GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2013/2014 GS/IS Rear calipers will they fit on 3GS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-15, 07:26 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow 2013/2014 GS/IS Rear calipers will they fit on 3GS?

As the title states, can someone confirm or get measurements for 2013/2014 IS350/GS350 Rear calipers and rotors see if they fit? I would love to do the switch as we all know these calipers on our cars are crap. By the looks of it, it seems like it is a bigger rotor and the brake pads seem to be slightly bigger as it seems it has more contact area then our current brakes. I am also pretty sure it will improve our braking over all, as it will grip the rotor a lot better possibly shorting our braking distance as it will engage better.
Old 04-22-15, 05:29 AM
i8thesun
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had both cars I could do a lot of measuring, take both apart and compare the mounting holes etc. It would be much less effort to just order the caliper and rotor and try it, return it if it doesn't work. If you can get them from Autozone or similar it would be pretty easy to try, but I'm not sure if the caliper mounting brackets would be available there, although they may be the same.

Since I'm new to GS, do these rear brakes wear faster than the fronts? My Land Cruisers always have, and this long, heavy sled seems likely to eat rear brakes. These rears are only single-puck, very well made from my first look, but as you said kind of small.

Last edited by i8thesun; 04-22-15 at 05:32 AM.
Old 04-22-15, 08:58 AM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmm we could just ask one of the 4GS guys to measure the rear calipers for us and someone from 3GS measure our calipers .... other than that i have no other way of doing so.... maybe ask a Lexus tech?
Old 04-22-15, 09:00 AM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by i8thesun
If I had both cars I could do a lot of measuring, take both apart and compare the mounting holes etc. It would be much less effort to just order the caliper and rotor and try it, return it if it doesn't work. If you can get them from Autozone or similar it would be pretty easy to try, but I'm not sure if the caliper mounting brackets would be available there, although they may be the same.

Since I'm new to GS, do these rear brakes wear faster than the fronts? My Land Cruisers always have, and this long, heavy sled seems likely to eat rear brakes. These rears are only single-puck, very well made from my first look, but as you said kind of small.
the 3GS is known to have seized calipers so u might want to check if theyre seized... I knew mines were seized when my pedal went to the floor..... been driving like that for a year or so... i changed them and everythings a bit better... I'm probably ganna end up bleeding all the calipers again because my brake pedal still feels a bit loose.... either that but my front pads look like they have a good amount left
Old 04-22-15, 09:58 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
As the title states, can someone confirm or get measurements for 2013/2014 IS350/GS350 Rear calipers and rotors see if they fit? I would love to do the switch as we all know these calipers on our cars are crap. By the looks of it, it seems like it is a bigger rotor and the brake pads seem to be slightly bigger as it seems it has more contact area then our current brakes. I am also pretty sure it will improve our braking over all, as it will grip the rotor a lot better possibly shorting our braking distance as it will engage better.
It wont fit you may need to replace the dust shield not sure if you need to get anything else obviously the calipers, I mean it should as long as its another AWD.

Here is a pic of the rear caliper and rotor.

Old 04-22-15, 10:14 AM
i8thesun
Rookie

Ha, I was just looking at that same pic and going to post it. The new caliper is dramatically different from ours, looks like the new one is also mounted in front of the hub and ours is behind, so you would need to put the left on the right and so on. Still possible, but I'm much less optimistic after looking at that pic.

Here is my rear brake this weekend, notice the outer frame doesn't exist on ours, the part marked "L 18" on the pic of the newer one. Our pads are held by pins, new ones are held in the outer frame. Totally different hub, not likely you could bolt that structure onto our hub.
Attached Thumbnails 2013/2014 GS/IS Rear calipers will they fit on 3GS?-2015-04-17-22.29.49.jpg  
Old 04-22-15, 02:39 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Our brake calipers look so tiny for such a big car, I am pretty sure rear calipers were the key to getting the new GS stop the way it does and have that awesome brake pad feel ( they also changed the master brake cylinder). Our calipers have this stupid seize pin issue, and honestly I don't even feel like they do much work at all. They wear down usually as fast as the front one's. Someone needs to try this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and give us an DIY. I missed out on a used set of rear calipers and rotors for cheap. I am thinking the brackets should be the same, dust shield might need little modification, and rotors might be bigger on the new GS/IS.
Old 04-22-15, 06:21 PM
i8thesun
Rookie

What is the "seize pin issue"? Do the pads bind on the pins? I might find something harder to replace them with if that is an issue.
Old 04-22-15, 08:49 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by i8thesun
What is the "seize pin issue"? Do the pads bind on the pins? I might find something harder to replace them with if that is an issue.
The slider pins that let the caliper move freely while pressing the brake pedal. Because it is a floating caliper there are pins with lube inside a rubber boot. In you DIY Brake pad change thread, Same place you stuck a toothbrush in, cleaned it and lubed it. That is called a Pin that seized due to lack of lubricant. It is a very common issue with these rear calipers.

Last edited by GS350Lexus; 04-22-15 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-27-19, 04:32 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Revive old thread because my slide pin siezed last week on my 07 GS450h.

The RR caliper totally wore out the inside of the pad and was grinding again the backing plate. I was able to replace the inside pad but could not move the caliper at all so I was able to pull the old outside pad out but couldnt get the new pad in because it is thicker, so I put on a new pad only on the inside that was worn out.

The caliper is so stupidly designed that one slider pin is reached on back of the caliper with a 6pt head, but the other one is covered by the caliper housing and you have to unbolt the first one off the bracket and pull the caliper off the bracket then this exposes the second pin which is a hex head and apparently slides inside the other half of this housing.

OPTIONS:

Go to my friends shop, probably take the brake bracket and caliper out put in a wise and hit it with penetrating spray, torch it, and beat the crap out of it or:

buy a remanufactured caliper for $50

I would rather try to get a better set of calipers (with or without larger rotors) . Currently looking for aftermarket 1 or 2 piston, with or without adapter plates.

Last edited by samsonn25; 08-27-19 at 04:42 AM.