GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

rain and akebono pads!! Scary!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 03:35 PM
bfor3
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default rain and akebono pads!! Scary!

Hey guys, I just switched to these pads and when it rained these wouldn't grab! I had to pump the brakes until they did finally grab! Scary for sure! Anyone else have these problems?
P.S. I also have R1 Concepts upgraded cross drilled rotors.
Old 03-10-15, 04:43 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You installed them wrong. Akabono is oem

Cross drilled rotors are a waste, useful for nothing but looks
Old 03-10-15, 09:34 PM
xmike714x
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just installed Akabono brakes....works perfectly for me!
Old 03-11-15, 02:00 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Never heard this before, Akebono brakes are basically oem so I find it odd this happened, may want to check your install.
Old 03-11-15, 07:39 AM
warandcar
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you're saying that the brakes works fine when its dry outside? or was it wet and you were using the brakes for the first time?
Old 03-11-15, 08:32 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

bleed your brakes seems like you got air in your lines.

and cross drilled or slotted do help. its just a matter of where you got them from and how they are drilled. if its from a cheap company you may want to check if the drill and slotting are done right. personally i dont see a use for BBK or drilled and slotted unless your tracking, making 400whp+, or strickly a show car lol... or your a tail-gating douche lol
Old 03-11-15, 09:05 AM
kenne01l
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you install new rotors when you did the pads? If not did you turn the old rotors? Did you use any brake quiet grease or lube?
Old 03-11-15, 09:09 AM
LexusLadi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uberEJ
bleed your brakes seems like you got air in your lines.

and cross drilled or slotted do help. its just a matter of where you got them from and how they are drilled. if its from a cheap company you may want to check if the drill and slotting are done right. personally i dont see a use for BBK or drilled and slotted unless your tracking, making 400whp+, or strickly a show car lol... or your a tail-gating douche lol
I agree, bleed your brakes to make sure. Go back to where you got them installed and tell them to finish the job and do it right. They should have test drove it before they handed you back the keys.

On a side note I also have they brakes and am not thrilled with them at all. They just don't have they same bite and brake feel. Its the price you pay for going ceramic. You get less dust but less stopping power.
Old 03-11-15, 10:12 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like he did not brake them in yet, Fresh installed brakes need about 1000 miles to work properly. Drive it around for a few hundred miles and try to stop hard when ever you have the room to safely do so.
Old 03-11-15, 10:42 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

how long ago were they installed?
where the rotors and pads installed at the same time? and are they both brand new?

I've never in my life have heard of having to "break in" your pads. im on duralast gold from autozone and it works just as great oem pads, even "broken in"(LOL) oem pads.

if they are both brand new you need to bleed your calipers and "Bed"(bedding is a real process) the pads into the rotors. this process takes less than 30 min and should be done on a street where there aren't many cars.

when you receive new rotors, almost every company i know sprays oil on them before they wrap it to keep them from rusting during transportation and being shelved. which is why you need to clean off the rotors with brake cleaner.

i still say bleed your brakes and take some brake cleaner and clean both sides of the calipers and pads.
Old 03-11-15, 09:41 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Good point he probably forgot to clean the anti corossion oil off the rotors and contaminated the pads.

every time you change your pads it's good practice to bleed all the old fluid out of yor brake lines and resevoir.

I reiterate, drilled and slotted rotors are good for nothing but looks.

http://automotivethinker.com/brakes-2/rotors-blank-vs-cross-drilled-vs-slotted-and-warping/

Last edited by sam12345; 03-11-15 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-11-15, 09:54 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by uberEJ
how long ago were they installed?
where the rotors and pads installed at the same time? and are they both brand new?

I've never in my life have heard of having to "break in" your pads. im on duralast gold from autozone and it works just as great oem pads, even "broken in"(LOL) oem pads.

if they are both brand new you need to bleed your calipers and "Bed"(bedding is a real process) the pads into the rotors. this process takes less than 30 min and should be done on a street where there aren't many cars.

when you receive new rotors, almost every company i know sprays oil on them before they wrap it to keep them from rusting during transportation and being shelved. which is why you need to clean off the rotors with brake cleaner.

i still say bleed your brakes and take some brake cleaner and clean both sides of the calipers and pads.

errr I mean't bed them in.
Old 03-11-15, 09:58 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

I believe akebono brakes are not the kind you need to bed in at least not per the instructionsin the akebono box the akebono brakes come in. But maybe it would help
Old 03-12-15, 04:47 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

lol its all good GS350Lexus

pads themselves do not need to be bedded if thats all he changed recently. the bedding process is only required when new or resurfaced rotors are put on.

but yeah cleanem and bleedem

If all provided ideas fail
you may have a caliper or 2 seizing. and this would feel like your breaks aren't grabbing. my rear ones, the sliding pins rusted and prevented the caliper from moving properly to grab the rotor. i had to grip it to a table vice and use the pole from a jack just to break it free.
Old 03-12-15, 07:34 AM
bfor3
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man great responses everyone and I really appreciate that!
Yes I bought brand new pads with my brand new R1 Concepts rotors. I always do the installs myself and I actually took off the calipers to paint them as well. I've had them on now for about 3000 miles and I also always bed them in with the whole stopping from 40-5 mph 6 times etc! I also took them to the dealer to do a whole brake fluid flush right after!
Thats why this is so strange! It feels like peddle feel is not good. Should I get stainless steel lines!?

Quick Reply: rain and akebono pads!! Scary!