GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Completely ripped off at the Dealership (don't ever do extras in service)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-15, 10:40 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completely ripped off at the Dealership (don't ever do extras in service)

I took my car to get a transmission service, brake service, differential service etc. I am fine with paying the prices for those $150, $55, $35 then I got a call saying that I needed a cabin filter and a engine air filter. I don't think I needed the engine filter since I just did an oil change. Anyway I said go for it (didn't think it cost much).. I got charged $99 for the filter $45 or $60 to put it in.. Then for the air filter, I paid $35 (still too much) and then $15 to install it. What the hell do I have to pay for an install charge? I am not going to ever get anything else done at the dealership that I can't have done at Toyota. Toyota charged $49.99 for the cabin filter and install. The next time I have a reason to get my hands on their loaner car I am going to get some money out of it and take a long trip as fast as I can. Anyone else get jacked around that bad or is that the normal prices you guys pay? I came there expecting to pay $250 or so and I ended up paying $400+
Old 04-16-15, 03:08 AM
Othic
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Why wouldn't you pay for an install charge? They installed it for you.. Did you ask for the pricing beforehand? The advisors at our shop will always give you the pricing upfront.
Old 04-16-15, 03:16 AM
tonysnow1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stealership......not dealership......

I refuse to pay for something i can do myself in 15-20 mins....
Old 04-16-15, 04:31 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

How do you think you get those loaners and other perks? It sure as hell isn't from buying the car from them. You want nice things then you have to pay for them. If not, do it yourself or find another shop. I bet toyota won't give you a loaner and their customer lounge isn't as nice.

People are too funny...they say things about Hyundai and others not being up to par but expect the service to be light years better but at the same price as them or the Ford dealership down the street....smh
Old 04-16-15, 04:33 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

$75 pastry and cup of coffee.
Old 04-16-15, 04:40 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Lol, you can haggle for your service either way.

Gotcha350's right though, you get your super nice loaners and customer lounges, with food to order, snacks on hand, taxi service, massage chairs, etc. etc. for paying those higher prices compared to other dealerships .

Make it a lesson learned and next time ask them if they're willing to work on pricing for you.
Old 04-16-15, 08:01 AM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

first of all....no one...ever...should pay a service dept to put in a new cabin filter or engine air filter. Those are two of the easiest maintenance tasks that you can do. ALL service bills include "labor". A total bill is "part cost" + "labor cost" = customer's bill. So...you learned a lesson.

secondly, there is no way that they did more than a simple "drain and fill" of your transmission fluid for $150. So, what that means to you......it's highly probable that they drained about 3 qt. of the original OEM fluid (which you say has 180k miles on it) but that leaves about 6 qt. of 180k mile OLD fluid still in your transmission. A service with a true flush machine (especially at a Lexus store) would cost you closer to $250...IF they even offer that (my Lexus dealer here won't use flush machine). When I called my local dealer and asked about tranny fluid change...they said we "perform a drain and fill". When I asked how many times......he said, "well...just once". I told him I'd want ALL of the the old fluid out which would require multiple "d&f's" and he said...well....I don't have a price for that....I'd have to work one up and call you. Which, he never did. So...if I were you...I'd verify with them EXACTLY what they did. No way I'd leave that much old fluid in my car.
Old 04-16-15, 09:46 AM
warandcar
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sometimes you need to build a rapport with your service advisor… one time i called one when my SA was off and he gave me a totally different price than the SA that i see on a regular basis. having a rapport like that changes the price dramatically. i do this to make myself feel better that i got the best price along with calling the other lexus dealerships around the area… my SA always beats them by more than 15% and greater...
Old 04-16-15, 10:15 AM
Othic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gr8fulRed
first of all....no one...ever...should pay a service dept to put in a new cabin filter or engine air filter. Those are two of the easiest maintenance tasks that you can do. ALL service bills include "labor". A total bill is "part cost" + "labor cost" = customer's bill. So...you learned a lesson.
Why exactly shouldnt you pay labor to have someone put it in? Most people couldnt even tell you where the a/c filter is. True, it is one of the easiest things to do. That doesnt mean the tech working on the car shouldnt get paid for doing the job that the customer doesnt want or know how to do.
Old 04-16-15, 10:19 AM
warandcar
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats true… people always say they can do it themselves… but obviously it hasn't been done….
Old 04-16-15, 10:48 AM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Othic
Why exactly shouldnt you pay labor to have someone put it in? Most people couldnt even tell you where the a/c filter is. True, it is one of the easiest things to do. That doesnt mean the tech working on the car shouldnt get paid for doing the job that the customer doesnt want or know how to do.
well, if you're not worried about keeping repair/maintenance costs down...then sure..pay someone else to put your air filters in. Clearly, my point is, that job is so simple...one can do it themselves. Certainly one who would complain about the cost (like the OP) would be the person who should heed such advice. As for paying the techs? Of course they need to be paid. I mean, it's pretty obvious that you have to pay others to do things you yourself either don't want to do OR don't have the ability to do. Maids, pool cleaners, plumbers, auto techs...or course they need to be paid for services rendered. Not sure where you got the idea that I suggested otherwise.

Some services are worth paying for and some are not. Changing a cabin filter or engine air filter....are not worth paying someone else to do..WHEN YOU'RE CONCERNED ABOUT THE COST...as the OP clearly was.
Old 04-16-15, 11:40 AM
Othic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gr8fulRed
first of all....no one...ever...should pay a service dept to put in a new cabin filter or engine air filter.
Sorry, I read into that the wrong way. I thought you meant no one should pay to have an air or a/c filter put in. You meant that people shouldnt pay because its easy enough to do it themself.
Old 04-16-15, 11:52 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Since it's built into the major service and I get a discount off when I do I let them do it...all it saves me is the cost of the part so I just let them do it...

When are yall changing this stuff? Randomly or at the recommended service?
Old 04-16-15, 12:06 PM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys realize that the guy who started this OP makes/starts threads for kicks and I feel like any responses made will be irrelevant to the guy. If you ever notice on his profile and see the types of threads he's made, he jumps on 4th gen then hops on 3rd gen and starts threads that are just pointless.

I'm on CL like its a morning newspaper and I read and give input/feedback and stuff but this guy...
Old 04-16-15, 02:21 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by krava
I took my car to get a transmission service, brake service, differential service etc. I am fine with paying the prices for those $150, $55, $35 then I got a call saying that I needed a cabin filter and a engine air filter. I don't think I needed the engine filter since I just did an oil change. Anyway I said go for it (didn't think it cost much).. I got charged $99 for the filter $45 or $60 to put it in.. Then for the air filter, I paid $35 (still too much) and then $15 to install it. What the hell do I have to pay for an install charge? I am not going to ever get anything else done at the dealership that I can't have done at Toyota. Toyota charged $49.99 for the cabin filter and install. The next time I have a reason to get my hands on their loaner car I am going to get some money out of it and take a long trip as fast as I can. Anyone else get jacked around that bad or is that the normal prices you guys pay? I came there expecting to pay $250 or so and I ended up paying $400+
I would think that the anyone who has been driving a Lexus for a fair amount of time and been to their service department at least once would know that the prices are pretty high for everything.

Quick Reply: Completely ripped off at the Dealership (don't ever do extras in service)