GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2008 GS350 AWD Feeling a little pigeon held

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-15, 05:06 AM
IamAriGold
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 GS350 AWD Feeling a little pigeon held

Christmas eve I bought the car. I love the ride car's sweet. Although as I started getting into it I started to realize that it's a lot more difficult to get aftermarket performance parts for this car as opposed to other GS's.

Are there any knowledgeable people here who can talk about what they did for suspension and exhaust mods?
I can't seemingly go anywhere and just assume thee few things are gonna be smooth. Especially exhaust kits. It feels like I really am going to have to go custom or don't bother. Catback is almost non existent for all intensive purposes. I wanted a throaty sound without "necessarily" going the HKS route.

If anyone know's the GS350 AWD you know about the stance issues. Enter the conversation about bouncy suspension and vibrations with the wrong springs.

Just looking for a little knowledge in these areas.
Old 02-02-15, 02:00 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Not really there should be a couple aftermarket items for springs and exhaust for 3GS. You could go with Tanabe springs, Tein or even the F-sport springs through Lexus. Exhaust you can get Tanabe as well and M2 also Megan there are a bunch of options. Some complained but others didn't have an issue with vibration, you should be good.
Old 02-02-15, 12:08 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IamAriGold
Christmas eve I bought the car. I love the ride car's sweet. Although as I started getting into it I started to realize that it's a lot more difficult to get aftermarket performance parts for this car as opposed to other GS's.

Are there any knowledgeable people here who can talk about what they did for suspension and exhaust mods?
I can't seemingly go anywhere and just assume thee few things are gonna be smooth. Especially exhaust kits. It feels like I really am going to have to go custom or don't bother. Catback is almost non existent for all intensive purposes. I wanted a throaty sound without "necessarily" going the HKS route.

If anyone know's the GS350 AWD you know about the stance issues. Enter the conversation about bouncy suspension and vibrations with the wrong springs.

Just looking for a little knowledge in these areas.
Not sure if you saw this already, but thought you might like to see/hear the Megan mid-pipe made for our GS350's... This was just posted a few days ago...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ipe-gs430.html
Old 02-02-15, 01:54 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya the awd is a lost cause for lowering.

even with the lowering blocks, you will still look high off the ground since it was pretty high to begin with.

platinum vip in so cal is familiar with the awd issue and said u need to do some mods to the axle itself to appropriately fix the issue with th shorter awd axles.

a mild drop with the rca blocks may not cause any problems, but to get any substantial drop there are no other solutions than to modify the axles.
Old 02-02-15, 02:12 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tantrix
ya the awd is a lost cause for lowering.

even with the lowering blocks, you will still look high off the ground since it was pretty high to begin with.

platinum vip in so cal is familiar with the awd issue and said u need to do some mods to the axle itself to appropriately fix the issue with th shorter awd axles.

a mild drop with the rca blocks may not cause any problems, but to get any substantial drop there are no other solutions than to modify the axles.
I'll second what Tantrix has said. I have a friend who builds and maintains Porsche race cars and I've talked with him about this issue. His recommendation was to purchase the coil overs, then have custom axles made to make up for the short length of the axle. My plan is to have this done and then report back on the company and specs of the axles - assuming this works. It better work, cause I can't deal with the huge gap in the front anymore!!
Old 02-03-15, 12:20 AM
MrParlay
Driver School Candidate

I have F Sport springs and also dual F Sport exhaust on mines. As you know the AWD models stock has about a 5 finger gap from fender to top of tire (at least with mines it does on 19in f sport rims). After installing the f sport springs and spring settling there is about a 2 finger gap from fender to top of tire. It does not have the "slammed" look but definitely makes the car look more like a stock RWD GS 350 and less like a 4x4 Jeep. As for the vibration I did notice it after installing springs but since the drop is subtle vibration is not that bad and still rides pretty stiff with not much bounce. The lower your drop the more vibration you will feel if you get it at all. F Sport exhaust has a nice deep sound that is not too loud.
Old 02-03-15, 09:44 AM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MrParlay
I have F Sport springs and also dual F Sport exhaust on mines. As you know the AWD models stock has about a 5 finger gap from fender to top of tire (at least with mines it does on 19in f sport rims). After installing the f sport springs and spring settling there is about a 2 finger gap from fender to top of tire. It does not have the "slammed" look but definitely makes the car look more like a stock RWD GS 350 and less like a 4x4 Jeep. As for the vibration I did notice it after installing springs but since the drop is subtle vibration is not that bad and still rides pretty stiff with not much bounce. The lower your drop the more vibration you will feel if you get it at all. F Sport exhaust has a nice deep sound that is not too loud.
Where did you purchase the F Sport springs and exhaust? Can you provide a link? Also, do you have any before and after pictures showing ride height? I'm not looking to slam the car, so if this does what you say, it sounds like a cheaper way to go!!
Old 02-03-15, 02:52 PM
MrParlay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kuleaze
Where did you purchase the F Sport springs and exhaust? Can you provide a link? Also, do you have any before and after pictures showing ride height? I'm not looking to slam the car, so if this does what you say, it sounds like a cheaper way to go!!
Sorry not sure why its not letting me post the pictures but will try to post the before and after pix later. You can find the parts @lexus.sewellparts.com. I have a pic of the car after springs were installed on my profile page. I did look into getting BC or Megan Racing coil overs but went with the f sport springs to keep the car all f sport. Plus I was just looking for a mild drop to reduce the big gap between the wheel and tire. Going with the springs you will save some $ but after installation cost for about $200 more I could have bought the Megan racing coil overs or for about $350 could have gone with the BC's and installed them myself. For anyone that has dropped a car knows it's no fun trying to remove spring from strut lol but if have you the right tools and can change the spring yourself you will save yourself about 200 on installation/labor cost.
Old 02-03-15, 04:00 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Sorry not sure why its not letting me post the pictures but will try to post the before and after pix later. You can find the parts @lexus.sewellparts.com. I have a pic of the car after springs were installed on my profile page. I did look into getting BC or Megan Racing coil overs but went with the f sport springs to keep the car all f sport. Plus I was just looking for a mild drop to reduce the big gap between the wheel and tire. Going with the springs you will save some $ but after installation cost for about $200 more I could have bought the Megan racing coil overs or for about $350 could have gone with the BC's and installed them myself. For anyone that has dropped a car knows it's no fun trying to remove spring from strut lol but if have you the right tools and can change the spring yourself you will save yourself about 200 on installation/labor cost.
Yeah the labor isn't going to be an issue, I'd do the work myself. Are the photos you have on your profile the only ones you have? Any chance you have a full side view? From the pictures you have on your profile, I'd probably want a little more drop. With that said, it looks like coilovers is going to be my best option, especially if we're only talking $200-$350 difference.
Old 02-03-15, 08:47 PM
MrParlay
Driver School Candidate

Yeah the labor isn't going to be an issue, I'd do the work myself. Are the photos you have on your profile the only ones you have? Any chance you have a full side view? From the pictures you have on your profile, I'd probably want a little more drop. With that said, it looks like coilovers is going to be my best option, especially if we're only talking $200-$350 difference.
If you're able to install springs yourself you'd save another couple hundred bucks on top of the $200/$350 difference for coil overs. I put a filter on these photos so the gaps on before and after pix are more clear for comparison. These pix were taken right before and after installing . On stock springs I could clear 5 fingers from top of tire to bottom end of fender it is about a 2 finger clearance all the way around now. After the springs settled the front end is about a .25-.50 inch lower compared to the after pic taken here. Unless someone's not aware of the stock height on the AWD model closing gap another .25-.50 inch makes a big difference. Hope these helped. Whatever you decide to go with whether it be springs or coil overs if you have a chance and don't mind posting your before and after pic on this thread. Would like to hear your input with the ride quality on yours after having them installed. Thanks

Before

After
Old 02-03-15, 09:12 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

If you're able to install springs yourself you'd save another couple hundred bucks on top of the $200/$350 difference for coil overs. I put a filter on these photos so the gaps on before and after pix are more clear for comparison. These pix were taken right before and after installing . On stock springs I could clear 5 fingers from top of tire to bottom end of fender it is about a 2 finger clearance all the way around now. After the springs settled the front end is about a .25-.50 inch lower compared to the after pic taken here. Unless someone's not aware of the stock height on the AWD model closing gap another .25-.50 inch makes a big difference. Hope these helped. Whatever you decide to go with whether it be springs or coil overs if you have a chance and don't mind posting your before and after pic on this thread. Would like to hear your input with the ride quality on yours after having them installed. Thanks

Before

After
Yeah, there's definitely a difference in ride height. Thanks for posting. What size rims are you running? Just trying to gauge how much my wheel will fill the extra space. Right now I have my winter rims on (18s), but in the summer I put 20s on, guessing that will help fill some of the gap.

I will definitely post once they're done, but it's going to be a little while. I have a feeling, I'm going to go coilovers, but I have to talk more with my buddy who does this for a living, see how much custom axles are going to run me. He says that will definitely get rid of any vibration. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-04-15, 08:45 AM
PhantomV
Rookie

O6 GS300 AWD on board. I have PPE headers on mine with a custom axle back i got from a member in my area. I'm lowered on BC-R Coilovers with a custom plate on motor mount to help with vibrations (i have a little less vibrations now). that is just a little of whats done to mine that can help you.

you'll get vibrations once you drop around 15-20 mph. and when the car is sitting still but you get used to it. they aren't that bad, i'm used to it.
Old 02-04-15, 09:17 AM
MrParlay
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, there's definitely a difference in ride height. Thanks for posting. What size rims are you running? Just trying to gauge how much my wheel will fill the extra space. Right now I have my winter rims on (18s), but in the summer I put 20s on, guessing that will help fill some of the gap.

I will definitely post once they're done, but it's going to be a little while. I have a feeling, I'm going to go coilovers, but I have to talk more with my buddy who does this for a living, see how much custom axles are going to run me. He says that will definitely get rid of any vibration. Fingers crossed.
Riding on 19 in F Sport rims. That's great to hear they finally found a solution for the vibration. Would be great to know how much that would cost too. If you're able to fix the vibration situation having coil overs would be a good route to go since you can adjust your ride height being that you're from up north and you're having to switch your wheel set up from summer to winter.
Old 02-04-15, 09:20 AM
MrParlay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PhantomV
O6 GS300 AWD on board. I have PPE headers on mine with a custom axle back i got from a member in my area. I'm lowered on BC-R Coilovers with a custom plate on motor mount to help with vibrations (i have a little less vibrations now). that is just a little of whats done to mine that can help you.

you'll get vibrations once you drop around 15-20 mph. and when the car is sitting still but you get used to it. they aren't that bad, i'm used to it.
Nice drop Phantom. How much did the custom axel back and custom plate for your motor mount cost you if you don't mind me asking?
Old 02-04-15, 10:06 AM
PhantomV
Rookie

Nice drop Phantom. How much did the custom axel back and custom plate for your motor mount cost you if you don't mind me asking?
thank MrParlay The plate was done by a good friend of mine, he made it for his and gave me mine at the same time as testers. the axle back, i don't know who made it since i purchased it from a member who parted out his GS so i don't know how much just an axle back might cost sorry.

Quick Reply: 2008 GS350 AWD Feeling a little pigeon held