position

Default More vibration...

Since you asked and since I was one of the first to discuss it - the "vibration" is more of a harmonic thrum than a true vibration. As discussed when slightly on the gas at a certain RPM there is a noticable "thrumming" thru the gas pedal and steering wheel.
It wouldnt be a big problem except that it's experienced most often when you are maintaining speed on a highway. Most of us do that quite often. After a while it gets bothersome and it really doesnt belong in a Lexus (or even a toyota).
It also makes the truck feel like it's harsh when you want to accelerate slightly to pass a car. So then you tend to avoid doing that because it's bothersome on a 4 hour trip. So is this a BIG deal? No. Is it bothersome? Yes. and should it be there in the first place - Probably not since a good NVH engineer should notice it right away. Why they dont is a mystery to me.

177mph
Old 01-10-04, 04:29 PM
kph3
Driver School Candidate

I have a loaded 04 with KDSS with @1,200 miles on it already. I have experienced no vibration or other problems to date.
Old 01-11-04, 05:30 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by kph3
I have a loaded 04 with KDSS with @1,200 miles on it already. I have experienced no vibration or other problems to date.
You have it you just don't realize it I have it but never knew it
Old 01-11-04, 07:11 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

I think I've figured the vibration out...it is the center diff (aka transfer case). Try this, the minute you feel the "vibration" (it really isnt a vibration at all; it is more a very low frequency hum that oscillates). Anyway, the minute you feel the "vibration" (that is the wrong word..low frequency hum ) in the wheel, grab the handle to the center diff..they are in phase.

for what its worth, ive felt it once when the truck was with less than a 100 miles on it.

Last edited by tetra7; 01-11-04 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-12-04, 09:54 AM
shenard
Driver School Candidate

KPH and Tetra,

Do you guys, honestly, really notice a big difference in the way the GX handles (body roll and cornering) from having the KDSS?
Old 01-12-04, 12:42 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

tetra
the 4x4 shift **** is to shift the transfer case from 4hi/AWD to 4lo, the button on the dash locks the center diff turning the awd with vsc to a true 50/50 front to rear 4x4 system, now with the diff locked it can't send power to wheels with traction cause VSC is disabled.

Now when owners or soon to be buying are posting on the board wanting to know about the vibration they are probably thinking the wheel is vibrating at the point where my watch is shacking down my wrist and I have to slow down cause I can't hold the wheel, not so their is a so called feeling in the wheel that is similar to other vehicles, it's normal and Lexus buying back any of these trucks is just their good will to satisfy customers.

Why did Lexus change the suspension
Old 01-12-04, 04:58 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Edge...come on give me a little more credit than that . I am familiar with 4x4 systems and have driven SUVs way before they became a yuppie status symbol (man this is ironic owning a Lexus now) Anyway, the osciallation these guys are talking about IMO (READ IN MY OPINION) are related to the Torsen differential. Nornally the shift lever for the 4x4 is connected to the transfer case. For the GX, there really isn't the traditional transfer case but the inline Torsen differential. In all my previous 4x4s, you could feel the transaxle vibrate through the 4x4 shift lever by placing your hand on it. You can't do that with the Yota because of that cheesy (IMO) switch. I accidentally got lucky by having my hands on the 4x4 lever when I felt the osciallation. Therefore, I am guessing the Torsen is redirecting the power fore and aft as it is supposed to do; the way I see it, feel the rumble..the Torsen is doing its job. If it breaks..thats why you have a warranty...c'est la vie..its a truck..use it

To comment on the other question, yes I can feel the KDSS. That is one reason why I waited so long to pick up my truck. Out in Austin, you can really feel the gusts of wind which will really cause the truck to sway (sometimes into oncoming traffic). With the KDSS, the truck self-corrects itself by resisting the wind. At first it was really wicked because I wasn't used to it. Now, I wouldnt trade it. Btw, KDSS does NOT smooth out the ride chatter; it just helps with uneven terrain, slopes and to my surprise wind gusts. So, yes i recommend it..is it worth all the other crap you have to upgrade to get it..your call.

Btw, did you guys know the trucks can wade 28 inches of water (in high mode)? It is in your owners manual. Also, I find it very interesting how the transaxle bolts need to be retorqued at every service interval. There must be a hell of a lot of stress on the transaxle caused by the Torsen. Give Lexus another generation of vehicles (aka replacement for the Landcruiser w/ all the really hot goodies) and that will be one bomb proof vehicle!

Anyway, I ramble..guess I should really hit the gym..worked on the truck and put 4 coats of Zaino on it and found lots of annoying scratches and dings for a 4 week old truck...oh well, guess its officially the daily driver.
Old 01-12-04, 05:01 PM
shenard
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by EDGE2
tetra
the 4x4 shift **** is to shift the transfer case from 4hi/AWD to 4lo, the button on the dash locks the center diff turning the awd with vsc to a true 50/50 front to rear 4x4 system, now with the diff locked it can't send power to wheels with traction cause VSC is disabled.

Now when owners or soon to be buying are posting on the board wanting to know about the vibration they are probably thinking the wheel is vibrating at the point where my watch is shacking down my wrist and I have to slow down cause I can't hold the wheel, not so their is a so called feeling in the wheel that is similar to other vehicles, it's normal and Lexus buying back any of these trucks is just their good will to satisfy customers.

Why did Lexus change the suspension

Edge,

I am aware that it is just a light vibration in the wheel, but I was just wondering if the KDDS suspension did anything to help this. I still have mine on order and should hopefully be picking it up within a month. Lexus should make more of these vehicles.
Old 01-12-04, 09:33 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

tetra
hehe my bad
Old 01-14-04, 03:28 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by shenard
Edge,

I am aware that it is just a light vibration in the wheel, but I was just wondering if the KDDS suspension did anything to help this. I still have mine on order and should hopefully be picking it up within a month. Lexus should make more of these vehicles.
kdds was not a solution to the vibration problem ... kdds prevents sway
the change of suspension on the new one was due to teh bottoming out of the truck on small bumps
Old 01-14-04, 04:32 PM
brent0226
Driver

Originally posted by tetra7
Therefore, I am guessing the Torsen is redirecting the power fore and aft as it is supposed to do; the way I see it, feel the rumble..the Torsen is doing its job. If it breaks..thats why you have a warranty...c'est la vie..its a truck..use it
I wouldn't disagree that it may be caused by the Torsen diff, because it very well may be. But, I don't think it's a result of it transferring power, because the "thrumming" appears at the same RPM/Speed regardless of traction situations.

(BTW I think your description of the "vibration" is much more accurate than the traditional "vibration" designation. When I first felt it, my first thought was a harmonic resonance or something.)
Old 01-14-04, 05:29 PM
bobemac
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down KDSS ??

Wow, Tetra I can hardly believe your dramatic descriptions of how the GX sways in the wind.

I've been driving my un KDSS GX for over a year, and I'm in Austin right now, I live in Texas. I've never
experienced what you are talking about. However, I owned an MDX for two years, and a 4Runner for three.
They had more sway. I chose a 2004 without KDSS, and I love the way it handles on a windy day on IH35
between Austin and SA.

Quick Reply: Anyone have vibration problems with '04 with KDSS?