GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear Axle Whine

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-03, 07:19 AM
177mph
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Axle Whine

Has anyone experienced a rear axle whine above 70mph? I've noticed a whine while just slightly on the gas above 70mph (maintaining speed). Does the GX have a regular ring and pinion set up or is it a more complicated affair?
Old 12-12-03, 07:53 AM
Cessna172
Driver

Yep, whine here too. Only when lightly on the gas, take foot off gas and whine goes away. Mine can be heard at all speeds though. Especially in the mornings

I also notice the tranny doesn't like really cold weather either. In the mornings or afternoons (if it has sat all day) the transmission lags and then jerks into 1st gear from reverse. It also does not shift real smooth either when cold. By cold I mean OAT of 40 degrees and below. I think this tranny would benefit from synthetic fluids.

All the demons in my GX comes out in cold weather or are more pronounced. It really sucks especially since I take it to the mountains almost weekly where it's normally 20 degrees or colder in the mornings.

Lexus did a shotty job at best on the GX.
Old 12-12-03, 08:07 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

i don't think mine has any whining sounds. only the clunk is my biggest problem and rattling cladding.
Old 12-13-03, 06:20 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This sounds like the vehicle drivelive vibration everyone has been talking about. Curious that you think, or describe it as rear axle whine. What makes you think so? I don't disagree or anything but wondered why you feel that way.

As cessna says, you must be on the gas to hear it. But maintaining vehicle speed on a flat road surface sets up about 10% throttle and the perfect conditions for this whining on and off noise. I notice it at around 55-80, mostly around 75-78mph.
Old 12-14-03, 12:20 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Rx900
i don't think mine has any whining sounds. only the clunk is my biggest problem and rattling cladding.
Go to the AutoZone or the likes get a grease gun and get under the truck and grease the zerks and the slip yolk, fill it up seems that once the yotatech guys do that the problem vanishes, or take it to the dealer or an oil change place and have then grease the drive shafts
Old 12-14-03, 12:37 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Cessna172
Yep, whine here too. Only when lightly on the gas, take foot off gas and whine goes away. Mine can be heard at all speeds though. Especially in the mornings

I also notice the tranny doesn't like really cold weather either. In the mornings or afternoons (if it has sat all day) the transmission lags and then jerks into 1st gear from reverse. It also does not shift real smooth either when cold. By cold I mean OAT of 40 degrees and below. I think this tranny would benefit from synthetic fluids.

All the demons in my GX comes out in cold weather or are more pronounced. It really sucks especially since I take it to the mountains almost weekly where it's normally 20 degrees or colder in the mornings.

Lexus did a shotty job at best on the GX.
The whining could be a rear diff about to go out if it slowly gets louder and then the rear locks up thats your problem but that would only happen once the warranty runs out, have you taken it back to lexus maybe the rear apple is under filled and the gears are not getting the proper amount of lub.

The Tranny does not like cold especially the temps you mention, if you slept outside in 40 below could you wake up and run a mile, letting it warm up will alleviate the problems, not shifting, slow shifts when cold is a common problem among all vehicles, the fluid has to warm up to flow, put a quart of trans fluid in the freezer over night and then compare it to a quart your left on the table, it's like molasses

If you want Synthetic Trans Fluid, Amsoil meets all of Toyotas requirements don't use Mobil 1 or anything else it will just shift harder
Old 12-14-03, 02:12 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I doubt it's the rear axle, is it under you and more like a hum, then thats probably normal mine did it a little when new then stopped, both my Pathfinders hummed when in 4wd.

With the radio on I could not hear it
Old 12-17-03, 01:42 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Originally posted by EDGE2
I doubt it's the rear axle, is it under you and more like a hum, then thats probably normal mine did it a little when new then stopped, both my Pathfinders hummed when in 4wd.

With the radio on I could not hear it
Yeah, to be honest I couldn't tell exactly where the whine is coming from, but it is there somewhere. Oh and it isn't a hum, it is a high pitched whine. Ever been next to a cheap pickup with your windows rolled down and when the pickup is on the gas you here the driveline whining, well it sounds like that but not that loud. While it isn't that loud, it is very annoying especially on longer highway trips.

Again something I find myself repeating too often for a 50K Lexus.... This thing was released a year too early and without the proper R&D.

And again just my .02 or is it more like my 50K.
Old 01-12-04, 06:57 AM
177mph
Pole Position

Dear edge,

I can understand a Pathfinder having rear axle whine but not a lexus. (actually the pathfinder shouldnt have it either!!). This is not a hum or a vibration and has nothing to do with the transmisssion, greasng up the yokes or adding lube anywhere. Im amazed at the limited amount of automotive knowledge on this board (sorry guys - not looking to flame anyone). This rear axle whine is from the rear axle and sounds most like a set of ring and pinion gears set up incorrectly. As I said before - I dont know what type of rear the GX has and that's what I wanted to know. Is the torsen a ring and pinion set up?
Old 01-12-04, 01:20 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Thank you 177 the dear was sincere Im gonna say it's not your rear it is the front, almost at the same time this thread was started a 4Runner owner started a thread on yotatech.com about the same problem, he had the whine at above 80mph, at 1st the dealer refused to test drive his vehicle at that speed but he drove it with a tech who noticed/heard the problem and they have not fixed it.

His solution was/is to vandalize the dealership that sold him the truck.

Has your dealer recognized the problem or refused to test it at that speed, which you would have to drive then with a tech, I did take my truck up to 85 and held it their with no radio and windows closed had no noise.

You can always take it to another dealer
Old 01-13-04, 09:44 AM
177mph
Pole Position

I tried my dealer. No luck. I also noted the vibration and the kick in the back when letting off the brake. Their response was (no problem could be found)...I dont know if another dealer would be any better though...
Old 01-15-04, 07:49 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "kick in the back when letting off the brake" is an easy fix. Mine was fixed a few month ago. Also read other members got this problem fixed. You should try other dealers.

About the vibration, I noticed vibration from the floor when I turned the wheel about 180 degree (0.5 turn) and applied gas. Have you guys experienced this?
Old 10-01-04, 10:21 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now this is what I want on my next car

http://www.bose.com/learning/project..._challenge.jsp

~ Cap
Old 10-16-04, 12:10 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Capirato
Now this is what I want on my next car

http://www.bose.com/learning/project..._challenge.jsp

~ Cap
More info on Bose Suspension on Lexus.

http://newsletter.edmunds.com/cgi-bi...PrK0G6R03Gs0Af

~ Cap
Old 02-23-12, 05:04 PM
stuhrw
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Thank you 177 the dear was sincere Im gonna say it's not your rear it is the front, almost at the same time this thread was started a 4Runner owner started a thread on yotatech.com about the same problem, he had the whine at above 80mph, at 1st the dealer refused to test drive his vehicle at that speed but he drove it with a tech who noticed/heard the problem and they have not fixed it.

His solution was/is to vandalize the dealership that sold him the truck.

Has your dealer recognized the problem or refused to test it at that speed, which you would have to drive then with a tech, I did take my truck up to 85 and held it their with no radio and windows closed had no noise.

You can always take it to another dealer
I know this is an old post but it's the closest one I could find to describing the issue I'm having. I'm a new Lexus owner and have a 2007 GX470. Besides the fuel mileage, I love the truck. However, at highway speeds (50 - 75 mph) it does have a "whining" sound but only when I let OFF of the accelerator AND going downhill. It doesn't have to be a steep grade either. Just a bit of a decline and the whine sets in as soon as I lift. It is the loudest at 60 mph, slightly noticeable at 50 and 75 mph. It seems to be coming from the front end.

The noise doesn't seem to be abnormal as it is fairly quiet and I just chalked it up to being a 4 wheel drive truck. It's not going to be as quiet as GS or ES. Plus, I do have a set of AT tires on it, which do groan as I'm rolling, but I am 100% sure that the whining sound is something in the drivetrain. Just need to know if others experience this and if its normal or not.

Any help would be great. Thanks all! -Will

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Whine