GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2009 Lexus GS350 AWD Transmission act funny after transmission service (Flush)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-15, 03:11 PM
tsiripong
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Lexus GS350 AWD Transmission act funny after transmission service (Flush)

I took my 09 s350 awe into Lexus dealer earlier this week to get 60k service done... While I was there, I told my SA that I would like to get my transmission fluid change also.... He told me that my car has the world standard fluid and it claim to last lifetime, but he recommend to replace it at 100k.... I told him that I would go ahead and do it early as I always done it at about this mile on my other cars....

After I pick up the car (Tuesday), it seems to run well like it has been. Today, when I brake the car (moderate) at the stop light as the light suddenly change from yellow to red, I felt like the car jerk after complete stop.... I tried to replicate it several time and it did the same thing....Jerk after complete stop...

I called my SA today and schedule for a test drive with Lexus Master tech on Monday....

Could this be related to recent transmission service??? I'm a little worry that the transmission service cause other damage to my transmission... The car currently has 59600 miles on it....

Thanks
Old 03-25-15, 05:16 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe they didn't fill it to the proper level...I had my 08 GS350 done at 60k and didn't have any problems...
Old 03-25-15, 05:45 PM
Othic
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
Maybe they didn't fill it to the proper level...I had my 08 GS350 done at 60k and didn't have any problems...
This. Most flush machines claim to have 1:1. Meaning it will put in what it takes out. We just a brand new machine and I was the first to use it on my own car. Last week I checked the trans fluid level and almost a quart low. Take it back to them and have them do the trans fluid check procedure. You might have to leave it there since the trans fluid has to be between 115 - 130 degrees. If they go passed that temp, they'll have to left the car cool off a couple hours and start over. That's where I would start.
Old 03-25-15, 05:55 PM
tsiripong
Rookie

Originally Posted by Othic
This. Most flush machines claim to have 1:1. Meaning it will put in what it takes out. We just a brand new machine and I was the first to use it on my own car. Last week I checked the trans fluid level and almost a quart low. Take it back to them and have them do the trans fluid check procedure. You might have to leave it there since the trans fluid has to be between 115 - 130 degrees. If they go passed that temp, they'll have to left the car cool off a couple hours and start over. That's where I would start.
Is it ok for me to drive the car for the rest of the week?? I have the appointment on Monday afternoon??? Will it damage my transmission if the fluid is low?
Old 03-25-15, 07:11 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

They didn't full it up through the correct top off procedure. Scary man. I would not drive it if it were mine.
Old 03-25-15, 07:59 PM
tsiripong
Rookie

Originally Posted by burny
They didn't full it up through the correct top off procedure. Scary man. I would not drive it if it were mine.

Are you sure that the Jerk after complete stop is due to the fluid level.... It only happen on a moderate to hard brake.... I hope that it will not damage my transmission... I already drove over 100 miles on it since I picked up the car yesterday....

I wouldn't know about it if I did not brake when the yellow turned red today...
Old 03-25-15, 09:17 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Unbelievable, not only a stealership but can't do the job right. I will stick to DIY
Old 03-25-15, 09:23 PM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm sure the jerking action is not just a coincidence. I've always been a bit leery of using the flush machines and stuck with the "drain and fill" procedure, but others have flushed without incident...so who knows. Clearly though, the issue was created by the procedure at the dealership. That really really sucks. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 03-26-15, 07:17 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I am not sure by far, but the symptoms certainly say there is an issue. Are there any lights on the dash? I would demand they come tow the car to the dealership and provide you a loaner.
Old 03-26-15, 10:00 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would stop driving the car, if they didn't fill it correctly, you
Are looking into long term damage to the transmission. There is a whole procedure to do a transmission flush including switching gears after fill and driving around the block and rechecking fluid level. This is exactly why I will never replace my tranny fluid, I don't trust anyone to do it correctly and i follow the maintance manual which suggests not to replace it. I trust toyota/lexus engineers more then anyone else, and i will also say Lexus would not put their brand at risk over a few hundred $ maintance if it was required.
Old 03-26-15, 10:52 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

If it was me it take it now and demand that they check it out...you paid for a service and the issue happened after that service...that's on them...
Old 03-26-15, 11:08 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
I would stop driving the car, if they didn't fill it correctly, you
Are looking into long term damage to the transmission. There is a whole procedure to do a transmission flush including switching gears after fill and driving around the block and rechecking fluid level. This is exactly why I will never replace my tranny fluid, I don't trust anyone to do it correctly and i follow the maintance manual which suggests not to replace it. I trust toyota/lexus engineers more then anyone else, and i will also say Lexus would not put their brand at risk over a few hundred $ maintance if it was required.
I don't trust them because they don't care what happens after the warranty is expired. Aisin doesn't spec a lifetime interval on the transmission. They built them not Toyota even though toyota owns a percentage of them. Also like it has been discussed Lexus of Canada says change it. Now, I believe all this is from the transmissions becoming more complex and owners wanting to use different fluids instead of what's recommended. im sure there are far more fluid related failures from not changing it then there are problems from changing it. My. 02...
Old 03-26-15, 12:52 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
I don't trust them because they don't care what happens after the warranty is expired. Aisin doesn't spec a lifetime interval on the transmission. They built them not Toyota even though toyota owns a percentage of them. Also like it has been discussed Lexus of Canada says change it. Now, I believe all this is from the transmissions becoming more complex and owners wanting to use different fluids instead of what's recommended. im sure there are far more fluid related failures from not changing it then there are problems from changing it. My. 02...
Well they obviously do care, because Lexus/Toyota known for reliability. You never hear someone say " don't buy used Toyota or Lexus they have ton of issues" That statement applies to German cars. Japanese cars are known to be reliable if you maintenance them correctly. As I said they wouldn't put their reputation out for something so small that only costs $100-$300 dollars. My friend had an LS400 258k miles never replaced tranny fluid, when checked it was pink/redish like it came out from the factory. That car actually required tranny flush, but he never performed it and never had an issue. If you are active on this forum, you will notice barely any transmission issues related to lack of changing oil. This is my outlook on it, everyone has a different outlook and that is fine.
Old 03-26-15, 02:19 PM
Othic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tsiripong
Is it ok for me to drive the car for the rest of the week?? I have the appointment on Monday afternoon??? Will it damage my transmission if the fluid is low?
If its a little low itll be ok. I drove about 700 miles or so before I rechecked my tranny fluid.
Old 03-26-15, 02:23 PM
Othic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
I trust toyota/lexus engineers more then anyone else, and i will also say Lexus would not put their brand at risk over a few hundred $ maintance if it was required.
Those same engineers were saying that these new engines would never have to be opened. But we're rebuilding them after 30k miles..

Quick Reply: 2009 Lexus GS350 AWD Transmission act funny after transmission service (Flush)