GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

electricals acting up. im hella mad

Old 11-30-14, 01:59 PM
408shark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electricals acting up. im hella mad

Just recently bought the car a month ago. This car has been giving me a lot of headaches. First my radio unit wouldnt work properly. That was a little problem to me that I can live with but now i have 217386198273123 problems. Just started my car today and my gauges are flickering. Seatbelt and airbag keep flickering on and off. AC says 32.0 temp and wont let me adjust it. Passenger windows dont work. Driver window goes up and down but isnt automatic anymore. I have to hold it both ways.

Anyone ever have or heard of these problems??
Thanks
Old 11-30-14, 08:24 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 408shark
Just recently bought the car a month ago. This car has been giving me a lot of headaches. First my radio unit wouldnt work properly. That was a little problem to me that I can live with but now i have 217386198273123 problems. Just started my car today and my gauges are flickering. Seatbelt and airbag keep flickering on and off. AC says 32.0 temp and wont let me adjust it. Passenger windows dont work. Driver window goes up and down but isnt automatic anymore. I have to hold it both ways.

Anyone ever have or heard of these problems??
Thanks
Check the battery and alternator...they wreck havoc on the computers and electrical system when the go bad.
Old 12-01-14, 02:26 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

As he said, your alternator is likely dying
Old 12-01-14, 02:34 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

start her up and take the negative connection off the battery. If she dies, then your alternator is too week to keep it running and you have closed in on you problem. If she continues to run, step on the gas while someone else looks at your headlights to see if they dim. If your accelerator is triggering the flickering etc, that is also a tell tale sign of a bad alternator in my experience as I had one go out on the wife's 2011 maxima way earlier than expected.
Old 12-01-14, 04:45 AM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like ASAVs idea, my wife's 2006 scion Tc had its alternator seized up on me after start up. I was lucky enough to run on battery so I can drive it to the dealership and get it replaced for $700.

Also another situation where in my old 2004 Toyota tundra, my negative connection came loose and off while I was running 80mph, popped the hood open and reattached it.

I'm experiencing a more mild case right now, I'm getting more of a static interference with the radio as I'm charging my phone, when I unplug my phone off the charger, radio station came back on. Thoughts and opinions being that we're in the same subject as the OP?
Old 12-01-14, 05:55 AM
jdmek998
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Sounds like a battery or alternator issue.
Old 12-01-14, 08:45 AM
warandcar
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hopefully an easy fix...
Old 12-01-14, 06:05 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Asav
start her up and take the negative connection off the battery. If she dies, then your alternator is too week to keep it running and you have closed in on you problem. If she continues to run, step on the gas while someone else looks at your headlights to see if they dim. If your accelerator is triggering the flickering etc, that is also a tell tale sign of a bad alternator in my experience as I had one go out on the wife's 2011 maxima way earlier than expected.
Ummmm....no....

Don't do this....thats the easiest way to do more damage to a computer or electronics...just go have someone perform a battery and alternator check...autoparts places do it for free...

Please don't recommend that to people with newer cars...
Old 12-02-14, 12:19 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
Ummmm....no....

Don't do this....thats the easiest way to do more damage to a computer or electronics...just go have someone perform a battery and alternator check...autoparts places do it for free...

Please don't recommend that to people with newer cars...

i must say, I am glad you chimed in here.I am no mechanic and I certainly don't want anyone's car ruined. I did this personally on my wife's 2011 Maxima - with backup camera, Nav, loaded without a problem with any internal components at all. That may have been luck if what you say is correct; AND, in hindsight, I traded the car in for her in 3 years to get a truck so we may not have had the car long enough to witness the long term impacts of doing that action..who knows.I'm inclined to be cautious and take your route.
Old 12-02-14, 08:08 AM
warandcar
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

true all of us are trusting and follow other peoples advice =)… auto zone and orielly auto parts offer this service for free...
Old 12-02-14, 10:09 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

[QUOTE=Asav;8809379]i must say, I am glad you chimed in here.I am no mechanic and I certainly don't want anyone's car ruined. I did this personally on my wife's 2011 Maxima - with backup camera, Nav, loaded without a problem with any internal components at all. That may have been luck if what you say is correct; AND, in hindsight, I traded the car in for her in 3 years to get a truck so we may not have had the car long enough to witness the long term impacts of doing that action..who knows.I'm inclined to be cautious and take your route.[/QUOTE

Asav, how it's going!? Hey, quick question, though it has nothing to do with this forum, I was curious. A co worker of mine just totalled her car, but she's fine. Now she's obviously in the market for a car. She likes the Challenger, Impala and Taurus (no comment), I asked her why not look at Maxima a few years old (I mentioned the Lexus GS but she claimed to be afraid of expensive repair cost). Is there a reason you got rid of the Max?
Old 12-03-14, 01:28 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

[QUOTE=CRowe14;8810863]
Originally Posted by Asav
i must say, I am glad you chimed in here.I am no mechanic and I certainly don't want anyone's car ruined. I did this personally on my wife's 2011 Maxima - with backup camera, Nav, loaded without a problem with any internal components at all. That may have been luck if what you say is correct; AND, in hindsight, I traded the car in for her in 3 years to get a truck so we may not have had the car long enough to witness the long term impacts of doing that action..who knows.I'm inclined to be cautious and take your route.[/QUOTE

Asav, how it's going!? Hey, quick question, though it has nothing to do with this forum, I was curious. A co worker of mine just totalled her car, but she's fine. Now she's obviously in the market for a car. She likes the Challenger, Impala and Taurus (no comment), I asked her why not look at Maxima a few years old (I mentioned the Lexus GS but she claimed to be afraid of expensive repair cost). Is there a reason you got rid of the Max?
I've had two of them actually 08 and 2011. Loved them both. Other than that alternator issue there were no problems at all. My wife is essential personnel during weather emergencies, as she is a physician, so we need something 4 wheel drive for when she gets stuck at the hospital, which actually happened last year. Otherwise I would have kept it.
Old 12-03-14, 08:24 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by warandcar
true all of us are trusting and follow other peoples advice =)… auto zone and orielly auto parts offer this service for free...
cool. gotta keep this in mind
Old 12-04-14, 01:49 PM
sa1showw
Driver School Candidate

I hope he gives us an update
Old 12-04-14, 01:52 PM
sa1showw
Driver School Candidate

but a good way to check the alternator is to pick up a multimeter from harbor freight, it's about 5 bucks. Hook it up to ur battery. Before starting, your DC volts should be 12+, get someone to start the car, and rev it a bit. You should see the voltage rise to 14+. If no rise, you have a bad alternator

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: electricals acting up. im hella mad