GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

vrsc,vsc abs, afs and track lights on after alternator change

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 09:10 AM
lexxus86
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vrsc,vsc abs, afs and track lights on after alternator change

Hello all as it says I had my alternator changed and when I got the car back my steering wheel was turned to the right like at 6 o clock but my wheels are straight. Along with the steering wheel my check vsc light check vrsc light as well as the afs light and the abs light are on.... I made a huge mistake and had the work done at midas... Which is still no reason for them to tear my car up... But now they are being difficult saying they have no clue how it got that way. Cars throwing the codes c1289 and c1304. I'm going crazy and it sucks my car is like this now. Please help lol.
Old 02-02-15, 09:54 AM
SILENTM
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Have you tried making a couple of circle/ fig 8 turns. did they remove the steering to change the alternator? may need to reconnect the steering correctly then do and alignment and reset/calibrate the steering angle sensor.
Old 02-02-15, 10:10 AM
lexxus86
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SILENTM
Have you tried making a couple of circle/ fig 8 turns. did they remove the steering to change the alternator? may need to reconnect the steering correctly then do and alignment and reset/calibrate the steering angle sensor.
They had a machine to calibrate steering at another shop ran the test and it did nothing. And as for the figure 8s I have done some hard turning but no figure 8s. They lifted car to change alternator didn't take steering off I don't think. I'm pretty clueless and the shop isn't trying to help me fix what they did.
Old 02-02-15, 12:08 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

keep us updated on this one. have not heard of this issue before. thanks and good luck
Old 02-02-15, 03:51 PM
Wht95scort
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lights are all on because the steering wheel is off center. The steering angle sensor sees this and is setting the codes. Why they messed with your steering is beyond me. Have them set it back correctly as in making sure the rack is centered to the wheel. Not them just doing an alignment and causing one inner tie rod to be maxed out ready to fall off and the other all the way in.
Old 02-02-15, 04:46 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

This happened to me a few weeks ago when I got my alternator replaced, it ended being a loose battery terminal connection.

I only found it because i thought it was a bad gas cap so I bought a new one and swapped it. When that didn't clear the dash lights, i attempted to clear it by removing the negative terminal....that's when i found the loose connection. I tightened it up, and the problem went away.
Old 02-02-15, 05:05 PM
lexxus86
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by msgs350
This happened to me a few weeks ago when I got my alternator replaced, it ended being a loose battery terminal connection.

I only found it because i thought it was a bad gas cap so I bought a new one and swapped it. When that didn't clear the dash lights, i attempted to clear it by removing the negative terminal....that's when i found the loose connection. I tightened it up, and the problem went away.
I have to check into this. The shop disconnected battery and tried turning wheel to original position and still no go... And when it was fixed your wheel just went back to normal position??
Old 02-02-15, 05:06 PM
lexxus86
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Wht95scort
The lights are all on because the steering wheel is off center. The steering angle sensor sees this and is setting the codes. Why they messed with your steering is beyond me. Have them set it back correctly as in making sure the rack is centered to the wheel. Not them just doing an alignment and causing one inner tie rod to be maxed out ready to fall off and the other all the way in.
Shops being funny wanting me to take it to Lexus and have them figure it out. Lol after they screwed it up.
Old 02-02-15, 05:11 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by lexxus86
I have to check into this. The shop disconnected battery and tried turning wheel to original position and still no go... And when it was fixed your wheel just went back to normal position??
I never has an issue with my wheel or steering wheel? I'm not even sure why they would need to mess with it to get to the alternator. Curious, what did you pay for parts and labor for the alternator replacement?.
Old 02-02-15, 09:37 PM
lexxus86
Driver School Candidate

Labor was about $171 and i forgot how much the alternator was itself. I'm just really confused about the steering wheel.... It's blowing my mind.
Old 02-03-15, 09:50 AM
warandcar
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe you can take it to lexus have the tech figure out what they did wrong. write that in the report and see a lawyer for reimbursement.
Old 02-03-15, 04:30 PM
lexxus86
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by warandcar
maybe you can take it to lexus have the tech figure out what they did wrong. write that in the report and see a lawyer for reimbursement.
Yea guess I'll have to do that... Sucks I have to shell out $$ cause they screwed up... Changing am alternator shouldn't have created this problem and I shouldn't have to deal with these issues... Ashame how this country works... I'm a disabled veteran had my bod tore up to get treated like crap by some civilians... Ashamed folks won't own up to a mistake that they made.
Old 02-04-15, 12:04 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree...but I truly believe they don't have a clue as to what happened or how to fix it. I would take it to Lexus and pass the cost back to Midas or whoever did the work. If they don't want to pay then it's time to get a lawyer. Make sure you let Lexus know what work was done so they can document the reason this is happening. Good luck!
Old 02-04-15, 08:07 PM
roland89
Driver School Candidate

I had the lights problem but not the steering I suggest to put an oem altnator I did aftermarket n not even a year n it went on me
Old 02-04-15, 09:55 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch, smart suggestion take it to lexus to have it figured out and have Midas pay for it.

Quick Reply: vrsc,vsc abs, afs and track lights on after alternator change