GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS 350 07 rear brake rotor rust...

Old 02-23-15, 07:46 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xbladex00
I honestly thought it was the pads that were activated! boy am i wrong now.... thanks for the education! i still got lots to learn tho!
Seriously?!? 2 calipers? i was only expecting to replace both of the rears, unless u meant by both rear.
2 drivers side's and 1 passenger side, 2 times lubing in between changes. This caliper design is flawed, this is why lexus changed to new rear calipers for 2013+ gs. I wish someone would swam them out for the newer one's and give us a DIY.
Old 02-24-15, 06:48 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

It's been with the family for 7 years... This is my dads Gs 350 so i try to take care of it ever since around 3 years ago which i started driving... I'm not sure how often he brought it to the wash but i've been washing it since then... there's a lot of rust and the calipers are seized. I'm planning on buying new calipers and rotors.
Yea the wheels look like they were not cleaned often. Yeah those calipers will seize probably a good time to do some maintenance obviously after winter.
Old 02-24-15, 11:13 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

It's been with the family for 7 years... This is my dads Gs 350 so i try to take care of it ever since around 3 years ago which i started driving... I'm not sure how often he brought it to the wash but i've been washing it since then... there's a lot of rust and the calipers are seized. I'm planning on buying new calipers and rotors.
There are ton of options for rear calipers, Rebuild, aftermarket and OEM. I would suggest going the OEM route they are about $220 a piece.
Old 02-24-15, 02:55 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
2 drivers side's and 1 passenger side, 2 times lubing in between changes. This caliper design is flawed, this is why lexus changed to new rear calipers for 2013+ gs. I wish someone would swam them out for the newer one's and give us a DIY.
There are ton of options for rear calipers, Rebuild, aftermarket and OEM. I would suggest going the OEM route they are about $220 a piece.
Damn, I hope someone does one soon for the swap for the new ones... I suppose we could just buy an after market from brembos or stoptech and call it a day but ain't no body got money for that . I just bought Centric calipers from rockauto they say they make OEM products so hopefully i swap em out soon! I bought both for about $230 and i get a CORE option which I can return the old ones and get 75$ back for each caliper...
Old 02-24-15, 02:58 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Yea the wheels look like they were not cleaned often. Yeah those calipers will seize probably a good time to do some maintenance obviously after winter.
If you're talking about my rims... then yes they have gone through years of hell... some of them are actually dented in from hitting curbs and i swear it aint me!!! Hopefully I have time in the summer and repaint them myselves!
Old 02-24-15, 08:42 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Damn, I hope someone does one soon for the swap for the new ones... I suppose we could just buy an after market from brembos or stoptech and call it a day but ain't no body got money for that . I just bought Centric calipers from rockauto they say they make OEM products so hopefully i swap em out soon! I bought both for about $230 and i get a CORE option which I can return the old ones and get 75$ back for each caliper...
They are re manufactured/rebuild they are not brand new, This is why I suggested going with brand new one's so they can at least last a few years. But its too late for that now, once you install them update us on how it is working. Also make sure to bleed the brake system, I use Motiv brake bleeder it works magic.
Old 02-25-15, 11:52 AM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

They are re manufactured/rebuild they are not brand new, This is why I suggested going with brand new one's so they can at least last a few years. But its too late for that now, once you install them update us on how it is working. Also make sure to bleed the brake system, I use Motiv brake bleeder it works magic.
So... you're saying that i basically bought seized calipers?!? or just more prone to seizing? I might just get a mechanic to install them for me.... but i wanna try this myself since i messed up last time and couldnt find the bleeders cause I'm blind... I Think I'm going to try the water bottle method
Old 02-25-15, 12:06 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

So... you're saying that i basically bought seized calipers?!? or just more prone to seizing? I might just get a mechanic to install them for me.... but i wanna try this myself since i messed up last time and couldnt find the bleeders cause I'm blind... I Think I'm going to try the water bottle method
You did not buy seized calipers, you bought re manufactured calipers, which means they were seized, broken or something was wrong with them where a company takes them and puts in all new parts (rebuilds). New parts are not OEM parts, which prone to be less reliable. Bleeder screw is covered by a rubber boot on top of the caliper, you can do it yourself.
Old 02-25-15, 05:02 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by alredxiii
I feel for you guys that live up north besides brutal cold rust is terrible on your vehicles
Thanks for feeling us and it sucks up here but the snow has them benefits!
Old 02-25-15, 05:08 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

You did not buy seized calipers, you bought re manufactured calipers, which means they were seized, broken or something was wrong with them where a company takes them and puts in all new parts (rebuilds). New parts are not OEM parts, which prone to be less reliable. Bleeder screw is covered by a rubber boot on top of the caliper, you can do it yourself.
ahh i get it now! i took a pic of the bleeder on my first post it doesnt have the rubber cap... so i guess a mechanic prob stole it or something . I just got my remaned calipers today!

Old 02-25-15, 07:44 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

looking good. when is the install?
Old 02-26-15, 10:51 AM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

looking good. when is the install?
probably when its a bit warmer... Its freezing in the boroughs! Unless there's a spot where i can do it! maybe this weekend?? If anything imma head to a shop to do it for me.
Old 02-26-15, 08:05 PM
razerlazer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent!

I'd be inclined to paint those callipers if you have the time with heat resistant paint.
Old 02-26-15, 08:32 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by razerlazer
Excellent!

I'd be inclined to paint those callipers if you have the time with heat resistant paint.
I'm note sure if my friend just spray painted his calipers red and they seem to look fine... but he did **** up because he painted a rubber part which... im not enitrely sure if it does affect it... I'm probably ganna leave this stock looking since its more of my dads car... just tryna fix it
Old 02-26-15, 08:46 PM
razerlazer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go black and stealth then

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GS 350 07 rear brake rotor rust...