GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Car vibrates in D and R but not N, steering wheel also has some vibration.

Old 03-09-15, 06:18 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Car vibrates in D and R but not N, steering wheel also has some vibration.

Hey guys, I have a 2007 Lexus GS 350 AWD. I've noticed that when I am at a light that the car has a little bit of a vibration, not bad but I notice it. I have put it in D and R and the car does the small vibration. When I put it into N it completely stops and is still. What the heck would that be from?
Also my steering wheel has a bit of a vibration when driving. I've especially noticed it at 20 - 25 MPH. It doesn't do it more when I brake, it is just something that happens and I can feel the whole time. What do you all think that could be?
Old 03-09-15, 07:14 PM
CarKrayz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welcome to the infamous GS vibrations(only with the AWD). Yet to have any firm 100% solutions to that. I have been patiently waiting on the solution myself. I have asked the techs at Lexus and they have no solutions as well.
Old 03-09-15, 07:32 PM
SILENTM
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Have you checked the motor and trans mount. Are any of your wheels bent and are the wheels balanced
Old 03-10-15, 06:12 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CarKrayz
welcome to the infamous GS vibrations(only with the AWD). Yet to have any firm 100% solutions to that. I have been patiently waiting on the solution myself. I have asked the techs at Lexus and they have no solutions as well.
Well that's not good news haha. Do you know of anything that has been done in the past to help this issue?
Old 03-10-15, 06:14 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SILENTM
Have you checked the motor and trans mount. Are any of your wheels bent and are the wheels balanced
I'm actually taking the car to have the tires balanced. Figured I would start with the cheapest and most obvious fix. I just didn't know if there were common problems like this.
Old 03-10-15, 03:32 PM
Steve2424
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, welcome to vibrationland..where the fixes are temporary and the occurrences are many lol. Mine does that too and I only noticed it once the weather started turning cold, or at least noticed it more. I initially thought it was a wheel balance/ alignment, bent wheel issue so I got my tires mounted and balanced 3 separate times along with a wheel alignment as well as ensuring no rim was bent. No rim's bent and neither alignment or wheel balance made any difference.

My mounts looked good according to my mechanic friend, so I guess the AWD system was not thoughtfully executed on this generation. It's like Lexus wanted to engage into the AWD universe and just mashed one into the GS to compete against the likes of the M, E-class, or 5 series. I haven't driven a 4th gen AWD yet and intend to do so and see if there is any improvement between the years.

Good luck!
Old 03-10-15, 03:38 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Steve2424
Yep, welcome to vibrationland..where the fixes are temporary and the occurrences are many lol. Mine does that too and I only noticed it once the weather started turning cold, or at least noticed it more. I initially thought it was a wheel balance/ alignment, bent wheel issue so I got my tires mounted and balanced 3 separate times along with a wheel alignment as well as ensuring no rim was bent. No rim's bent and neither alignment or wheel balance made any difference.

My mounts looked good according to my mechanic friend, so I guess the AWD system was not thoughtfully executed on this generation. It's like Lexus wanted to engage into the AWD universe and just mashed one into the GS to compete against the likes of the M, E-class, or 5 series. I haven't driven a 4th gen AWD yet and intend to do so and see if there is any improvement between the years.

Good luck!
Thanks man, so far I haven't gotten any good news other than it is there and you can't fix it.
Old 03-10-15, 04:48 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by leisinjp
I'm actually taking the car to have the tires balanced. Figured I would start with the cheapest and most obvious fix. I just didn't know if there were common problems like this.
If it vibrates stopped at the light I doubt it's your tires.
Old 03-10-15, 05:45 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sam12345
If it vibrates stopped at the light I doubt it's your tires.
I understand that that particular vibration is not the tires, but I'm still feeling a vibration when I'm actually driving the car.
Old 03-12-15, 04:21 PM
Steve2424
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand that that particular vibration is not the tires, but I'm still feeling a vibration when I'm actually driving the car.
It could be a number of things -- maybe a bent/cracked rim, alignment/ balance issue, or perhaps a suspension component(s) like axles or control arms. On my previous car ('01 Maxima) I was having a wobble feeling when driving -- like the car was drunk when in motion -- and after inspection, my mechanic pointed out that the control arms needed replacing. After the job was done the car drove much smoother and tighter. Different car, but start with teh cheap stuff first -- check the rims for any bends or cracks then if none, do a wheel balance and alignment. If it still persists then you may need to have a mechanic inspect the front end. Also see if your tires have any bubbles because this too will affect your ride's smoothness. Good luck!
Old 03-12-15, 07:15 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

It could be a number of things -- maybe a bent/cracked rim, alignment/ balance issue, or perhaps a suspension component(s) like axles or control arms. On my previous car ('01 Maxima) I was having a wobble feeling when driving -- like the car was drunk when in motion -- and after inspection, my mechanic pointed out that the control arms needed replacing. After the job was done the car drove much smoother and tighter. Different car, but start with teh cheap stuff first -- check the rims for any bends or cracks then if none, do a wheel balance and alignment. If it still persists then you may need to have a mechanic inspect the front end. Also see if your tires have any bubbles because this too will affect your ride's smoothness. Good luck!
Thanks man! Good info, I'll try all of that!
Old 03-13-15, 11:12 AM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

holy crap i thought i was the only one.... My 07 GS 350 vibrates too, but at certain times it vibrates a bit harder... When i turn on the A/C i feel as if it vibrates even more... I figured that its probably due to the engine being so powerful and the tranny moving
Old 03-13-15, 11:15 AM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

my rims look pretty bad... check out my posts
Old 03-13-15, 04:47 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xbladex00
holy crap i thought i was the only one.... My 07 GS 350 vibrates too, but at certain times it vibrates a bit harder... When i turn on the A/C i feel as if it vibrates even more... I figured that its probably due to the engine being so powerful and the tranny moving
Haha, yup. I'm there with you. When it gets annoying and I'm at a stop light I'll just put the car in neutral and then it goes away.
Old 03-13-15, 07:16 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Haha, yup. I'm there with you. When it gets annoying and I'm at a stop light I'll just put the car in neutral and then it goes away.
Funny thing... My GS didnt vibrate at all today except for the A/C turning on and my air filter door buzzing....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car vibrates in D and R but not N, steering wheel also has some vibration.