GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

LED D4S Headlights Installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-15, 09:17 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tunedis95
Couldn't see anything? You must be talking about HID's, because the light output is a bright clean white. I have a "5YR Warranty", so I have some time to see how these lights react to being in an enclosed housing. I had a 6hr drive to work the other day and had no issue at all. I do understand we haven't hit summer yet.

If I were you I would order some plug connections, connections like the ones that come on HID kits. Dont take your power from output of your HID ballast, ensure your pulling power from the car's wiring harness going to the HID Ballast. A tip when adjusting beam pattern, try to do this at night or somewhere you can see your beam pattern clearly. Use a Philips to remove the metal clip that holds the bulb in position, adjust the distance of the led base to the actual LED to match the light source of the HID. insert LED with loose adjustment screw and start turning till you get the beam pattern you want pull the bulb out and try not to let anything move or else your through your beam pattern off. Remove LED, re-install light fixture clip then LED. The passenger headlight was a little tricky to clip in place, but i managed to do both sides with my fingers. The clip does hand up on the heat sink when installing but you have to move the clip and led simultaneously and it'll install easily.
Plug connection? You mean the HID harness? Do you know what's the plug that plug into the ballast of the OEM HID?

Do u have more pics of ur setup? I just want to know what I'm getting myself into while waiting for my LED. Did u have to do any baking of the headlight?
Old 05-03-15, 05:13 AM
tunedis95
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can see a pic of the connection in my very first post, that's your 12V power source. If I did it again, I would use the connection picture below. This is from Amazon. I soldered connection to the original wire connections. No baking, this is the normal work involved with changing out an HID ballast in our cars.

Old 05-04-15, 08:07 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

^ thanks. Took your advice and order this connector. Now just waiting for all of them to ship and arrive.

Hopefully this will be just as bright as the HID and I'll never have to change a bulb again. I might just leave the light ON all the time.
Old 05-04-15, 12:06 PM
tunedis95
Pole Position

As stated before, personally I think these are just as bright.

Don't think equipment can't fail, you could install these lights and have a failure the very next day. That's when you go through warranty, and everything will be plug and play. VS a HID ballast failure on our car, you will need break the spot welds on the circuit board ballast, and solder your wires that connect to your ballast from your bulb. I'll shut up. You know what I mean. ha ha
Old 05-06-15, 05:41 PM
tunedis95
Pole Position

Just found these. Argh. This would have been perfect. Just not sure how many LED's are actually on the fixture. Built in driver, heat sink with no moving parts. Darn.

Last edited by tunedis95; 05-06-15 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-06-15, 09:41 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

I'm skeptical with a metal cover one side like that. HID have full expose all sides. It's the housing focuses the light and direct it to the front.

I don't mind a fan if it's reliable as the PC fan.
Old 05-14-15, 01:09 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

OT, but the XenonDepot LED Headlight bulbs use a flexible copper heat sink to dissipate heat - not moving parts, no bulky parts on the back of the bulb. I've tried out several different "D-style" LED headlight bulbs, but I really couldn't justify selling them as replacements to an HID bulb in an HID housing as the light output and pattern was not there yet.

Link to a few reviews:

http://www.xenondepot.com/Reviews-s/60.htm

@BinaryJay - when did you become a mod? Is this a new thing? Congrats either way.
Steve
Old 05-14-15, 01:55 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Link to a few reviews:

http://www.xenondepot.com/Reviews-s/60.htm

@BinaryJay - when did you become a mod? Is this a new thing? Congrats either way.
Steve
Wow, that is a great comparison between all the bulb type. HID still looks great.

That light you link doesn't have D4S size, right?

Last edited by worker; 05-14-15 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-15-15, 07:36 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes - because we don't sell any (as per my post above)
Old 05-16-15, 03:03 AM
tunedis95
Pole Position

ha ha. Xenon depot Rep on here. I called you guys to ask you to make our size fixture, wasn't going to happen. This comparison is with your LED's in particular, other vendors are selling LED's with higher voltage, perhaps this would help offset the light output in your comparison??
Old 05-26-15, 09:21 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Took my time and very carefully install these LED lights. Broke many pins in the process. LOL I am starting to think those pins are anti tampering than actual use. They are so easily broken.

Tunedis95, I said I took your advice and now I see it wasn't good. At least I think your solution is worse than the one I came up with. I use the Terminal pins and shave it. See pic below, as you can see it's very similar to the one on the ballast.

Just shave it off to make it thin and shove it into the connector. I use the aluminum tap uses for heater air duct and tape it to this LED electronic box. Than shove the whole thing into the headlight. LOL

Did you manage to get the HID ballast out in tact without any cutting? I had to cut the wire, the head connect to the bulb is huge and unable to come out cleanly.

Did some driving last night and it is definitely inferior to the HID. It seem to have a lot more foreground light and distant light. I will try to readjust the light position and hope that will help.

BTW, this light does have a fan inside the heatsink grill.
Old 05-26-15, 09:23 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

I hate the crimp thing, so I soldered everything to make sure it make good contact and won't come apart when pull.
Old 05-27-15, 03:41 AM
evolvedgs
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
LED technology really has gone far huh?
Originally Posted by tunedis95
Sure has. I love LEDs, instant light, powerful, compact, it's all I use at home. Floodlights, lamps, flashlights, and will be switching to LEDs for my 240gallon aquarium soon
Hi guys. Great information in this thread but I'm a bit confused.

I have a 2006 GS430; my passenger side headlight bulb went out last night. So currently I'm driving around with a one-eyed MONSTER until I figure out the best route to go. After looking at this thread the installation seems a bit tedious and I kept thinking it is straight-forward. I have a few questions...

1.) Which kind of bulbs comes stock/factory in my GS? HID or LED?

2.) I ordered a pair of these from ebay last night ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Garax-6000K-D4S-Xenon-HID-Bulbs-Lexus-GS430-/380436092415?hash=item5893c215ff&vxp=mtr ... what do you guys think?

3.) What is the difference between the bulbs I ordered and say the stock/factory ones in the GS?

4.) I checked out this youtube video and although the model in the video is the 2008 GS; I figured the install process for my 2006 GS will be the same ... yes or no?

Thanks in advance for any and all help! It is much appreciated.
Old 05-27-15, 07:56 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Goodluck seeing things that are not reflective with that 6000K color.

Yes, our bulb is the D4S size. With HID there is no filament to "burn" so just switch it off and back on will turn the bulb back ON. But it will happen more often until you replace with new bulb. The gas inside the bulb that get old and unable to keep burning.

=======

I am tired of replacing the bulb, which is why I am switching to LED hoping it will last longer.
Old 05-27-15, 10:52 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

I'm not too happy with the temperature, it's too hot for my liking. It's hot enough that putting my finger on the heat sink I had to pull away. Not immediately but hot enough that I can't leave my finger there.

And the light is 360 degree so adjustment won't make any different. I think my driver light aim is a bit too low. Look like I have to remove the headlight again and readjust it's aim height wise. The foreground light is just too much for my liking while the distant light is not enough.

Quick Reply: LED D4S Headlights Installed