GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS 350 Alternator

Old 11-20-14, 08:55 PM
AudioBob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GS 350 Alternator

I couldn't find much information on replacing the alternator on a GS 350 so I wanted to share my experience. First off, I have an aftermarket stereo system so I am sure that it contributed to the premature demise of my alternator after 7 years and 134,000 miles of pretty much worry fre driving.

Not realizing what was going on, initially I noticed that my steering felt tighter a few weeks before the alternator failed completely. I had no other symptoms until the day that it failed until the car was started and the power steering did not work at all. I felt like I was wrestling an anaconda so I turned off the car. At that point my dash lit up like a Christmas tree and I immediately turned the car off. It would not start back up so I had a friend jump it thinking that the battery was going dead and I headed to autozone to have it checked. All was well until,the dash lights and gauges went crazy and the battery light came on and the car completely shut down in a hurry, including the headlights, turn signals and etc...

I feel fortunate that I was able to get the car off the road and stopped as I was going 70 mph on the expressway. I am just posting this so that maybe someone else will be able to recognize the symptoms of a failing alternator as you may not get much of a warning before it goes completely out.

The repair cost is not cheap because the A/C compressor is in the way and needs to be moved in order to access the alternator. Normally, I would replace an alternator myself, but it was 10* with snow so I sucked it up and paid $850 to have it done. Painful, but due to current time constraints I could not do it myself. There are not a lot of documented failures so I wanted to share my experience. The stock alternator is a great piece and I feel like it lasted for a long time considering the demands that I put on it. Just be prepared if yours goes out, especially of you are running an aftermarket stereo system.
Old 11-21-14, 05:27 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Sir, You do not have to do anything to the AC equipment. There are 3 bolts, 2 in the front and a side bracket into the block that need to be removed. Then you remove the block bracket from the alternator, a fourth bolt. It slips through the top with a little work. I plan to rebuild mine and got the front plate with the bearing already pressed in from Sewells. Also got the brush assembly. My wife's 2007 Gs350 has around 100k on it with original Alternator. I know she is on borrowed time with it.
Old 11-21-14, 07:05 PM
AudioBob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The repair sheet that I saw showed that the A/C compressor needed to be removed. I wish I had the time to look at it myself, but i was stuck this time and you know how shops are when it comes charging book rates based on following documented repair procedures. I have diagnosed and replaced alternators myself before as they are usually pretty easy, but this one looked to be buried in there pretty good so I didn't doubt the procedure to remove and replace. Hopefully I will never have to deal with it again as I doubt I will have this car for another 7 years.