GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Rear ended...again

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-15, 05:57 PM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear ended...again

My 2009 GS 350 AWD was just rear ended for the 2nd time in 6 months! The damage seems a little worse this time as the driver was going faster. We exchanged info and he said he was driving a company car and the insurance company would call me tomorrow. I snapped pics of his insurance card, driver's license, and license plate. Driving off I can hear my bumper dragging which just sucks.

I want to get into a Lexus loaner or something comparable ASAP and make sure that get the best body work done.

Any recommendations on how to speed this claim process up or make it easier?
Old 03-03-15, 07:24 PM
LexLova
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Make thier ins Pay

Call gieco or whomever ASAP, and be STERN
Old 03-03-15, 08:26 PM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

when the offender's insurance company contacts you, be prepared to pursue them for "diminished value", i.e. the amount of money the "wreck" and subsequent repair will do to your "resale value".

Many people don't consider this "loss" at the time of the accident...rather...just focus on getting their car repaired. However, in this day and age of "carfax", "auto check", etc.....this wreck (even after repaired) will negatively effect your car's value.

here is a link that provides more info and some things to consider...

http://carappraisalclaims.com/attorn...-value-claims/
Old 03-04-15, 05:57 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Contact your own insurance company and tell them why you need a loaner and let them handle the details with the other insurance company, thats what they get paid for.
Old 03-04-15, 08:07 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Thanks for the replies.

So far their insurance company has been a pain in the ****. They tried to make me wait 5 business days for an adjuster, but I told them that is unacceptable. I need to get my car to Germain Collision Center ASAP to get on their list which is backed up to March 30th. I tried to call enterprise on my own but they said they need the reservation to be made by the insurance company. I feel like I shouldn't have to get my own insurance company involved.

I have every intention to pursue diminished value as well.
Old 03-10-15, 06:15 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Damage is estimated at ~ $10,000 before they even pull anything off. For the past 7 days I've been driving a VW Jetta :/. Getting kind of used to it, but it can't compare to my 350.

I wonder what else enterprise has on that lot that may be close to what I have. They said the insurance company will only pay for standard, and that I would have to pay extra for a full size. This is bs.
Old 04-16-15, 12:38 PM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Well folks, my car rental coverage has been completely exhausted and now I must come out of pocket until the vehicle is fixed. Not only that but they want to total the car. At first I told them no, and they agreed to fix it. Now I am re-thinking it and will talk to a total loss adjuster to go over my options.

Being that I purchased an extended warranty through Lexus, does anyone know if I can transfer this to a another Lexus?
Old 04-16-15, 02:14 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

That just sucks!!! Your still dealing with this a month later?!
Old 04-16-15, 04:50 PM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sha4000
That just sucks!!! Your still dealing with this a month later?!
Yep. To add to the annoyances the driver that ran into me guy lied to his insurance company claiming that my car was parked in the left lane on a busy street with no hazards on and that I was not even inside of the car. So the subrogation process has begun and will most likely go to arbitration as well.
Old 04-16-15, 05:47 PM
RTGS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by handzilla
Yep. To add to the annoyances the driver that ran into me guy lied to his insurance company claiming that my car was parked in the left lane on a busy street with no hazards on and that I was not even inside of the car. So the subrogation process has begun and will most likely go to arbitration as well.
And that is why you don't just exchange information. Call the police and let them file a report.
Old 04-16-15, 06:05 PM
krava
Lead Lap

you got a few more hits to go. I have been hit on all 4 sides of my car on my Passat. 3 haven't gotten fixed yet and don't plan on it. I always call the cops even with a small bump on my back.
Old 04-16-15, 10:12 PM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by handzilla
Well folks, my car rental coverage has been completely exhausted and now I must come out of pocket until the vehicle is fixed. Not only that but they want to total the car. At first I told them no, and they agreed to fix it. Now I am re-thinking it and will talk to a total loss adjuster to go over my options.

Being that I purchased an extended warranty through Lexus, does anyone know if I can transfer this to a another Lexus?
No...it will not. It is, however, cancelable...and you will be entitled to a pro-rata refund of the unused portion of the contract. They will use the greater of "elapsed time" or "miles driven" to determine your refund amount. If there is no lien on the car...that money comes back to you. You will need to contract the dealer where you purchased the car to start the cancellation process. They will need the miles on the car at the time of the total loss and the date of loss.

To be clear...service contract are "transferrable" i.e. ...you are able to transfer the remainder of the contract to a subsequent owner, for a small fee typically...but they "stay with the car"...not to a different car that you buy. In your case, since the car will not have a new owner (totaled)..you cancel it and apply for the refund. Had you not been in a wreck and just decided to sell your car outright...a selling point to the prospective buyer would be that you could allow them to take over the remainder of the warranty and with that kind of peace of mind...it makes selling your car a bit easier.

Last edited by gr8fulRed; 04-16-15 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-17-15, 04:51 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RTGS350
And that is why you don't just exchange information. Call the police and let them file a report.
Bingo. Valuable lesson learned. People can be scoundrels.
Old 04-17-15, 04:53 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by krava
you got a few more hits to go. I have been hit on all 4 sides of my car on my Passat. 3 haven't gotten fixed yet and don't plan on it. I always call the cops even with a small bump on my back.
My concern is the value of my vehicle after repairs which is why I am pondering the total loss.
Old 04-17-15, 04:54 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gr8fulRed
No...it will not. It is, however, cancelable...and you will be entitled to a pro-rata refund of the unused portion of the contract. They will use the greater of "elapsed time" or "miles driven" to determine your refund amount. If there is no lien on the car...that money comes back to you. You will need to contract the dealer where you purchased the car to start the cancellation process. They will need the miles on the car at the time of the total loss and the date of loss.

To be clear...service contract are "transferrable" i.e. ...you are able to transfer the remainder of the contract to a subsequent owner, for a small fee typically...but they "stay with the car"...not to a different car that you buy. In your case, since the car will not have a new owner (totaled)..you cancel it and apply for the refund. Had you not been in a wreck and just decided to sell your car outright...a selling point to the prospective buyer would be that you could allow them to take over the remainder of the warranty and with that kind of peace of mind...it makes selling your car a bit easier.

Thanks for the info. It is good to know that I won't be at a total loss for the warranty.

Quick Reply: Rear ended...again