GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

LED D4S Headlights Installed

Old 04-28-15, 08:48 AM
xms
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
It does xms, there's folks who had their system go faulty and it looked like the car went cross eyed LMAO!
LMAO I heard that aswell
Old 04-29-15, 05:32 AM
tunedis95
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Requested. Here goes LED fogs and Headlights. Fog light don't have much effect now,except a wider beam. I'm very pleased with the lights. Hope they hold up, these have a 5 yr warranty

Last edited by tunedis95; 04-29-15 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-29-15, 08:31 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It looks like the current state of affairs for low beam LED replacements for HID is not quite there yet being so bulky and requiring active cooling (very undesirable, I would seriously question longevity of this given the fans are going to be in a dirty environment).

That being said it looks like we are on good track to having true plug and play D4S LED replacements for a reasonable price. I doubt true light output is anywhere close to a regular HID 4300K currently as well but it may be good enough for driving in the city where the roads are lit anyway. I would seriously consider switching to LEDs once things mature a bit more. I guess no matter how you cut it you are still looking at a pain in the butt dealing with the ballast power and there is no easy access to bypassing it if you want to be able to ever turn the headlights off.
Old 04-29-15, 09:54 AM
tunedis95
Pole Position

The headlights are in an enclosed unit, so I don't think dirt and conditions of that nature will be a concern. I do agree that the fan is the weakest point with these fixtures. The LEDs in my other vehicle did not have fans or a drivers, they we simply the led bulb and a heat sink ribbon. Very nice

I'm very pleased with the light output, I would even say that they are brighter than my OEM HIDs, that's based off of an opinion and I have not ran any actual test. These LEDs do supposedly draw more power.

Power:45W/bulb X 2= 90W/set

Last edited by tunedis95; 04-29-15 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-29-15, 11:32 AM
LexusLadi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tunedis95
The headlights are in an enclosed unit, so I don't think dirt and conditions of that nature will be a concern. I do agree that the fan is the weakest point with these fixtures. The LEDs in my other vehicle did not have fans or a drivers, they we simply the led bulb and a heat sink ribbon. Very nice

I'm very please with the light output, I would even say that they are brighter than my OEM HIDs, that's based off of an opinion and I have not ran any actual test. These LEDs do supposedly draw more power.

Thanks for the write up! These seem really cool. I was wondering how they would compare to stock HID's in a side-by-side test at night! All you would need is another stock GS...

Seems like a lot of fuss and not really that much of a benefit. Not that I'm knocking what your doing. On the contrary I think it's awesome!
Old 04-29-15, 11:59 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm very pleased with the light output, I would even say that they are brighter than my OEM HIDs, that's based off of an opinion and I have not ran any actual test. These LEDs do supposedly draw more power.

That's A LOT of power lol... Your avg LED bulb is 5-15w, and these are a whopping 45w. I'd agree here that the 45w LEDs are as bright, or brighter than the 35w HIDs.

Originally Posted by LexusLadi
Thanks for the write up! These seem really cool. I was wondering how they would compare to stock HID's in a side-by-side test at night! All you would need is another stock GS...

Seems like a lot of fuss and not really that much of a benefit. Not that I'm knocking what your doing. On the contrary I think it's awesome!
I think you're missing the benefit of LEDs being much much much more reliable than HIDs Ladi . Also, LEDs are more efficient, power-wise than HIDs.
Old 04-30-15, 08:26 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I still don't think LED is getting there yet. Most important to me is the light throw, bright enough and far enough. LED just doesn't have the throw.

I'd love to switch to LED. So tired of replacing the HID bulb.

Last edited by worker; 04-30-15 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-30-15, 08:32 AM
XxGoKoUxX

That youtube doesnt relate to the bulbs tunedis used,they have only 4 leds, he has double that, hes at 45w. Those leds theyre advertisings probably only 20w
Old 04-30-15, 09:29 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

^ I think standard HID is 35Watt. So that LED draw more power than OEM HID?

Anyway, more power means more heat. Not sure that little heat sink is enough for a 40Watt power.

tunedis, can you give us a link to those LEDs? thanks.

I like that youtube because you see how they compare the 3 types. It's not easy to have a test that is fair for all 3 types and get the camera able to capture it.

Last edited by worker; 04-30-15 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-30-15, 11:04 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by worker
^ I think standard HID is 35Watt. So that LED draw more power than OEM HID?

Anyway, more power means more heat. Not sure that little heat sink is enough for a 40Watt power.

tunedis, can you give us a link to those LEDs? thanks.

I like that youtube because you see how they compare the 3 types. It's not easy to have a test that is fair for all 3 types and get the camera able to capture it.
Yup, the LEDs draw more power than the HIDs, and they're brighter too, from OP's understanding.

The youtube is great! It just sucks they can't test multiple sets of LED systems. As just like HID's, there's tons of branded LED kits.
Old 04-30-15, 02:43 PM
tunedis95
Pole Position

LED's were bought through Amazon. Took a really big chance on these and so far i'm pleased.

Amazon.com: SNGL LED Headlight Conversion Kit - Adjustable Focus Length-All Bulb Sizes - 90W 9000LM LUMILEDS LED - Replaces Halogen & HID Bulbs D1(D1R)(D1S)/D2(D2R)(D2S)/D3(D3R)(D3S)/D4(D4R)(D4S): Automotive Amazon.com: SNGL LED Headlight Conversion Kit - Adjustable Focus Length-All Bulb Sizes - 90W 9000LM LUMILEDS LED - Replaces Halogen & HID Bulbs D1(D1R)(D1S)/D2(D2R)(D2S)/D3(D3R)(D3S)/D4(D4R)(D4S): Automotive

This is no reputable name brand from what I can tell, so I don't how true the specs are, and have not conducted any test besides actual field test of the LED's. Mind you, the reason I did this was because I had changed out my ballast and bulb a month prior to this swap and still had failure from the HID set.

This is nothing ground breaking, just an option if you were to ever have to change out HID ballast. You outta check out the Matrix LED headlights from AUDI, LED technology to me has surpassed HID technology. With that being said, there is only so much of that new technology that will make it to different type bulb sizes.

Last edited by tunedis95; 04-30-15 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-01-15, 11:37 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

LED's were bought through Amazon. Took a really big chance on these and so far i'm pleased.

Amazon.com: SNGL LED Headlight Conversion Kit - Adjustable Focus Length-All Bulb Sizes - 90W 9000LM LUMILEDS LED - Replaces Halogen & HID Bulbs D1(D1R)(D1S)/D2(D2R)(D2S)/D3(D3R)(D3S)/D4(D4R)(D4S): Automotive

This is no reputable name brand from what I can tell, so I don't how true the specs are, and have not conducted any test besides actual field test of the LED's. Mind you, the reason I did this was because I had changed out my ballast and bulb a month prior to this swap and still had failure from the HID set.

This is nothing ground breaking, just an option if you were to ever have to change out HID ballast. You outta check out the Matrix LED headlights from AUDI, LED technology to me has surpassed HID technology. With that being said, there is only so much of that new technology that will make it to different type bulb sizes.
thanks. I'll do my homework. I keep replacing my HID bulb, so thinking the ballast could be weak.

Is there a fan inside the bud? Any warranty? I see Amazon said ask the seller. LOL

I've never seen an OEM LED headlight open or otherwise, but from what I gathered the heat is a problem. With HID everything is metal or glass, so less of an issue.
Old 05-01-15, 07:19 PM
tunedis95
Pole Position

I replaced bulbs twice, cleaned them well prior to install each time, and changed out ballast twice. Not so fun soldering and what not. Now if something goes out, it's plug and play. Once they have D4S led's with no driver and a heat sink that does not utilize a fan, I'll be golden. Xenon Depot has these style LED's, but not in our size.It stated that there is a 5 year warranty, but the thing I like about Amazon and Ebay is the fact I can leave feedback, and vendors try to stay true to their product. I've had nothing but great transactions.
Old 05-01-15, 11:10 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

I did a little homework and jump on this. But instead ordering from Amazon, I order from DH. They have color selection instead of just the 6000K color.

http://www.dhgate.com/product/auto-l...218183010.html

I select 4000K color seeing how it's closer to the 4300K of the OEM bulb. I have tried HID 6000K and it was terrible. I couldn't see a thing except for all the reflectors and reflective signs. If the sign is not reflective, I couldn't see it until it's about 10 feet away.

tunedis95, do you leave the cover open? The bulb need ventilation, but leaving the cover open could allow in dust and even humidity that could fog up the headlight.
Old 05-02-15, 06:20 AM
tunedis95
Pole Position

Couldn't see anything? You must be talking about HID's, because the light output is a bright clean white. I have a "5YR Warranty", so I have some time to see how these lights react to being in an enclosed housing. I had a 6hr drive to work the other day and had no issue at all. I do understand we haven't hit summer yet.

If I were you I would order some plug connections, connections like the ones that come on HID kits. Dont take your power from output of your HID ballast, ensure your pulling power from the car's wiring harness going to the HID Ballast. A tip when adjusting beam pattern, try to do this at night or somewhere you can see your beam pattern clearly. Use a Philips to remove the metal clip that holds the bulb in position, adjust the distance of the led base to the actual LED to match the light source of the HID. insert LED with loose adjustment screw and start turning till you get the beam pattern you want pull the bulb out and try not to let anything move or else your through your beam pattern off. Remove LED, re-install light fixture clip then LED. The passenger headlight was a little tricky to clip in place, but i managed to do both sides with my fingers. The clip does hand up on the heat sink when installing but you have to move the clip and led simultaneously and it'll install easily.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED D4S Headlights Installed