GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

A winter precaution

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-15, 01:23 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation A winter precaution

Hello,
As we all know with every winter there are ton of pot holes on the road, Well long story short I hit one of them and got a bubble on my tire, Ordered a tire from tirerack, while waiting on it woke up today to notice that tire was completely out of air. Changed the tire for a spare, my spare tire only had 10 psi in it, book suggest 60 psi at all times. I have a 2007 GS350. Its 7 years old and the spare never seen air put in it, next time you are at the gas station its a good precaution to check the air pressure in the spare tire, if it is below 60 psi fill it up. It not a good experience driving on a spare with 10 psi, thank god I was a quarter mile away from the nearest gas station otherwise it was very hard to drive the car, it was pulling to the right really bad.
Old 01-07-15, 02:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

good info

let me guess, you never saw the tpms light either (for spare)?
Old 01-07-15, 04:12 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
good info

let me guess, you never saw the tpms light either (for spare)?
The spare is not equiped with a TPMS sensor, I am actually happy it doesn't. I had to replace a Tpms sensor with programing cost $200.
Old 01-07-15, 06:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
The spare is not equiped with a TPMS sensor, I am actually happy it doesn't. I had to replace a Tpms sensor with programing cost $200.
that's what i am trying to get to

so much for those who claim there are 5 tpms in the 3gs
Old 01-07-15, 07:25 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I carry this in the car.
http://www.target.com/p/black-decker...FQIQ7AodN08AHA

Sometime air pump at the gas station doesn't work in cold weather like today.
Old 01-07-15, 08:45 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
that's what i am trying to get to

so much for those who claim there are 5 tpms in the 3gs
By looking at the rim valve stem if it is rubber then it is not a tpms sensor. Carrying an air pump in the car is not worth it, because I rarely come across issues like that. It would be extra useless stuff in my trunk

Last edited by GS350Lexus; 01-07-15 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-08-15, 07:12 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have carried small 12V pumps in my trunk for ages. They are cheap and really only take a tiny bit of room and on more than one occasion have had to lend them to people who don't think to do so that end up with slow leaks in their tires away from home. It's also a lot more convenient than filling up air in at a gas station or pulling out the compressor at home.
Old 01-08-15, 08:40 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
.....lend them to people who don't think to do so that end up with slow leaks in their tires away from home.
but usually those ppl don't know their tire have low pressure or flat. They just keep on driving.

I hit a few HUGE potholes this holiday. I was traveling to places I rarely go. Luckily no damage to my tires, I did check them the next day to make sure all is well.

BTW, tirerack make you buy the road hazard warranty with the purchase and that should cover pothole. I'm not sure they make you pay for the shipping though. I buy a set from them earlier. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post8854705
Old 01-09-15, 09:02 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by worker
but usually those ppl don't know their tire have low pressure or flat. They just keep on driving.

I hit a few HUGE potholes this holiday. I was traveling to places I rarely go. Luckily no damage to my tires, I did check them the next day to make sure all is well.

BTW, tirerack make you buy the road hazard warranty with the purchase and that should cover pothole. I'm not sure they make you pay for the shipping though. I buy a set from them earlier. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post8854705
They don't make you buy it is included in the price of the tire, my experience with tire racks road hazard was pretty smooth, I got a bubble on my tire, called them up filled a claim, they asked I would go to a certified tire rack recommended installer/dealer to have him check the tire and call them up. Once I wen't there, the guy called the road hazard company explained it is a bubble, can not be repaired. They said alright you have a few options, you can buy a tire anywhere and we will cover the cost, or you can order from tirerack we will cover the tire and shipping - road hazard cost (which was not included in the price like $12-$13 dollars. Once I ordered the tire, submitted them the receipt within a few business days I had a check in the mail for the tire and shipping cost. Also they cover patches and plugs up to $25 per occurrence ( receipt required). Make sure everyone check air in the spare tire

Last edited by GS350Lexus; 01-09-15 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-09-15, 09:25 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

They don't make you buy it is included in the price of the tire, my experience with tire racks road hazard was pretty smooth, I got a bubble on my tire, called them up filled a claim, they asked I would go to a certified tire rack recommended installer/dealer to have him check the tire and call them up. Once I wen't there, the guy called the road hazard company explained it is a bubble, can not be repaired. They said alright you have a few options, you can buy a tire anywhere and we will cover the cost, or you can order from tirerack we will cover the tire and shipping - road hazard cost (which was not included in the price like $12-$13 dollars. Once I ordered the tire, submitted them the receipt within a few business days I had a check in the mail for the tire and shipping cost. Also they cover patches and plugs up to $25 per occurrence ( receipt required). Make sure everyone check air in the spare tire
"make you" and "included in the price" are the same thing to me. Both you have no choice of opt out. I would buy it anyway seeing so many pot holes.

I have to check if I have any "certified tire rack" around me. My previous "$12-$13" road hazard didn't require a certified, I called and if they need proof they would except a picture... and of course I pay for the shipping which I think it was around $25.

Good to know tirerack also included the shipping into the warranty.

I buy the plug and do them myself. Much faster and don't have to wait hrs at the shop.
Old 01-09-15, 01:20 PM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While we prefer a recommended installer check the tire, any repair shop can verify a repair or replacement. The stipulation for reimbursement is that you must provide an invoice.

You can click here to find our recommended installers for your area.

Glad to hear it went smooth for you GS350Lexus.
Old 01-09-15, 01:58 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJ@TireRack.com
While we prefer a recommended installer check the tire, any repair shop can verify a repair or replacement. The stipulation for reimbursement is that you must provide an invoice.

Can I take it to a Lexus dealer? They will give an invoice too. I want it done right 1st time.
Old 01-09-15, 04:47 PM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, not a problem.
Old 01-09-15, 09:39 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJ@TireRack.com

I have read on some of the reviews, sometimes they require you to ship the tire to them for inspection, is that true? (lets says a tire has a bubble) If it is, that would be a bit of inconvenience for the customer, because riding around on a spare is dangerous.
Old 01-10-15, 04:50 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

I have read on some of the reviews, sometimes they require you to ship the tire to them for inspection, is that true? (lets says a tire has a bubble) If it is, that would be a bit of inconvenience for the customer, because riding around on a spare is dangerous.
I hope pic alone is enough to expedite the replacement. Email take only a few seconds to send.

Quick Reply: A winter precaution