GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

How do you guys drive in S mode?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-15, 01:48 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How do you guys drive in S mode?

I've been driving in S mode and there seems to be no problem with it... at times when i let off the gas the rpm drops like 500 revs and goes back up... say 3rd gear at 1000rpm go to 2000rpm drops to 1500rpm goes back up to 2000rpm.... not sure if thats normal but it all seems fine tho.... maybe it expects me to change gear? Also when down shifting.... do you guys blip the throttle? sometimes i feel its more comfortable and when i just drop a gear without light gas tapping its like a very light jerk...? sometimes its fine BUT i know going back into first just drives the car crazy which is where i actually need to blip the throttle more than usual.
Old 03-01-15, 02:12 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't use sport mode unless I'm on the highway...it is not made for city driving...the reason you get harsh shifts is because the ECU is trying to keep the engine in the powerband. Its trying to hold the gear as long as possible. My M37 behaves the same way...I figure that it can't be good for the mounts in the city with all that harsh shifting...
Old 03-01-15, 02:55 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

you don't need to do that blipping.

S mode can be used for city driving. I use it on hills.

Otherwise, I just keep it in D and ECT POWER mode.
Old 03-01-15, 05:09 PM
acer0611
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6

Totally agree, I use it daily since I live in an area with alot of hills, I basically use when I'm going downhill to keep me at low speeds without having to use my brakes.
Old 03-01-15, 07:31 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
I don't use sport mode unless I'm on the highway...it is not made for city driving...the reason you get harsh shifts is because the ECU is trying to keep the engine in the powerband. Its trying to hold the gear as long as possible. My M37 behaves the same way...I figure that it can't be good for the mounts in the city with all that harsh shifting...
I agree it isn't so good in city driving.... highway wise yes its fantastic feature to bring out all that power i need when passing or getting up to speed on the highway... I live in a sorta hill like neighborhood... I just wonder if its bad for the tranny tho...
Old 03-01-15, 07:36 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pman6

yea i figured the blipping isn't so necessary but going down to first gear gives me a weird jerk which makes me want to blip the throttle for a smoother feel.... I've never driven a manual but i let off the gas when i switch gears all the time. I'm not really sure but I heard that it does go into neutral for a split second or a second knowing this tranny takes a while to shift and i use that moment to blip to a good RPM range sometimes the shifts don't even feel noticeable and i deem it as a good down shift... I don't depress the gas pedal all the way i just tap it a bit cause i dont want to destroy the tranny
Old 03-01-15, 07:39 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by acer0611
Totally agree, I use it daily since I live in an area with alot of hills, I basically use when I'm going downhill to keep me at low speeds without having to use my brakes.
I precisely use this sometimes to keep my speed when going down this one steep hill! but I think it just drives the people behind me crazy as it seems like i'm not accelerating as fast... Which I do notice that I4 engines speed decreases a lot faster then V6 engines since i'm comparing this to my juke... but i also noticed that when i drive my aunts honda CR-V it somewhat feels like its keeping the speed... (VTEC yo?)
Old 03-01-15, 08:14 PM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xbladex00
yea i figured the blipping isn't so necessary but going down to first gear gives me a weird jerk which makes me want to blip the throttle for a smoother feel.... I've never driven a manual but i let off the gas when i switch gears all the time. I'm not really sure but I heard that it does go into neutral for a split second or a second knowing this tranny takes a while to shift and i use that moment to blip to a good RPM range sometimes the shifts don't even feel noticeable and i deem it as a good down shift... I don't depress the gas pedal all the way i just tap it a bit cause i dont want to destroy the tranny

I use it all the time regardless of the time of day or condition that I'm in. That jerky feeling from 2nd to 1st is tricky and it startles me if I don't time it right. If I'm around 2000-1500rpm on 2nd gear, it's a perfect sweet spot to drop down to 1st with foot off the gas and coming to a stop. Anything lower than 1500 will give you this "stalled" or jerky feeling and it feels like you shat in your pants.

I do engine braking most of the time since I daily my car on a 42mile commute round trip so I would be on S all the time, otherwise I'd be super dependent on my brakes and I'd have to change it so often since I do long commute. I also wish this thing was DCT or straight manual trans... If I had the time, money, and skills I probably would. To each of their own I guess.
Old 03-01-15, 09:32 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

I guess it's good for engine braking...lol

I was told by a lexus tech that it's easier on the transmission and mounts if you avoid using it except for spirited driving...idk...I guess the next time I drive it i'll give it a shot...lol
Old 03-02-15, 06:19 AM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

granted, I've only had this GS for a couple of months...but I've never used the "sport shifting" or whatever that is. Exactly how does it work? Does it just basically let you shift through the gears as you want, over-riding the ecu's set shift points or something?? Meaning...if you leave it in 2nd...will the tranny NOT SHIFT to third regardless of speed and rpm?? Seems on the few occasions I mistakenly put the shifter into "S mode"...the dash always shows it in 4th....even when I'm at a dead standstill.
Old 03-02-15, 06:33 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Whatever number is shown is the highest gear the transmission will shift to without you you pushing the shifter forward...so if it shows a 4 it will shift on its own up to 4th gear but holding each gear longer depending on throttle input...
Old 03-02-15, 07:46 AM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

can you downshift with it like a standard tranny? I guess I'll have to try it out and see what it's like.
Old 03-02-15, 08:25 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by acer0611
Higher RPM mean more gas burning. But does that apply still when going down hill? could you do a "test"? Like for one tank of gas, drive normal but when going down hill try use the regular brake. Just to see if the MPG change.
Old 03-02-15, 09:52 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gr8fulRed
can you downshift with it like a standard tranny? I guess I'll have to try it out and see what it's like.
Yes you can...
Old 03-02-15, 01:05 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
I guess it's good for engine braking...lol

I was told by a lexus tech that it's easier on the transmission and mounts if you avoid using it except for spirited driving...idk...I guess the next time I drive it i'll give it a shot...lol
As in blipping or 2000-1500 rpm to first gear? honestly the first few times using it i felt as if i was using it incorrectly

Quick Reply: How do you guys drive in S mode?