GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX towing debut

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-03, 12:54 PM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX towing debut

Finally, I get to test out my weight carrying tow hitch which I instaled by myself few months ago ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=97402 )

Mounting the trailer on the ball was a breeze. All I need to do is adjust the ride height to low, back up to the trailer, then raise the height to high, and it will pick up the trailer. All was left to do is to secure the trailer, and retract the stand. I don't even need to use the hand crank jack on my trailer. Which can be really stiff specially when there is a car on the trailer.

While towing, I can really feel the weight on the back since the car and trailer weigh about 4200lbs. but the GX still accelerated briskly off the stop lights. Braking requre a little more distance and more pedal pressure to bring it to a halt since the trailer dose not have brakes.

I towed my car up to Rosamond, CA which you have to take CA 14 north from LA. It consist of a good climb up the mountain then it plateau and then down hill to a flat land. The GX didn't have any problem towing even at 70-75mph up the hill. It just down shifted to 4th gear, and lands the RPM at 3200 (with the torque converter locked) which is 200 shy of the torque peak. Gusty cross winds dose not upset the GX too much even at 70mph but I still slowed down to 60mph just to be on the safe side.

The ride was still smooth as silk even when towing but I do get a little vibration coming from the trailer. All in all, I was really impressed with how the GX performed. The MPG observed was about 10.2mpg after a 400mile double round trip. Should have left the trailer at the track

Ong last thing I noticed. The cruise control dose not work when you shift to 3. D and 4 the cruise will remain on but it will turn off when in 3.

Charleston

03 GX470
02 Odyssey EXL
99 Civic EX
91 CRX Si
Attached Thumbnails GX towing debut-117_1702s.jpg  

Last edited by CivicFerio; 12-17-03 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-16-03, 12:54 PM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

front view
Attached Thumbnails GX towing debut-117_1703s.jpg  
Old 12-16-03, 12:55 PM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

the hitch
Attached Thumbnails GX towing debut-117_1704s.jpg  
Old 12-16-03, 03:13 PM
Triplenet
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the great tip on using the rear ride height adjustment. I now don't feel it is a kind of useless feature. I won't have a chance to tow my boat until spring with my '04. The picture of the trailer hooked up to your hitch gave me a shiver and long for a chrome bumper! I guess no more braille system of hookung up.

Thanks again,

Bob
Old 12-17-03, 10:52 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are judging your MPG based on the LED readout, try resetting the odometer after filling up, and then dividing by the number of gallons you use during your next fill up.

I think the MPG Display is high by about 2-3mpg
Old 12-17-03, 11:54 AM
Cessna172
Driver

Originally posted by looknow12
If you are judging your MPG based on the LED readout, try resetting the odometer after filling up, and then dividing by the number of gallons you use during your next fill up.

I think the MPG Display is high by about 2-3mpg
Yeah, but that method isn't completely accurate either. As it depends on when the pump thinks your tank is full and stops. I can usually put in another 2 gallons if I top off after the pump thinks my tank is full.

Last edited by Cessna172; 12-17-03 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-17-03, 01:57 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Here is another interesting fact about computing MPG. A few weeks ago I did an experiment. I filled the tank up until the pump stopped. After that I topped it off until the gas level was right at the enterance.

Well it took another 2 gallons but the really interesting thing is that in the manual it says it is a 23 Gal. tank, but the needle was halfway past the empty mark and it took 23.3 gallons. I also know the needle will completely clear the empty line before running out of gas so it still had at least .25 to .5 of a gallon left. So actually the tank will hold 23.5 to 23.75 Gallons, which again plays into the MPG formula.

So my final conclusion is that the reading on the dash is probably more accurate than it gets credit for after you factor in the extra gas that can be put in after the pump stops and the extra .25 to .5 gal. the tank will hold beyond what the manual says.

Just a theory....

Last edited by Cessna172; 12-17-03 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-17-03, 03:44 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write up Civic and I think it's much be hard to drive it with another 4000 lbs up the mountain and cross wind. People probably think WTF to see the GX towing the trailer and the car, you suppose to drive Lexus to the mall...
Old 12-17-03, 04:32 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

CivicFerio
whats done to the honda, and from the back it looks like an Accord and from the front it looks like a Civic, I see you like Silver if you want more power get the SC

Cessna172
you never stalled your truck out going that low, lowest I ever went was probably within 4 gallons still left in the tank, what does the range say

I've heard that a gallon of gas is not actually a gallon so that could be the reason you can get more in their although if you ever have fuel pump problems, it probably from running so low that the gas is not their to cool it, but thats what I've been told.

I once drove to SC, Myrtle Beach and stopped to get gas and was on empty, tank takes 21.1 gallons and they put in 35 I gave them 5 bucks and left but made sure to return their on the way back
Old 12-17-03, 05:03 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Originally posted by EDGE2
CivicFerio
whats done to the honda, and from the back it looks like an Accord and from the front it looks like a Civic, I see you like Silver if you want more power get the SC

Cessna172
you never stalled your truck out going that low, lowest I ever went was probably within 4 gallons still left in the tank, what does the range say

I've heard that a gallon of gas is not actually a gallon so that could be the reason you can get more in their although if you ever have fuel pump problems, it probably from running so low that the gas is not their to cool it, but thats what I've been told.

I once drove to SC, Myrtle Beach and stopped to get gas and was on empty, tank takes 21.1 gallons and they put in 35 I gave them 5 bucks and left but made sure to return their on the way back
No, no problems, however I do not do that as a habit. I did that only as a experiment. I do normally top off though.

I usually fill up as soon as the fuel light comes on.

Cheers
Old 12-18-03, 07:24 AM
closenough
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default MPG

It really doesn't matter how much gas you can fit into the tank. What is important is that you fill it back up to where you had it filled before. The gallons you are trying to measure are the ones that you just used on the trip, not how many the tank holds in total. In the long run, all miles driven/all gallons puchased (assuming full tanks all the time) is the most accurate measure of MPG. I also don't agree with the Lexus computer, it seems to be optimistic. I always fill up to the automatic stop and keep track of miles and gallons. My overall MPG is about 2-3 mpg less that the computer says.
Old 08-24-04, 04:48 PM
etexmatt
Driver School Candidate

Question tire pressure while towing

Question re towing your car and trailer (weight = 4200 lbs). What air pressure do you use in GX 470 tires
while towing? Also, if you increase the psi, is front psi = rear psi?)
Old 08-25-04, 01:43 PM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

Hello

I didn't change my tire pressures when I was towing since the rear tires dosen't seem to be flatting out on the bottom. Though higher pressures might keep the rear more stable, I haven't got a chance to experiment with it yet. I will be towing from LA to Vegas this Sept. I'll let you know what happens.

Regards,
Charleston