GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Completely ripped off at the Dealership (don't ever do extras in service)

Old 04-16-15, 02:33 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First, everyone wants dealers to lose money selling them a car. Now people are balking at paying labor for service. This is the reason why one day dealerships will disappear.
No one goes into Sears and says, give me that lawn mower for 20% OFF OR I WALK. No one goes back to Sears and says, my mower is not running right. Fix it for free.
Geez, what is the world coming to.
Old 04-16-15, 02:34 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

$75 bucks equals to about 30-45 minutes of shop labor. Not saying its worth it for air filters but it seems like a fair charge for time.
Old 04-16-15, 04:44 PM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Othic
Sorry, I read into that the wrong way. I thought you meant no one should pay to have an air or a/c filter put in. You meant that people shouldnt pay because its easy enough to do it themself.
That's a BINGO !!
Old 04-16-15, 05:13 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of the small stuff are usually covered on youtube. U can easily do it yourself.

I think some maintenance is smart to do at the dealer, but alot of it are not.

If u do the right research and look for reputable independent shops, u can save a lot of money and spend the same as u would for a Toyota camry.

U also want to consider the perks u get vs the higher cost of dealer maintenance. Sometimes its worth going to the dealer because a lot of maintenance automatically gives u 2 days of loaner. So if u factor that it, its actually cost effective to do certain things at the dealer. For example, im gonna do my tranny drain at the dealer, thats a major and important piece of info that the next owner will want to see documented.
Old 04-16-15, 06:29 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me address a few things . #1 I post things about the 3GS here which I have and been having since 2009. I jump to 4th gen to ask questions about that particular car. #2 I wasn't trying to compare the dealership to like a DIY thing. Hell most of the time I don't even know how to check the oil correctly. I was comparing the Lexus dealership to a "regular place". I don't know if I can name names in here but I will keep it simple. The Toyota place charges $49.99 for the cabin filter install and all. The air filter I don't know probably $15-20 no install fee. The last time they did my oil they didn't even ask me to replace since it might not have been dirty and that was 3 weeks ago or so. My point in this is that the Lexus dealership is so much more epensive then Toyota and I think they completely ripped me off. I have Never seen an install fee on any of that. When I got a call from Lexus they said they were done.They asked me about changing out the cabin filter and the engine filter. I wasn't quoted any price at all. I got there and ended up paying $200 more then I was expecting. As for the transmission service, I have to look at the report but I think that guy was right and did 1/2 of it. I believe I saw 3qts somewhere.

I don't have time to "play" on here if I am being accused of it. Here is some proof to back up my story.Also I have been on since 2003 I believe my nick was kravaa (find a pic of headbuster in a black GS 400 2nd gen).

Pic of Bill Part 1 http://picpaste.com/pics/IMG_0187-4n...1429234064.JPG

Pic of Bill Part 2 http://picpaste.com/pics/IMG_0188-aB...1429233920.JPG

Pic of Bill Part 3 http://picpaste.com/pics/IMG_0189-ZZ...1429234157.JPG

Now you can tell me what exactly did they do to the trans?

Last edited by krava; 04-16-15 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-16-15, 07:58 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

What's with all those Misc charges...never seen a cpu fee or any of that other stuff on my invoices.

That's a drain and fill on the transmission...
Old 04-16-15, 08:35 PM
krava
Lead Lap

So they changed it all out? so they did me a favor atleast and gave me a break? I have no idea what those misc charges are too, 1 might be for the waste of the transmission fluid though
Old 04-16-15, 08:38 PM
krava
Lead Lap

I don't know about your lexus dealership but all we have here is a coke machine. No kinds of food at all. The Toyota dealership has the exact same thing at it but you don't get a loaner car. Even Sewell lexus of dallas I don't think gives food, atleast I didn't see it when I was there 3 times. They have diet sprite which we don't have here.
Old 04-16-15, 08:44 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

No...a drain and fill only removes what's in the pan and bottom of transmission...the tc and other passages still have fluid in them.
Old 04-16-15, 08:55 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

I see you are in La...so options are limited...but Price LeBlanc has a pretty nice set up...food, drinks, nice leather chairs, and at one time a few massage chairs...I never wait anymore so I'm not sure if they still do...I don't care for any of the dealerships in Shreveport...they all act like asses to me...
Old 04-16-15, 09:47 PM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tantrix
A lot of the small stuff are usually covered on youtube. U can easily do it yourself.

I think some maintenance is smart to do at the dealer, but alot of it are not.

If u do the right research and look for reputable independent shops, u can save a lot of money and spend the same as u would for a Toyota camry.

U also want to consider the perks u get vs the higher cost of dealer maintenance. Sometimes its worth going to the dealer because a lot of maintenance automatically gives u 2 days of loaner. So if u factor that it, its actually cost effective to do certain things at the dealer. For example, im gonna do my tranny drain at the dealer, thats a major and important piece of info that the next owner will want to see documented.
you may want to inquire as to exactly what they do for that tranny service. one drain and fill ain't gonna feed the bulldog.
Old 04-16-15, 09:59 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

air filters are the easiest thing to save money on.

Lesson learned.

never do any non-critical services at the dealership.

$80 oil change? pfftt. I buy my own oil and pay the local mechanic $10 for labor. I'm in and out faster than at the dealership.

Those nasty pastries and coffee are not worth any extra money.

Last edited by pman6; 04-16-15 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-16-15, 09:59 PM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
What's with all those Misc charges...never seen a cpu fee or any of that other stuff on my invoices.

That's a drain and fill on the transmission...
most new car service departments figure out a way to fleece you one way or another. BS computer maintenance fee??! What a joke. Surprised I didn't see "shop supplies fee" on there. Those are typical here in Okla. What is another bummer here....the guy paid tax on the ENTIRE BILL it seems, including the labor. Shops cannot charge tax on labor in this state....parts only.

The labor for the jobs exceeded the part cost...and...they only got about 1/3 of the old fluid out.
Old 04-16-15, 10:04 PM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Originally Posted by krava
So they changed it all out? so they did me a favor atleast and gave me a break? I have no idea what those misc charges are too, 1 might be for the waste of the transmission fluid though
no..they did not. They removed approximately 3.5 quarts. That's why you had to pay for 4 qts of new fluid. System holds 8.4 qts if RWD and 10.6 if AWD.
Old 12-12-15, 01:48 PM
Jontay
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My recent experience with the transmission service on my very newly purchased 2010 GS350 AWD with100k miles. After reading many of these threads about tranny fluid flushes, maintenance, etc. I decided it was a good time to change the fluid since my intent is to keep the car for probably another 100-150k miles.

So, I just paid 250$ to the local Boise Lexus dealer (Peterson Lexus) for what I thought was going to be a "flush"....at least that was the ONLY terminology that was ever used in any of our prior phone conversations. At NO time did the service writer or myself talk about OR use the term "drain-n-fill".

When I picked the car up, I noticed a quantity of "4" listed on the invoice and I inquired as to what this meant since I felt it was most likely 4 quarts since the unit price was listed on the invoice @ $9.10/ea.
This same service writer and the actual mechanic who performed the work, both INSISTED that the quantity flushed was 4 gallons.......which would be 16 quarts total and that 6 of those quarts used were the quarts that became dirty from the actual "flush" procedure and that the other 10 quarts would have been the amount of new Toyota World Standard fluid that was replaced. Hmmmmmm.

So, I then questioned the invoice unit price of just $9.20 (sum total of $36.80) and told the service writer that this story about what service was performed was all bull**** and that I felt the invoice was actually for 4 quarts that was used and that they had just charged me $250 to "exchange" 4 quarts (ATFWS World Standard) of the 10.6 quart capacity of the transmission. In other words they exchanged 40% of the total tranny fluid.

Just a few moments later, the senior service writer/mgr. walked in to our little office and before anyone could say anything I quickly pointed to the invoice and asked him "what that quantity listed on the invoice represented"? He immediately, without any hesitation, stated the number represented quarts. I asked him if he was sure and he said he was 100% absolutely sure of it and that the drain-n-fill" method is the one they use. Again, this was the senior service writer/service manager saying this and this was in complete conflict with what was stated by the original service writer and the actual service mechanic.

I also told them that I thought I had read somewhere (I thought somewhere in this forum actually) that an actual power flush could ONLY be performed at the dealer due to a special type of too/pump (hence the $250 price) that is attached to the tranny to perform this task. No one there seemed to have any idea of what I was referring to. Does anyone on here have any idea if I did actually read something of this sort or have I misunderstood something?

Bottom line, they only exchanged 4 quarts and charged me $250 and flat out lied to me (and my co-worker witness who was with me) about the invoice, how many quarts had been used, type of work performed, etc.

If it matters.....the dealer also charged me $90 to change the rear differential fluid (3 quarts) and also $90 to change the front differential/transfer case (2 quarts). In both differentials 80W90 was used.

Total bill for all this was $438.17

I like my car and was wanting to protect my investment in it. I've ALWAYS hated dealers and once again I feel my thoughts and opinions about dealers are justified and confirmed....AGAIN!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Completely ripped off at the Dealership (don't ever do extras in service)