GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clicking noise when hill start assist is engaged

Old 11-25-03, 10:48 PM
plee542
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clicking noise when hill start assist is engaged

I recently got the GX and noticed a clicking noise from the brakes when hill start assist was engaged. I asked my local lexus dealer look into this and was told that this was a normal sound from the anti lock brakes when the vehicle is rolling back. I'm a little skeptical that a clicking noise from a LUV like this is normal because it sounds like something broken when it is engaged.
Can anyone confirm this?
Old 11-26-03, 05:31 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

I haven't used this, but I've heard it described in reviews. I think the Petersen's 4x4 of the year article (which the GX won) said the DAC made a loud ratcheting sound, and I do believe this is normal. Perhaps not optimal, but not defective.
Old 11-26-03, 07:00 AM
lexurious
Driver School Candidate

I have had this issue and it is a ratcheting noise. It occurs quite frequently with me because I go up a hill and then come to a complete stop and have to back up a bit to pull into my mother-in-law's driveway. When the Lexus corporate tech came to inspect my vibration, I asked him about it and demonstrated the noise to him on a hill. He advised me that this was a normal noise of the hill assist engaging. Therefore, although it does sound like something is breaking and the noise cna be alarming, according to the Lexus corporate tech, it is normal? Hope this helps and Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-26-03, 07:28 AM
brent0226
Driver

Have you ever felt the ABS pump when panic stopping? It sort of sounds like a grinding noise... I'm sure that's what you're hearing.
Old 11-26-03, 08:01 AM
Cessna172
Driver

I have always felt that the GX was released a year too early and some of its "advanced systems" like DAC & Hill Assist are very rudimentary and not very refined.

For example, the Hill Assist, In my mind it should apply the brakes and hold them and not allow ANY roll back until you step on the gas pedal, instead of letting it roll back a bit then kind of applying the brakes while making a god awful noise and then not even fully stopping the vehicle. It is especially bad when on a really steep hill like some in San Francisco, you would think the damn thing is having an internal conflict with itself.

I also think that DAC would be better served if it worked in high range as that is where most people would use it and not in the low range. Anyone ever try to use DAC in high range even with the shifter in 1st gear going down a steep road? It clicks, bucks, kicks, and screams like you are killing it.

The ABS system is funky too. Ever have to panic stop and then let off the brake slightly and have to reapply the brakes again? The pedal almost goes to the floor and only reapplys the ABS if you really stomp on the pedal.

On top of that you have the driveline vibrations, the driveline cluncking, the inaccurate temp. gauge, squeaking seats, heated seats that suck and don't go up very high on the back (compared to the heated seats in the RX330 which kick *ss and actually get hot), the 3 recalls issued, etc.

Lexus gets an F on the GX, the rest of their line is good, but somebody missed the boat on the GX.
Old 11-26-03, 08:06 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Cessna,
The DAC in the GX has been praised by all the reviewers as the best on any SUV. I would also have to question your grading system. Sure, there are some issues, but none that overshadow the fact that this is a superb vehicle, of course, that's my opinion.
Old 11-26-03, 08:14 AM
Cessna172
Driver

Originally posted by jacksonian
Cessna,
The DAC in the GX has been praised by all the reviewers as the best on any SUV. I would also have to question your grading system. Sure, there are some issues, but none that overshadow the fact that this is a superb vehicle, of course, that's my opinion.
No doubt that it is a great riding vehicle, and the grade is not a reflection of the GX as a whole, more as a grade for Lexus on the release of the GX and the lack us proper R&D.

The DAC has been praised by all the reviewers because it is used in an off-road environment and is designed for off-road. My comment was it would be better served as a on-road feature for steep hills on city streets when in high range on the transfer case conductive of normal driving conditions.
Old 11-26-03, 11:32 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Point well made.
Old 11-26-03, 05:07 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Cessna172
No doubt that it is a great riding vehicle, and the grade is not a reflection of the GX as a whole, more as a grade for Lexus on the release of the GX and the lack us proper R&D.

The DAC has been praised by all the reviewers because it is used in an off-road environment and is designed for off-road. My comment was it would be better served as a on-road feature for steep hills on city streets when in high range on the transfer case conductive of normal driving conditions.
But you need the DAC much more on the dirt, muddy or icy pavement, than you will need on the city streets. I mean no car on the road has this option, I mean car not SUV. My GS don't have DAC and on the steep hill I don't have any problem, but on the dirt road or gravel road that when I feel the pain when my rear tires started to spin and my car sliding back/side way.
Hopefully one day Lexus will put DAC on a car.
I don't think Lexus miss the boat on the GX. It's just the first production year on the vehicle. Just like the first RX300 back in springs 98. The RX had the most TSBs and issue than any Lexus, almost 1 TSB every week for about 6 months and then thing start to slow down. The 98 GS and LS (first year with VVT-i and all the new toys) had 3 recalls in 8 months. The 98 LS &GS got the first recalled on ECM for hesitation and then the GS got another recalled for the door lock actuator.
It is hard to impossible to R&D the car without real world driving experience. They can spend 10 years to designed a perfect vehicle in Toyota City in Japan and test drive it 2 million miles, but when the car arrive in CA..guess what. Totally difference environment, road conditions, traffic, weather, drivers, and more. That when Lexus will send out a team of engineers when they have some complaints to difference part of country and gathering infomations and send them back to Japan.
I think most of us are spoiled. Most of another car manufacturers owners are complaining about their brand new car shut off while driving or a lot of electrical problems or transmission problems, so they don't complaint about sqeak/rattle noises at all. They have so much to worry about their cars than some of us. which is worry about sqeak and rattle or in your case the seat heater is not hot enough on the back side ..comon give me a break.
Old 11-26-03, 07:56 PM
brent0226
Driver

Originally posted by VVT-i They have so much to worry about their cars than some of us. which is worry about sqeak and rattle or in your case the seat heater is not hot enough on the back side ..comon give me a break. [/B]
Give you a break? I'm not sure about you, but most people I know would expect a seat heater to heat the seat in a $53k car. I can't stand it when people make fun of others who complain about a rattle. It is not too much to ask for a car to be damn near perfect when spending that kind of money...
Old 11-26-03, 09:57 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Originally posted by brent0226
Give you a break? I'm not sure about you, but most people I know would expect a seat heater to heat the seat in a $53k car. I can't stand it when people make fun of others who complain about a rattle. It is not too much to ask for a car to be damn near perfect when spending that kind of money...
I agree, who the h*ll do you think you are saying the public shouldn't expect damn near perfection from a 53K LUXURY utility vehicle. One of the most expensive LUV's in it's class SHOULD be held to a higher standard. That is what Lexus is all about and what they preach/market as their reputation.

I find it quite amusing that a few here will (mostly the Mods.) will go out of their way to defend Lexus no matter what is said.

I have no problem admitting that Lexus in general is one of the best out there, but I stand by my opinion that Lexus missed the boat on the GX.

While you may be rich and have a ***** load of money to blow, a majority of us do not and took a lot to get in a LUV and bought into the Lexus reputation which in the GX is a scam.

As a first time Lexus owner, it has not been a positive experience thus far. Would I buy another Lexus and tell my friends to go buy a Lexus even though their other vehicles are good? No, just on principle alone.

Then to top it off Lexus doesn't even fix the issues before they release the 04' with known vibrations and clunking issues.

Seems to me they are turning into the average American Mfg. attitudes. ***** the customer after they have layed down FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS.

Another point, if we as customers don't display our dissatifaction in a shotty product then what will motivate them to improve it?

Answer that for me Mr. VVT-I
Old 11-28-03, 11:06 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by brent0226
I'm not making fun of the people who complaint about their problems. Please read on the maintenance forum and see when someone got some problem with their car I will do whatever its take to help them with their problem or complaint. But complaints about the same thing over and over again is getting old. This thread started with the noise with DAC and it turned out to be normal, but end up with some noises and so on.... the same thing on another thread..
That's why I jumped in and give you guys an idea about the first RX, 98 LS/GS with VVT-i and some little problem they have with the first year modle. To me, I think it's minimum issue, and yes, it's annoying to some of us. But don't hear much about the 99 RX issues, because may be back then CL not exist yet and most of those problems had been taking care off. Internet can be a useful tool, but at the same time it can be dangerous. For example, one guy read about another guy's problem and get into his car and then start to look for the same thing..wow (in his head), I got that's problem too.
What make you think Lexus don't do anything about it? They're trying with the driveline angle, drive shafts, shim the front diff, and so on....But it's hard to isolate the problem because only some GX ( not all) have this problem and some don't. All of the GX came out from the same assembly line with same part, but only some has this issue( vibration, noises...)
Oh, I'm not rich and I don't have money to blow off. I know you guys spend $54K, but can any car out there be perfect....NO, none of them even my GS with some surging from the engine at 45-50 mph uphill( the ECM don't know which gear to shift). Guess what, I don't do 45-50 mph on the uphill, I go 55, the problem sloved....What about the people that spend $120K on the MB are they complaint, yes they do? But then they go out and enjoy the car and some respected along with status from their friends.
I've got this from Bitkahuna and it's make a great sense about Lexus's slogan.." Persuiting perfection" which mean they are not perfect but they're working on it.
Oh, ' Who the h!!l I think I am?, easy anwser. I'm just a guy who enjoy driving my car and don't worry about anything else, but the cops. Why I have to worry when I know I still got 4 years/50 K miles bumper to bumper and 6years/ 72 K miles on the power train. Why don't you guy just wait for Lexus to come up with some thing and then go to the dealer and then get it fix right.
Old 11-28-03, 11:50 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

How about chill out dude? Enjoy the ride.

Last edited by VVT-i; 11-28-03 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-29-03, 12:08 AM
brent0226
Driver

Originally posted by VVT-i
How about chill out dude? Enjoy the ride.
Was that like an afterthought or something?
Old 11-29-03, 06:42 AM
LexFather

We are giving you a break right now. DO not argue openly or be-little moderators here. If u have an issue, take it to PM.

Was that like an afterthought or something?
VVTi has put more info in one post than all the complaining and bickering here in 6 months with facts and data on the why's, what's and how's. He should be thanked for the info.

Thanks VVTi.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clicking noise when hill start assist is engaged