GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2008 GS350 AWD Feeling a little pigeon held

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-15, 10:18 AM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrParlay
Nice drop Phantom. How much did the custom axel back and custom plate for your motor mount cost you if you don't mind me asking?
Can you explain this motor mount situation you're speaking of? What exactly does it do to address the shortening of the axles when you lower our cars? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-04-15, 10:24 AM
PhantomV
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kuleaze
Can you explain this motor mount situation you're speaking of? What exactly does it do to address the shortening of the axles when you lower our cars? Thanks in advance!
sure, no problem. so what was done was a 1/4 " plate was designed and fitted in between the motor mount insert and bracket. the idea was to raise the motor when lowering the car to keep the axles angle close to stock as possible. you could feel the difference but not all the vibrations went away.
Old 02-04-15, 01:38 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PhantomV
sure, no problem. so what was done was a 1/4 " plate was designed and fitted in between the motor mount insert and bracket. the idea was to raise the motor when lowering the car to keep the axles angle close to stock as possible. you could feel the difference but not all the vibrations went away.
I see what you're saying. Did you measure the axle prior to the drop to determine how much lift you would need on the engine to return the axle to OEM specs? I obviously haven't gotten that far yet, but I'm guessing you would mark the axle, then lower, and then see where the mark is to determine how much length you lost, or what the change was. That change should tell me how long I need to make the custom axles, or how high the engine needs to come up to return the axles back to there starting point, thus eliminating the vibration.
Old 02-04-15, 02:23 PM
PhantomV
Rookie

I see what you're saying. Did you measure the axle prior to the drop to determine how much lift you would need on the engine to return the axle to OEM specs? I obviously haven't gotten that far yet, but I'm guessing you would mark the axle, then lower, and then see where the mark is to determine how much length you lost, or what the change was. That change should tell me how long I need to make the custom axles, or how high the engine needs to come up to return the axles back to there starting point, thus eliminating the vibration.
unfortunately my boy did the work without me so I don't know how he went about it. But from what I saw, we had a limited amount of room to work with since you can only lift the motor but so far. it was put at a safe measurement. Not if you can get custom axles to work....please let us know. This was just a little Something that was whipped up due to not wanting to put those "rings" on my axles.
Old 02-04-15, 02:28 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PhantomV
unfortunately my boy did the work without me so I don't know how he went about it. But from what I saw, we had a limited amount of room to work with since you can only lift the motor but so far. it was put at a safe measurement. Not if you can get custom axles to work....please let us know. This was just a little Something that was whipped up due to not wanting to put those "rings" on my axles.
I'm hoping to get to it this summer and I have every intention of letting everyone know the outcome. I'm optimistic about the results, only cause my friend has dealt with this in the past. He's well known in the Porsche community here where we live for setting up track cars and knows quite a bit about suspension components. He knew exactly what I was talking about when I told him our AWD cars vibrate when lowered. I will for sure update once I have this completed.
Old 02-04-15, 02:52 PM
PhantomV
Rookie

I'm hoping to get to it this summer and I have every intention of letting everyone know the outcome. I'm optimistic about the results, only cause my friend has dealt with this in the past. He's well known in the Porsche community here where we live for setting up track cars and knows quite a bit about suspension components. He knew exactly what I was talking about when I told him our AWD cars vibrate when lowered. I will for sure update once I have this completed.
Look forward to it