GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Joining the party

Old 01-11-15, 07:52 PM
1ofthe2000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joining the party

Finally pulled the trigger and got myself a 2010 GS350. Black ext, black int, on stock 18's. Super smooth ride. Even though I did months of research I'm still learning about what it can do. Since it is RWD and I live in Utah it does snow. Not like back east but do get some bad storms. My question is what are the best snow tires are there for a GS. I have heard the michellins are good but some say for the price they are not worth it. I have heard the blizzaks are great for the price and do well, but others hated them. Just wanted to get your input. Thanks in advance. I look forwarding to learning from all of you.
Old 01-11-15, 08:36 PM
DuwayneWeb
Driver School Candidate

Welcome to the club, I just picked up a 07 GS350, Black on Black. I wanted a 460 but they are just as rare as my last car.

What do you have planned for the car?
Old 01-11-15, 09:45 PM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wanted a 460 but price is outta my range so I settled for the 430. Welcome aboard my friend. Any plans for it other than snow tires?
Old 01-12-15, 05:41 AM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Continental DWS tire

I also have RWD - 2008 GS 350

These tires saved me last winter in Louisville
Old 01-12-15, 09:44 AM
jdmek998
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Welcome aboard! Great car all around.
Old 01-12-15, 11:05 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman50
Continental DWS tire

I also have RWD - 2008 GS 350

These tires saved me last winter in Louisville
I tried that, not great tire. Very rough ride. Very loud toward the end.

Now I am trying Conti PureContact with EcoPlus. A huge improvement. It have the DWS imprinted on the tread too.
Old 01-12-15, 09:43 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Welcome to the forums....
Old 01-13-15, 08:56 AM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i've only had my 09' GS for a couple of weeks and am finding the ride pretty stiff. Awesome on smooth surfaces..but a little rough for average roads. The car has basically new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires on it, which are a pretty highly rated all season performance tire. Are these part of my ride issue....or do these GS's just ride very stiff over the bumps??
Old 01-13-15, 09:49 AM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

I took my 20s off and put on the stock 18s with Continental PureContact ECCO+ for this winter and they've been great. They're more of a three season tire, but even with all the snow we get here in Chicago I don't run snow tires. It sounds like you get mild winters in Utah, these Continental's would be fine for your application. The price is around $180 a tire hear in Chicago. I drove my wife's car the other day and man what a difference, my AWD GS350 gets through the snow like a 4x4 truck, it's crazy!! Her car just spins and takes forever to get up to speed!!

Welcome to the Lexus family!! Post some pictures of your ride!

Last edited by Kuleaze; 01-13-15 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-13-15, 10:01 AM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

One more thing, I learned this at the Firestone dealer yesterday, snow tires need to be taken off once the weather hits around 40 degrees. I'm not sure what the temperatures average in Utah during the winter, but something to consider. I was told it has something to do with the softness of the tire, which makes snow tires more applicable to colder climates and snowier conditions.
Old 01-13-15, 10:57 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kuleaze
One more thing, I learned this at the Firestone dealer yesterday, snow tires need to be taken off once the weather hits around 40 degrees. I'm not sure what the temperatures average in Utah during the winter, but something to consider. I was told it has something to do with the softness of the tire, which makes snow tires more applicable to colder climates and snowier conditions.
Good to hear ur conti Eco+ is doing great.

I got snow tires for my mom's car and it has been on all year. Her commutes are short and it seem OK. I took it on the highway a few times and didn't feel any flat spot like I got with the dws. Her car is a Honda so it could absorb the vibration cause by flat spot.
Old 01-13-15, 08:13 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Originally Posted by worker
Good to hear ur conti Eco+ is doing great.

I got snow tires for my mom's car and it has been on all year. Her commutes are short and it seem OK. I took it on the highway a few times and didn't feel any flat spot like I got with the dws. Her car is a Honda so it could absorb the vibration cause by flat spot.
I'm not sure flat spots with winter tires is the issue. I was told they are much softer than normal tires. If you ride them above a certain temp, they'll wear faster than an all season tire; which is probably something you haven't noticed since your mom doesn't drive much. The soft compound thing makes sense cause I used to have a 5.0 Mustang and the tires I used for street racing were really soft. I never drove with them on all the time cause it would eat at the tread and they wouldn't last... Just something to consider.
Old 01-13-15, 08:20 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Here, I found an article on TireRack.com... It basically says the same thing I did, but broadens the temperature range by saying 40s instead of 40.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/docs-a...all-snow-tires
Old 01-14-15, 07:52 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kuleaze
Here, I found an article on TireRack.com... It basically says the same thing I did, but broadens the temperature range by saying 40s instead of 40.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/docs-a...all-snow-tires
summer here can go over 100. Last summer it was around 80 and 90 but went over 100 a few times. I expected the tires to last maybe 2 years considering "winter tire" softness. But from the look of it (with loads of tread over 1 year use), it could easily make it to 4 years.

I'm trying the Eco+ and so far it is much better than DWS. DWS was very rough over bumps since install, and very noisy toward the end of it's 50k mile warranty.
Old 01-14-15, 08:41 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've had Michelin Xi2s on my AWD for a few years and they have done well even in wild weather. Nothing like driving around other people when they're stuck, hardly moving, or travelling backwards down a snowy/icy hill.

I hope when that happens they think to themselves, maybe I shouldn't be so friggin' cheap and get winter tires so everyone can be a little safer.

To those saying DWS, that's not even a winter tire... I suppose it's better than a summer tire but still useless in any kind of real freezing cold driving.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Joining the party