GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Buying new tires any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 12:08 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Buying new tires any suggestions?

Hey guys, I'm about buy a set of new tires! My rear tires hankook ventus V2's side walls are sort of done.... mid section has probably a decent amount left.... front right tire apparently has a bubble and front left is fine just got it recently i believe... So any suggestions? Hankooks? Michellins? Cooper tires? Pirellis? I'm avoiding bridgestones cause my fronts are bridgestones...
Old 04-02-15, 04:13 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I am running a Nitto 555's on my wife's GS. Second set. Great tire for the $
Old 04-02-15, 04:59 PM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Toyo T1 Sport. Man, after switching to aftermarket 19s I ran Toyo T1 Sport over the stock Continental DWS 18s and its a WHOLE world of a difference in terms of quietness and performance.
Old 04-02-15, 05:28 PM
BlackNeko
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a set of Mich. Sport A/s 3 V rated loving them so far. 40k warranty no complaints.
Old 04-02-15, 06:31 PM
VMRWheels
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking at All-Seasons:

Conti ExtremeContact DWS
Michelin Pilot Sport AS3
Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2
General GMax AS03

^ Have heard nothing but good reviews from our customers
Old 04-02-15, 07:11 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

if you're riding crappy roads and getting bubbles, it doesn't really matter what tire you choose.

You need the best tire warranties you can get. Some tire dealers have hazard coverage.
Old 04-02-15, 07:40 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you don't need all season tire...like me...im in the south....

Michelin Pilot Super Sport all the way...way better than the Pilot Sport A/S 3 that I'm currently running. I had the PSS before these and I would have gone back with them but I need the tires ASAP and they only had two in stock...
Old 04-02-15, 08:26 PM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotcha350

Michelin Pilot Super Sport all the way...way better than the Pilot Sport A/S 3 that I'm currently running. I had the PSS before these and I would have gone back with them but I need the tires ASAP and they only had two in stock...
i'm in Oklahoma and though we get hotter than hell during the summer months...we also can get to the low teens during winter months with light snows, freezing rain and ice. I guess that pretty much disqualifies me for anything other than "all-season" tires. I've got the Pilot Sport A/S 3's.....so what make the Super Sports that much better? Handling qualities, ride quality, road noise or what?? Honestly, these A/S 3's ride pretty smooth and quiet when I'm on a good surface...but the car itself is just much stiffer than I typically enjoy. I'm guessing it's just the suspension rather than the tire that creates the stiff ride.
Old 04-02-15, 08:28 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by burny
I am running a Nitto 555's on my wife's GS. Second set. Great tire for the $
Originally Posted by LoveThatV8
Toyo T1 Sport. Man, after switching to aftermarket 19s I ran Toyo T1 Sport over the stock Continental DWS 18s and its a WHOLE world of a difference in terms of quietness and performance.
Originally Posted by BlackNeko
I picked up a set of Mich. Sport A/s 3 V rated loving them so far. 40k warranty no complaints.
Originally Posted by VMRWheels
If you're looking at All-Seasons:

Conti ExtremeContact DWS
Michelin Pilot Sport AS3
Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2
General GMax AS03

^ Have heard nothing but good reviews from our customers
Originally Posted by pman6
if you're riding crappy roads and getting bubbles, it doesn't really matter what tire you choose.

You need the best tire warranties you can get. Some tire dealers have hazard coverage.

Thanks for some options guys! The reviews on all these tires are pretty good! Hopefully me and my brothers pic something good out of this batch of answers! We're hoping to spend about 80-100$ but it seems like these are bit over 100 but u cant always be cheap !!!!
Gotcha350 - I need all seasons cause i live in NYC it rains about half the time! Plus i need them for the winter... I drive like a grandma in the snow!
Pman6 - you have a point... living in NYC is pothole city! I never head a problem with my tires until my step mom came back from Connecticut !!!! I will definitely find a set with good warranty!
VMR - It was recent on these forums where a member had Conti DWS's where it wasn't wearing properly or something like that... trying to avoid it.... not sure if he had multiple problems but I think he said theyre discontinued...

Last edited by xbladex00; 04-02-15 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-02-15, 08:36 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gr8fulRed
i'm in Oklahoma and though we get hotter than hell during the summer months...we also can get to the low teens during winter months with light snows, freezing rain and ice. I guess that pretty much disqualifies me for anything other than "all-season" tires. I've got the Pilot Sport A/S 3's.....so what make the Super Sports that much better? Handling qualities, ride quality, road noise or what?? Honestly, these A/S 3's ride pretty smooth and quiet when I'm on a good surface...but the car itself is just much stiffer than I typically enjoy. I'm guessing it's just the suspension rather than the tire that creates the stiff ride.
I find the 3GS stock suspension pretty soft.... or at least it rolls like waves.... check your tire pressure, but heat also has effects of making a tire PSI higher which makes it tire stiffer i believe... (not a tire genius )
Old 04-03-15, 06:46 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

The PSS gripped better in dry and wet, were way quieter even when the tread was almost gone, I didn't seem to do as much tramlining as the A/S 3. The PS2 were one of the best tires on the market and the PSS was better than the PS2....but I live in the south so I only have two season dry and wet....lol

I even drove in snow with them...wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...we get snow once a decade...so I take my chances...lol

Last edited by Gotcha350; 04-03-15 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-03-15, 07:33 AM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The PSS gripped better in dry and wet, were way quieter even when the tread was almost gone, I didn't seem to do as much tramlining as the A/S 3. The PS2 were one of the best tires on the market and the PSS was better than the PS2....but I live in the south so I only have two season dry and wet....lol

I even drove in snow with them...wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...we get snow once a decade...so I take my chances...lol
safe to assume you sacrifice some tread life on the PSS's compared to the A/S 3s??
Old 04-03-15, 01:25 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

safe to assume you sacrifice some tread life on the PSS's compared to the A/S 3s??
Probably but it was worth it I think I got about 25-30k...idk what kind of life im going to get out these A/S 3s but the road noise is bad enough to where after I'm not looking for more than 30k out of them...I don't drive the car much anymore so i'll be lucky to get 30k before they rot...lol
Old 04-03-15, 04:08 PM
VMRWheels
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xbladex00
VMR - It was recent on these forums where a member had Conti DWS's where it wasn't wearing properly or something like that... trying to avoid it.... not sure if he had multiple problems but I think he said theyre discontinued...
Wow, that's interesting. Definitely going to have to look that up. I actually had a personal set of DWS wear improperly, though, I'm sure it was more due to my alignment/camber specs.
Old 04-03-15, 10:13 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

DWS are not discontinued. But some big tire chains stopped carrying them.

They still have plenty on tirerack though.

Quick Reply: Buying new tires any suggestions?