GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

High milage Maintence

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-15, 06:12 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High milage Maintence

Seems I am sort of stuck with my 06 gs300 until I have major issues (I still like the car but the interior is having significant signs of wear. My question is this. I take my car to Toyota and they just tell me to do oil changes, and then spark plugs every 100,000 miles. I have 180,000 miles on the car and all I have ever done is oil changes etc. At 140,000 miles I had the carbon buildup issue taken care of where they dropped the engine. I am not sure what else they did, they probably drained transmission fluid, coolant etc. My question is how often do I flush the transmission fluid? How often do I Do a brake fluid flush? I am not a DIY'er at all. Should I get Lexus to do that or go to some like tire and lube place to do that? Also any other preventive maintence should I be doing? I don't want to pay $1000 for lexus 100,000 miles service which I don't think they do much on that service. Right now my care did rev up just a little one time at the light when I had the car stopped to about 1,500 rpm and then went back down. I always make sure break pads are good, tires inflated etc but what else should I be looking out for?
Old 04-08-15, 06:18 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Just follow the maintenance schedule in your owners manual. If you don't have your owners manual then register your car on the Lexus owners website and the maintenance schedule is there for you to follow. You do not have to take your car t0 the Lexus dealer for maintenance. You can take it to an independent shop that works on Toyota/Lexus or an independent ASE Master certified mechanic that works on Toyota/Lexus.
Old 04-09-15, 05:12 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

180,000 miles... that's great! I only have 110,000 miles left to rack up to catch up to you on my old 06 (around 70,000 miles right now). I'll never reach that though... I will probably trade the car after I wear out my current sets of tires (which will take a very long time for us anyway) just because the size and style doesn't really meet my family's needs very well any more.

You still need to do differential fluids as needed, ring job would have replaced most other fluids but still that was 40,000 miles ago according to you... that is more than 50% of the entire mileage on my car, you are overdue for pretty much every fluid again IMO.

If you've never done your brake fluid jeez, you need to get on that, the fluid in your car now after that long is probably rusting your brakes inside out. If you've never changed your A/F sensors they are probably way overdue and your car might run much better after doing that at this point.
Old 04-09-15, 07:47 AM
datboiM
Driver School Candidate

This is the website/manual I follow for maintenance scheduling. Inputted it on my car to remind me every so often and mileage and worry when it has to be done.

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...ce-schedule.do

The first problem that I read from your post was about your spark plugs. I've read so many issues on carbon buildup from a couple months ago before buying my own GS350. Spark plugs should be changed every 60k mileage to reduce the carbon buildup. I've read around and was told to look into changing the SP to reduce the heavy buildup.

Honestly, you dont have to go straight to the dealership to have your maintenance done. Find a reputable independent shop that focuses mainly on Toyota/Lexus with the right machine and tools.

Hope this helps

Last edited by datboiM; 04-09-15 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-09-15, 09:22 AM
krava
Lead Lap

I did do spark plugs when they were needed. I know that has to be done on any car, this car has no timeing belt so that didn't get done. I did all the belts and everything and water pump at 140K miles which was 1.5 years ago. Seems according to lexus is to do a break flush and inspect the other things for now. Then another 10k is a coolant flush is all that needs to be done.
Old 04-09-15, 01:13 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
180,000 miles... that's great! I only have 110,000 miles left to rack up to catch up to you on my old 06 (around 70,000 miles right now). I'll never reach that though... I will probably trade the car after I wear out my current sets of tires (which will take a very long time for us anyway) just because the size and style doesn't really meet my family's needs very well any more.

You still need to do differential fluids as needed, ring job would have replaced most other fluids but still that was 40,000 miles ago according to you... that is more than 50% of the entire mileage on my car, you are overdue for pretty much every fluid again IMO.

If you've never done your brake fluid jeez, you need to get on that, the fluid in your car now after that long is probably rusting your brakes inside out. If you've never changed your A/F sensors they are probably way overdue and your car might run much better after doing that at this point.
If you mean o2 sensors (oxygen sensors), those last I checked don't need to be changed until they've truly gone bad lol.

For OP: I'd check to see what was involved in your recall service. Transmission fluid, diff fluid, I believe you're about due for a timing chain change also, either soon or now.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/32...eplacment.html

It's said around 200k but I'd check with a service advisor or a Lexus tech and see when it's vital to change the timing chain on your vehicle.
Old 04-09-15, 09:10 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
If you mean o2 sensors (oxygen sensors), those last I checked don't need to be changed until they've truly gone bad lol.

For OP: I'd check to see what was involved in your recall service. Transmission fluid, diff fluid, I believe you're about due for a timing chain change also, either soon or now.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/32...eplacment.html

It's said around 200k but I'd check with a service advisor or a Lexus tech and see when it's vital to change the timing chain on your vehicle.
Well the rear ones, property called oxygen sensors, yeah... you can leave those alone. The front ones are more properly called air fuel ratio sensors and they will gradually go bad leading to messed up fuel trims and after that much mileage I don't think it would be a bad idea to replace them if not for fuel economy and performance but to possibly help save the catalytic converters which are much more costly.
Old 04-09-15, 09:20 PM
krava
Lead Lap

I didn't know you changed the timing chain at all? I am going Tuesday to have it all done, Trans service, Brake fluid service and Differetial service. Next one will be Coolent service and spark plugs.
Old 04-09-15, 09:36 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You shouldn't have to change the timing chain unless you have slack in your timing chain from the guides wearing or poor OCIs...you will know if you do need to because you will have an awful noise while the engine is running and probably a CEL too...
Old 04-10-15, 12:59 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Well the rear ones, property called oxygen sensors, yeah... you can leave those alone. The front ones are more properly called air fuel ratio sensors and they will gradually go bad leading to messed up fuel trims and after that much mileage I don't think it would be a bad idea to replace them if not for fuel economy and performance but to possibly help save the catalytic converters which are much more costly.
Def agree right there.... Better to change it early than late..... Front cats aren't cheat. In the US, I'm not sure if terms are different, but we call them front o2 sensors and rear o2 sensors.

The front ones sometimes seal themselves in after sitting so long exposed to heat lol!

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
You shouldn't have to change the timing chain unless you have slack in your timing chain from the guides wearing or poor OCIs...you will know if you do need to because you will have an awful noise while the engine is running and probably a CEL too...
I half-read about this somewhere too. I figured 180-200k was a good time as it MIGHT (who knows lol) snap off randomly.

I'm unsure though, if his engine is interference or non-interference, as a few Lexus engine models are interference and some are non-interference.