GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Want my car to feel like new again, what do I have to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-15, 03:41 PM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnumGuy
How much did you buy it for if you don't mind me asking. I got my 07 gs350 99k miles for $17k. Previous owner serviced it all the way to lexus dealership.
when did you purchase your 07'?
Old 03-13-15, 04:40 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

How much did you buy it for if you don't mind me asking. I got my 07 gs350 99k miles for $17k. Previous owner serviced it all the way to lexus dealership.
I bought mine for $11,000 with 137,000 miles on it. It did not have service records because I bought it from a used car dealership. But before I bought it, I had a Lexus dealership inspect the car. All they found was a bent rim, no tranny or engine problems so I was happy. On Monday I am having the tires road force balanced and the rims re done by a shop that takes the bends out of the rims and sandblasts the rims. If that doesn't fix my problem then I will start playing the elimination game and start replacing upper and lower ball joints, control arms, bushings, struts, motor and tranny mounts and all that other good stuff. Hopefully the vibration is solved with the simple balancing of tires and bend being fixed. I will let you all know on Monday!

And MagnumGuy, $17,000 seems a bit high. It could be a perfect car, therefore the higher price. Mine isn't perfect but I like putting the work into it and knowing what has been done to the car. But your opinion is the only one that matters, if it was worth $17,000 to you, then it is a great buy!
Old 03-13-15, 04:42 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Please don't waste your money on the vibrating thing. Lexus will charge you an arm and a leg for that simple thing. Your wheels need to be balanced. This should cost you around $20 at a tire shop. Trust me, it's worth it. I had that same issue. See how much Lexus charges you and compare but I would take it to a ghetto tire shop where they do balancing. Reason is because Tire balancing is not a science and it would be ok to have it done at a ghetto tire shop. See for your self. I know that at certain speeds, it feels smoother but you don't want to drive at that speed all the time do you?

Let me know what happens. Thanks.
I agree about avoiding the expensive dealerships, but my buddy can get the parts with a nice discount, and the labor almost free. But like you said, I'm starting with a road force balance and then if that doesn't fix it I will start replacing suspension components.
Old 03-13-15, 04:43 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hanuman
I would check the struts. I changed mine at 58k and the car is like new. Tire balancing is always an issue I have taken mine back 5 times one time and finally got it right. Lexus told me the rims were bent, they were not.
I can't imagine that it would be the struts. The car still rides nice except for the vibrations. But I could be wrong, if some of the cheaper replacement parts don't solve the problem I will replace the struts also.
Old 03-14-15, 04:23 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by leisinjp
I agree about avoiding the expensive dealerships, but my buddy can get the parts with a nice discount, and the labor almost free. But like you said, I'm starting with a road force balance and then if that doesn't fix it I will start replacing suspension components.
Let us know what ends up happening. Willing to bet the cause is the bent rim.
Old 03-14-15, 05:27 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would buy new rims I have a hard time believIng a bent rim can be straightened correctly, you will then be chasing your tail replacing parts when the whole time it will be the rim
Old 03-14-15, 05:50 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you have unidirectional tires or different size wheels front/back, a quick test of wheels/tires is to swap their location, preferably side-to-side and front-to-back. Even if they are unidirectional, you can swap side to side, even if they're different sizes as long as they clear. The vibration may go away or just be different enough. If you can find a place that's capable and willing, just putting on 'test" wheels on for a while. They don't have to be new. They just have to be a different, and preferably known good wheel/tire. A bad tire can still balance but ride funny.
Old 03-14-15, 11:14 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Let us know what ends up happening. Willing to bet the cause is the bent rim.
I will man. And I hope you are correct. I really don't want to start replacing parts already.
Old 03-14-15, 11:16 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sam12345
I would buy new rims I have a hard time believIng a bent rim can be straightened correctly, you will then be chasing your tail replacing parts when the whole time it will be the rim
I'm in Cincinnati and there is a reputable shop called the rim doctor. From what I have heard is that he does a great job and can take any bends out and make it new.
Old 03-14-15, 11:16 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rudyH
Unless you have unidirectional tires or different size wheels front/back, a quick test of wheels/tires is to swap their location, preferably side-to-side and front-to-back. Even if they are unidirectional, you can swap side to side, even if they're different sizes as long as they clear. The vibration may go away or just be different enough. If you can find a place that's capable and willing, just putting on 'test" wheels on for a while. They don't have to be new. They just have to be a different, and preferably known good wheel/tire. A bad tire can still balance but ride funny.
I wish I knew somewhere to do that to see if it is the rims. I just can't think of anyone or anyplace that would be willing to throw some rims and tires on my car for me.
Old 03-17-15, 09:48 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Update....
I had the wheels inspected by a wheel doctor here in Cincinnati and they said I had a bend in two rims. They fixed the bends and I drove the car home today. No more vibrations while driving! It really needs an alignment now though. I know that they didn't have the Hunter Road Force balancer and I'm picky about my car so I will probably take it to a shop and have them rebalance the tires. I'm still thinking that I want to replace some simple things like the motor and tranny mounts and the control arms just to keep things solid and smooth.
Old 03-17-15, 12:13 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by leisinjp
Update....
I had the wheels inspected by a wheel doctor here in Cincinnati and they said I had a bend in two rims. They fixed the bends and I drove the car home today. No more vibrations while driving! It really needs an alignment now though. I know that they didn't have the Hunter Road Force balancer and I'm picky about my car so I will probably take it to a shop and have them rebalance the tires. I'm still thinking that I want to replace some simple things like the motor and tranny mounts and the control arms just to keep things solid and smooth.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. But do change your fluids.
Old 03-17-15, 09:04 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sam12345
If it ain't broke don't fix it. But do change your fluids.

I know right, I'm always just trying to make my car drive the best as possible.